Who is Josh with Unicycle.com

In the 90’s I started riding mountain bikes for fun and transportation here in Michigan. When I had free time I loved hanging out at my local bikeshop and eventually ended up working there part-time. I even kept up riding after I had my drivers license. Once I graduated I joined the service and continued to ride. Once out of the service I decided to weld while commuting on bicycle. After a year of welding I was t-boned by a truck giving me a compound fracture on my lower right hand side. The accident gave me 3 months to think about what I would like to do, at that point I decided to pursue my passion of cycling and get back into the Bicycle Industry. While I was waiting for a position to open at my local bikeshop I worked at a store doing sales, merchandising, inventory management and offloading of product. I continued riding to my jobs and mountain biking. One day a friend challenged me after a ride to try an old Schwinn 24” unicycle. After an hour I could ride about 50 feet, I was hooked to the challenge. Later that year in 2004 I got my first unicycle, a 26” Profile Racing Muni and joined this forum as mtdewuni.

Fast forward a couple years and 15 unicycles later I was a good customer and Dealer for Unicycle.com till 2007. I attended NAUCC in Michigan in 2007 and Unicycle.com offered me a position to come work for them as General Manager and as most of you may know, I took it. Since then I have had the privilege to work with Roger Davies and Amy Drummond to create unicycles with a purpose at every price level and use. A couple of my favorite projects have been the Nimbus Oregon, Hatchet, DoubleQuick seatpost clamp and the Air Saddle.

I really enjoy the increasing community of unicycle riders and helping our sport to grow. Having the privilege to make product others can enjoy like I do is awesome and hearing the adventures others have makes it all worth while bringing a smile to my face.

I look forward to working with you all and very glad the Forum is back up and running as I have missed it.

19 Likes

15 unicycles in 3 years? That’s 5 per year. respect! I had 14 years between my first and my second unicycle.
Nice to have you here Josh.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was so excited about unicycling I wanted to know and do more, my 2nd uni was a GB4 36" in red with and airfoil rim. It was so cool, I later rebuilt the wheel into a 1gen Schlumpf hub with the Nimbus lite blue 36er frame. Thru the forum back then I tracked I was the 2nd rider in the USA to have and ride a 36" with the 2-speed hub, the first was a guy in California, can’t remember his handle/name. I remember by the time the Ride the Lobster Race came around I decided for a normal/fixed hub for the race to bar off any extra mechanicals. Those in the race with the Schlumpf hub were unbelievably fast and unstoppable. Good times!

Welcome! Thanks for helping to grown the community and keep us on good equipment. I am a recent and old customer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much. Thank you for staying interested in riding, it is most rewarding no matter what the distance or terrain is. I also appreciate your support and feedback.

2 Likes