Who has completed a 100 mile ride?

I rode my first 100 miles on 7th July and have added my name to the list. I am 63 years old - could this make me a record holder for the oldest guy to ride the 100?

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike - Guinness record holder, 6hrs44min, August 1987, 42" wheel with short cranks (no dismounts!)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Erich Bevensee [10/09/10 Chilean/German,45,Ungeared 36"]
Bill ā€œRhinoā€ Mueller (10/29/10 - 42, 102 miles,10hr.51min.,ungeared 36)
Jeff Chamblee (June 5, 2011, USA, 46, Ungeared 36", 100.2 miles, 14 hrs 15min)
John Foss - 6/12/11, SilvaCycles KH/Schlumpf 36" (76 miles), 2002 Coker Deluxe with 125mm cranks (25 miles)
Jeff Ray 12/26/09 KH 125mm cranks ungeared. SILVER COMET/CHIEF LADIGA Anniston, AL to Atlanta GA.
Benjamin Richardson 12/28/10 KH 125mm Cranks ungeared - 30 miles of SNOW - Iā€™m claiming to be the first TYPE 1 Diabetic to ride 100 miles (actually clocked 101.1) in a day solo. SILVER COMET/CHIEF LADIGA Anniston, AL to Atlanta, GA. 13 hours 11 minutes
Andy Moore
Robert Youngren 11-06-2011, 8 hours 42 minutes, KH/Schlumpf 24" with 137mm cranks, Chief Ladiga - Silver Comet trail from Piedmont, Alabama to mile 13 marker on Silver Comet then back to Cedartown, Georgia for the finish.
Scott Wilton
Geoff Bond

WELL DONE GEOFF, Congratulations!!! :):):slight_smile:

please give us a detailed ride report!

Thanks! here is a short video that reveals a little detail.

I found it interesting and will compile a short reportā€¦

I watched it. Wow you were smart to have the extra 36er! Do you have footage of the bearing failure? what time did you start and finish?

Good stuff monocyclism :slight_smile:

What were the roads like? (and donā€™t say covered in tarmac).
If the last five miles were tough going uphill why didnā€™t you do the ride the other way around? That way youā€™d have been going downhill at the beginning.
:roll_eyes: Just wondering

Do please post a ride report, I like reading those.

Living in mountainous Wales I decided not do my first ā€˜100ā€™ attempt there. I rode in the flatter areas of Norfolk and Lincolnshire - but didnt reseach the exact topology. There were a few ups-and-downs here and there but the last five miles were a surprise, but once I got to 95 miles nothing was going to stop me. I found the whole thing interesting, I intend to write a ride report :slight_smile:

Cheers Geoff :slight_smile:

I can finally add my name to this list! At 15 years, 11 months and 9 days, I did my unicycle century :smiley: absolutely the best and most difficult thing I have ever done, and Iā€™d do it again in a heartbeat. You can learn a lot in 9 hours and 57 minutesā€¦
During the 99th mile, it began pouring. It wasnā€™t unfortunate; a necessary refreshment to an otherwise monotonous day of perfect weather and quiet people.
Then I saw a small child, no more than 7 years old, sitting down by the lake, covered in mud and drenched in rain with a fishing pole in hand and a smile on his face. I asked him what he was doingā€¦ he said he was fishing. ā€œI know,ā€ I said, ā€œbut why are you doing it?ā€ He told me he liked fishing, and cast his line into the water. Smart kid.

I guess thatā€™s why I unicycle.

Stats:
Official start time: 5:05am
Official end time: 3:02pm
Total distance in that time: 100.0 miles
Crank Size: 102mm
Unicycle: Coker Big One with Pi Bar and KH Slim Saddle

I used cycle shorts. It was a balmy 84F and partly sunny for all but the last two miles. I couldnā€™t ask for a better dayā€¦ and Iā€™m pretty sure it made my sinus infection go away :stuck_out_tongue:

Full ride write up to come soon, Iā€™m a bit busy currently.

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike - Guinness record holder, 6hrs44min, August 1987, 42" wheel with short cranks (no dismounts!)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
John Foss - 6/12/11, SilvaCycles KH/Schlumpf 36" (76 miles), 2002 Coker Deluxe with 125mm cranks (25 miles)
Jeff Ray 12/26/09 KH 125mm cranks ungeared. SILVER COMET/CHIEF LADIGA Anniston, AL to Atlanta GA.
Benjamin Richardson 12/28/10 KH 125mm Cranks ungeared - 30 miles of SNOW - Iā€™m claiming to be the first TYPE 1 Diabetic to ride 100 miles (actually clocked 101.1) in a day solo. SILVER COMET/CHIEF LADIGA Anniston, AL to Atlanta, GA. 13 hours 11 minutes
Andy Moore
Robert Youngren 11-06-2011, 8 hours 42 minutes, KH/Schlumpf 24" with 137mm cranks, Chief Ladiga - Silver Comet trail from Piedmont, Alabama to mile 13 marker on Silver Comet then back to Cedartown, Georgia for the finish.
Scott Wilton
Geoff Bond
Ian Murkve - 7-27-12, Coker Big One 36" Ungeared, 102mm cranks

Congrats on your first century! But I must ask, you said you did the ride in 9 hours 57 minutes, which matches the start and end times you listed. So you did the 100 mile NON-STOP without any breaks whatsover, or does the total time include breaks? If so, what was you in-saddle-only time?

That is total elapsed time, making it 100-10-1. Iā€™m not sure what my saddle time was. Iā€™m guessing roughly 9 hours. I took two real breaks, at mile 45 to go find change for a vending machine, and at mile 80 for lunch. Everything else was caused by street crossings.

Next time I ride a century (possibly in the next month) Iā€™m going to record saddle time to see a riding average.

And get some chamois buttā€™rā€¦ The day after, I have minimal soreness but many blisters where they should not be :stuck_out_tongue:

Milosboy: Nice job on the century. I use Glide and Chamois Buttā€™r if I ride over 30 miles. You have some good resolve to make it the whole 100 miles with no slickemputty.

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ve been meaning to do this for awhile, but stuff kept coming up.
Congrats on doing the STP again, thatā€™s amazing. I couldnā€™t imagine climbing on my unicycle for a second day of thatā€¦

I started feeling the chaffing around mile 80. I really should have gotten some buttā€™r, but itā€™s over now, so whatever. My sores will heal eventually.

My next goal is a double century in one day. I think Iā€™d be the youngest person to do that. Does anyone know how many people have unicycled a double century in one day? I know thereā€™s at least the 24hr record holder and Lars Clausen, but who else?

I carry an extra pair of cycling shorts to change into about half way through. I also bring a ziplock baggie filled with baby powder to sprinkle in there to keep things dry, and it really helps a lot.

50th birthday, 100 miles

Yesterday, September 29th, 2012 was my 50th birthday and I celebrated my halfway point by joining this list of 100 miles in a day riders. This has been a focus of mine since I got my 36er last February. I started my ride at about 5:10am in drizzle and darkness. I finished at about 5:40pm in beautiful sunshine. In between I was joined by friends and family who rode along with me on their bicycles. A highlight of my day was my 80 year old Dad riding along with me for 7 1/2 miles with a promise of a doughnut at the end of this stretch. Which I couldnā€™t buy because I didnā€™t have my wallet. he bailed me out again and we had our goodie. A friend of mine who was run over by a hit and run driver a year ago and almost lost his leg also joined me for a while on his first ride after a long rehab. he did 30 miles. Good to have you back riding Jim. My lovely wife kept me company for a 30 mile stretch and as always was my most confident supporter. All my blessings begin with her. My Mom and her iPad keeping Uncle Wade updated on my progress also kept me going when parts started to get saddle sore. lots of nutter butter and energy bars. I rode the foothills trail beginning in South Prarie, Washington to Puyallup. 15 miles in each direction. Fairly flat course with good surface to ride on, just back and forth until I was done. Terry, Patty and Shani, thanks for the company and laughs. You guys are great friends. Just under 10 hours of saddle time. I will figure out how to map this out with my Garmin and upload the data at another time. The garmin was my birthday gift so I have some software to load and some learning to do. All of the people on this list have inspired me for months. A great way to spend my 50th birthday.

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Andy Moore
Scott Wilton
Geoff Bond
Keith Board 9-29-2012, Nimbus impulse 36er ungeared 150mm cranks. 50th birthday ride.

Nobody has replied to this, so Iā€™ll offer that I donā€™t think anyone else on this list (or that Iā€™ve heard of) was older than you at the time. Congratulations for making a mockery of ā€˜old guysā€™ and giving us youngsters inspiration!

I wonder how many of us have had to change or repair equipment during our century rides? You were brilliant to bring a spare along! I had to get a ride home to get mine, and put it back together to fit me. Next time Iā€™ll have them both readyā€¦

Just curious, but where should your blisters be? :smiley:

Congratulations and happy birthday! I managed my century last year, while I was still 49. At some point Iā€™ll have to do it again to prove I still canā€¦

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi- 7hrs43min, 36"/110mm Unguni, 1600m climb/descent. Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge 2004.
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Andy Moore
Scott Wilton
Geoff Bond
Keith Board 9-29-2012, Nimbus impulse 36er ungeared 150mm cranks. 50th birthday ride.

I noticed weā€™re now putting more stats on our rides, so Iā€™ve added my personal best (Iā€™ve ridden 8 or 9 centuries, and one double century). Has anyone done a 100miles on a standard class 125mm/24" unicycle? Iā€™m thinking of doing the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge on a Standard Unicycle this year.

Iā€™m down with that. :sunglasses:

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi- 7hrs43min, 36"/110mm Unguni, 1600m climb/descent. Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge 2004.
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson 7/11/10 - 102 miles/11hr 2min. I had three separate spoke breakages
during my ride, and also filmed my century while riding. Non-geared KH 36er 110/125mm cranks. Changed to 125 hole for extended climbs.
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Andy Moore
Scott Wilton
Geoff Bond