Who has completed a 100 mile ride?

The list:

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike (record holder 6hrs44min)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas

Matt, congratulations! Where was the ride? What was it like?

I rode from Frankston to Portsea and then back into Melbourne.

Link to map:
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/100-on-1

The route follows the scenic eastern side of the bay. It is a popular cycling route, TdF and olympic riders often train there. It is undulating but without any large hills.

The weather was perfect - warm, sunny and a slight tailwind to push me home.

This was my second attempt at the 100 miles. My first attempt followed the same route but my tyre blew out at the 50 mile mark. I broke a spoke nipple early on in the ride this time however everything else survived intact. I was not trying for a quick time, I was just happy to finish the ride. It took 11 hours and 33 minutes.

somehow Iā€™m simultaneously surprised at the length and shortness of that list. I did a century into Winnipeg last year, and Iā€™ll be doing a 172k ride up to Ottawa in a few weeks.

Out of curiosity, is there a name for a 100k ride? is there a club for that? I think that was a bigger landmark for me than the 160.

for whoever is keeping track, my full name is Philip Schleihauf.

Bike riders call it a Metric Century.

Time to get around to adding my name to the list. Iā€™ve actually ridden two centuries. One by accident. The first one was a training ride for the Reach the Beach century a couple weeks ago. On the training ride my odometer read 78 miles. I was disappointed at the meager mileage. I was thinking somewhere at least in the mid 80ā€™s, maybe 90 miles. Three weeks later a friend said ā€œ78 miles? No way! Itā€™s 110 miles from my house and Iā€™d guess itā€™s 105 miles from your house.ā€ So I went to map my ride and traced it outā€¦Yep. 105 miles. No dramatic finish line, no champagne, just a ā€œHmm, I guess it was a century.ā€
Then on May 15th I rode the Reach The Beach 104 miles in 9:20. No champagne, but at least some bubbly beer and dinner and brownies.

Geoff

The list:

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton

naturequack - nice work breaking 10hrs!

Thanks Roland. I owe it all to Florian. Actually, I paid him off long ago, so weā€™re good. Really, it was all those cookies that powered me through. Part FOUR of the Reach The Beach saga to hit the news stands soon.
Geoff

Nice work Geoff - thatā€™s a fast time. Still on the V-frame I assume?

Nathan,
Yep, the V-Frame is still serving me well. Iā€™ll see if I can make it to the marathon in July at NAUCC.
Here I am shortly after crossing the finish line. I put on some new aerobars with elbow rests. They make all the difference in the world for a ride like that.

Geoff

Do any of you know the youngest person on the list? My friend might try one over the summer and heā€™s 15ā€¦ (Sorry if its in the thread, I didnā€™t want to read the whole thing.)

JuliaB,
I donā€™t think age has been mentioned in this thread, except for the upper age record. A 13 year old kid just climbed Mt. Everest so Iā€™m sure your friend could ride a century. Tell him to go for it.

Geoff

When we did our century in 2007 Beau was 15 years 3 months. Donā€™t know if thatā€™s a record or not.

The List:

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Svein Petter Vangsoy

I did 175 km in a 24 Hour mountain bike race i Norway 3-4 july : Geilo24
I was the only rider at 1 weel.

Thatā€™s an impressive distance for an off-road race! What was the course like?

Rob

Does anybody know who is the oldest person (at the time they did it) to have done a century? Iā€™m assuming everyone on this list completed their centuries in one day?

Yes you have to ride in one day to count. Then the harder goal is the 100-10-1, 100 miles, 10 hours, 1 person (no support).

I donā€™t know everyoneā€™s age on this list - we shouldā€™ve collected that I guess. I was 48 years young when I did mine, but Iā€™m sure thatā€™s not a record.

ā€”Nathan

I wonā€™t have any support, and Iā€™ll be my century solo. Iā€™ll be up at 4am, riding by 5:20am, and when I finish will depend a lot on the amount of people on the bike path in the afternoon. It gets downright congested with bikers, rollerbladers, runners, and people constantly crossing without looking! :roll_eyes: This is where my mph average drops quite a bit, but thereā€™s not much I can do about that.

Last Saturday I did a longer 75 mile training ride, and I finished the first 50 in 4.5 hours, but it was still relatively early am. But Iā€™d be happy to finish my century in 11 or so hours, with breaks included. Itā€™s the last half that will be the most challenging. Itā€™s also the last part that I have to ride 12 miles in traffic, with stop lights and intersections. :o

Bungeejoe is the oldest, than Nathan and I, I think.

Or this goal 100-10,000 squared- 1 which is 100 miles, 10,000ā€™ of climbing and an average riding elevation of 10,000ā€™, 1 person no support

Until this Sunday anyway! :smiley: (But then when Geoff does his, he will smash the age record! :slight_smile: )

Edit: Then Iā€™ll have to do it again, ā€œWhen Iā€™m sixty-four!ā€