Who has completed a 100 mile ride?

Ok, they were unicyclists, in a Unicon 10km race, and I was on a borrowed Coker with long cranks racing my heart out. It was almost flat and I just could not get ahead. The group of Japanese girls was about 6 riders, in tight formation, and they looked funny, just moving their ankles really, but speeding at 17-18mph. They were so little that the width of their waists looked to be about the width of one of my legs. Wish I had a photo. There was one slight downhill and I managed to get ahead a little, but then they caught up again and 3-4 of them ended up finishing ahead of me.

My point is that a 24" wheel can be ridden very fast with the proper cranks. I don’t remember the minimum length they used but it was at most 55mm and maybe 50. I think I heard later a Japanese rider was using 45mm. They don’t have room to store big cycles so it makes sense that they optimize small ones.

Corrigendum: I did not trust my eyes, but I just discovered that my setup was R 125/L 150 :o

Only 61mi.

What I forgot to mention and Terry knows is that this is all offroad! I do a 15.2mi version so I can get coffee at Tully’s on Euclid. The long cranks are so I can get up the hills. It mostly is like running paced. The repitition helped the last lap, which was the turtle slowest. Hard to freemount after about the third lap.

I did a lap there on my 36er with 114mm cranks, and it was a helluva workout, mostly due to the numerous BIG uphills along the way. I think a 29er would be perfect for that trail since there’s really nothing technical. It’s just hilly in spots which the 29er would eat up since it’s so light and responsive, not to mention fast! :smiley:

Dude - I think, never having done either (I’ve ridden 77 road miles once), that 61 miles off-road would be WAY harder than 100 on-road, unless the track is smooth as silk. Was it single-track, smooth, rough, what?

Heh. I’ll bet.

There’s a 2-hour MTB trail race that takes places a few times/yr here. Same as the upcoming muni-only race. This trail is gnarly, rooty, super-twisty, steep ups/downs, skinnies, many log-hops, etc. In 2 hours we ride only 10-12 miles. Even halfway through, I’m starting to use trees for mounting, turning. It’s exhausting. 61 miles of that would be godly.

I’ve done a Metric Century on the road on a 36er with 125mm cranks and 50 miles at a 12 Hour Mountain Bike race on a 24" with 150mm cranks a few years go:

The 50 miles of MUni on hilly, single-track with some technical sections was definitely much more difficult than the Metric Century. I got to the point on my last lap that it was very difficult to free mount and my legs were simply on fire! After I finished I had a difficult time walking the next couple of days! Phew!

And that from a guy who runs 100 miles a time.

Yeah but that kind of mileage on trails on a unicycle was a whole new kind of suffering I wasn’t exactly used to. Different. Obviously easier than covering the same distance on foot, but working a whole different set of muscles in a totally different way than running/walking. Then again I remember I didn’t exactly really train all that much before this and was pretty beaten up by back to back weeks of Marathons that immediately preceeded my MUni effort. Would like to take another crack at a 12 hour when I’m trained and not all burned out.

I decided putting a number to the chronological list will make sense. I’m attempting my first century this Saturday on the Seagull 2010 ( I have done already 2 metrics) and I want to know how big would be the club I’m joining , if I make it, wish me luck!!!

1 Peter Bier
2 David Stone
3 Roger Davies
4 Alan Chambers
5 Steve Colligan
6 Mark Wiggins
7 Takayuki Koike (record holder 6hrs44min)
8 Lars Clausen
9 Ken Looi
10 Floyd Beattie
11 Johnnie Severin
12 Cathy Fox
13 Bruce Dawson
14 Jack Hughes
15 Dan Heaton
16 Scot Cooper
17 Sam Wakeling
18 Chuck Edwall
19 Joe Marshall
20 John Himsworth
21 Gracie Sorbello
22 Rowan Chivers
23 Tony Melton
24 Tim Lee
25 Joe Lind
26 Rob Muellerleile
27 Irene Genelin
28 Beau Hoover
29 Nathan Hoover
30 Mike Scalisi
31 Ryan Woessner
32 ?~Xivind Johansen
33 Kjetil Juul Pedersen
34 James Amon
35 Leif Rustvold
36 Max Taint
37 Mark Osmundo
38 Mike Tierney
39 Joseph Sherman
40 Roland Kays
41 Claude Magnuson
42 Jan Logemann
43 Zeke Boisei
44 Paul Stacey
45 Joe Myers
46 Matthew Huber
47 Tom Blackwood
48 Sid Rajan
49 Dave Cox
50 Matthiew Rojda
51 Kevin Williams
52 Jack Olsen
53 Monty McFly
54 Matt Thomas
55 Geoff Houghton
56 Svein Petter Vangsoy
57 Frank Brown
58 Terry Peterson
59 Dan Hansen
60 David Smith
61 Philip Schleihauf
62 Frank Dugrillon

The aftermath…: I did it finally 100,5 miles

Ride Summary:

• Woke up at 4:15
  • Breakfast at 4:50
  • Headed to the Start line at 5:30
  • Crossed Start line at 5:55 AM
  • Total 15 Mountings.
  • Programmed stops at miles 10,20,27,34,40,50,57,66,76,84,93,100 ( one has to cross the road through a tunnel to make it to the last 100 ft to the finish line)
  • Forced stop on red lights ; mile 18 and 46.
  • Crossed the finish line at 7:07 PM , just when they were tearing apart the whole thing, and almost missed the chance to get a picture on it.
  • Moving time was 9 hours and 1 min and 3 seconds.
  • Average moving speed 11.1 MPH
  • Elapsed time was 13 hours and 12 min.
  • I was alone most of the ride. Cyclists started at 7:00 and caught with me by 8:00 AM ( first official rest-stop when I already had 2 hours on the roads. By the time I left the mile 57 ( third official rest-stop) I was between the last couple dozen riders…so I didn’t see much people from then on, and that is the last 5 hours.

Seagull Century out of Salisbury, MD is a beautiful ride and perfect for Unicyclist…a very FLAT RIDE ; my Garmin forerunner showed a total Ascent of 6190 ft, and also a total descent of 6190.

I feel so much respect now for those ever achieving a century under 10 hours…or in areas no as flat as MD’s Eastern Shore.

I already added a Century rider Number to all names…I suggest we add to it, some extra info the way I did, Geared/Ungeared should definitely be there.

1 Peter Bier
2 David Stone
3 Roger Davies
4 Alan Chambers
5 Steve Colligan
6 Mark Wiggins
7 Takayuki Koike (record holder 6hrs44min)
8 Lars Clausen
9 Ken Looi
10 Floyd Beattie
11 Johnnie Severin
12 Cathy Fox
13 Bruce Dawson
14 Jack Hughes
15 Dan Heaton
16 Scot Cooper
17 Sam Wakeling
18 Chuck Edwall
19 Joe Marshall
20 John Himsworth
21 Gracie Sorbello
22 Rowan Chivers
23 Tony Melton
24 Tim Lee
25 Joe Lind
26 Rob Muellerleile
27 Irene Genelin
28 Beau Hoover
29 Nathan Hoover
30 Mike Scalisi
31 Ryan Woessner
32 ?~Xivind Johansen
33 Kjetil Juul Pedersen
34 James Amon
35 Leif Rustvold
36 Max Taint
37 Mark Osmundo
38 Mike Tierney
39 Joseph Sherman
40 Roland Kays
41 Claude Magnuson
42 Jan Logemann
43 Zeke Boisei
44 Paul Stacey
45 Joe Myers
46 Matthew Huber
47 Tom Blackwood
48 Sid Rajan
49 Dave Cox
50 Matthiew Rojda
51 Kevin Williams
52 Jack Olsen
53 Monty McFly
54 Matt Thomas
55 Geoff Houghton
56 Svein Petter Vangsoy
57 Frank Brown
58 Terry Peterson
59 Dan Hansen
60 David Smith
61 Philip Schleihauf
62 Frank Dugrillon
63 Erich Bevensee [10/09/10 Chilean/German,45,Ungeared 36"]

Great job Erich! Congratulations.

Congratulations Erich! I know that some would argue that the century you just completed was made more difficult of its flatness. Pro’s and con’s for everything . . .

Regarding your sense that geared/ungeared info should attend century completions, maybe you’re right - we’re in the info age, but both ways are good and noteworthy efforts. I feel, in fact, that a geared century would be more difficult than ungeared. When profound fatigue sets in while schlumpfing, it becomes really hard to push the ‘big gear’ and I’ve found myself to be uncomfortably ‘lungey’ on the wheel. I love my Schlumpf for what it can do, but it is no panacea.

So; name, udc ‘name’, age, sex, country, wheel size, geared or standard, crank arm length, location, total distance covered (over 100 mi.) - all of it seems relevant, but unwieldy?

Thanks,

Of course they both are noteworthy, just trying to get and supply as much info as possible to serve as a reference for those like me , searching and finding as much as possible on the forum , to learn from others experience, and comparing one’s numbers. In this case , geared or ungeared seems to make a huge difference in riding time.

Without this forum I would have never bought a 36 in" (I’m 5’5") Here I learn all the tricks to get to ride one. Would have never cross my mind an aerobar or to off-set my seat backwards, or use a MTB seat. etc. Let alone riding a century ride.

Thanks …you too. Looking forward to your stats…!!!

As I see it, hugely lower times on geared 36er’s over 100 mile efforts come only from Supermen/women. If ones average cadence is 100 rpm ungeared over 100 miles with maximum effort, I would be surprised if that same person’s ave. cadence would approach 80 rpm’s geared (or some ratio thereabouts).
Math questions;
100 miles in 10 hours on ungeared 36er. What is the average cadence?
100 miles in 10 hours on geared 36er. What is the average cadence?

As someone who’s not (yet) on this list (my longest ride: 77 miles), I humbly suggest that the guni’s faster pace, while more tiring, allows one to reach the 100/10/1 goal with less chafe/saddle-soreness, and possibly more rest stops. Here’s a little mph/rpm chart.

uni_calcs_snapshot.jpg

I did Ungeared 11.1 MPH average…that translate into 103 RPM average.

Munimaq…would you give us your Geared average for your Century yesterday?

I think that terrain is the big ??? factor. Wind direction too. Give any of us a flat/downslope and stiff tailwind and we’d smoke that goal on a 36 guni. Beating against the wind on an upgrade w/36 guni is a recipe for burnin’ thighs. In this latter scenario, I’d pick my ungeared any day. Who ya gonna be - a Lance (spinner) or a Jan (churner)?

I vote to remove the numbers, the names are not in chronological order in any sense (especially the first 20 or so), just the order that people added them to the list, and in some cases people put their names in the middle not the bottom when adding.

It would be neat to have a chronological list, but adding numbers here just gives the wrong information.

Congrats on your century by the way!

FIFY. As with the alpahbetizing, not sure why the royal we can’t resist the impulse to “improve” the list. Best way to improve the list is to get more names on it. Congrats to Erich on that aspect of improvement.

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike (record holder 6hrs44min)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall