Whiteface Uphill 2007 Race Writeup

Great write-up, and congrats on meeting your goals! I agree with you that none of the stock Cokers are ideal for pure hill climbs like this; the higher effective gear combined with the significant extra weight make them sub-optimal. Glenn Drummond made up a carbon fiber Coker with a drilled rim and tubeless conversion for his record-setting Mount Diablo hill climb; that rig might work, but I’ll stick with my 29er setup, thanks.

Terrific write-up and achievement.
You are all legends.

Awesome Job! And thank you for a well written write up!

Makes me want to join you… or at least find a hill to climb…

Keld

Thanks, Vince.

Vince - you live as close as I do to this race. There’s an autumn ride on Sept 16. Want to ride it? I think there will be several unis. Get Owen and some other folks and come and do it!

Nice write-up Steve. Congratulations to you for your new PB, and to all the riders who dared make the attempt. It’s big-a$& mountain to try to climb.

It looks like all your extra training and climbing paid off, and I’m going to take that to heart. I got my butt (well, mostly my lungs) kicked a few weeks ago riding around Lake Tahoe, and it was the climbs that did it because I did not train hard enough. Time for a session at the blackboard, under Miss Ayelery’s close supervision.

I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today.

:astonished: :smiley: :sunglasses: :slight_smile:
Congrat’s to all!!!

Sounds like it’s time for a SARS muni ride. :smiley:

A couple more cool pics were sent to me by Dawn, Mark’s (2nd place uni) gf.
1st one is a group photo with Whiteface in the background.
Max Steve Mark Dawn Bill Eric

Whiteface2007_group.jpg

And this is the 2nd pic. As my write-up mentioned, the last two switchbacks are directly under the finish parking lot. Dawn caught a zoomed snapshot of me halfway between the first and second switchback, about 700 or 800 ft vertically below her. Look for the yellow jersey and one wheel (obviously).

Whiteface2007_9.jpg

Awesome job guys! Karl and I were actually in Lake Placid bouldering last weekend but we completely forgot about this event until we saw the cover of the newspaper as we were walking around.

We also randomly met a couple of cyclists at a corner store that night. Karl and I were both wearing Bedford Unicycles shirts so they started talking to us, asking us if we were ‘the unicyclists’. After explaining that we rode, but weren’t in the race, I asked them how it went, as they looked pretty much dead. One of the guys was pretty funny. To paraphrase… “It was horrible, one of the unicyclists passed me! Then I passed him as he was throwing up at the side of the road, then he passed me again!” Too funny!

J

Haha! That must have been Eric.

Yeah, bike or uni, it’s a hard climb.

Which paper?

Link?

One of the many reasons I am so proud to be part of this community…

Well done Eric!

http://www.lakeplacidnews.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=3547

Not much you didn’t mention in your article, but still interesting.

Any post-race news write up? I couldn’t find any.

You guys are Awesome!

Hello Steve, Thanks for the great write up. I was keeping an eye out anticipating the report. I don’t know how I missed it until today, but it is more than worth waiting for.

Congratulations on breaking the prior records.

I linked to both in my write-up, but here’s a link to a brief post-race report.

Thanks Ken. When are you going to start riding these pain-fests?

I’m still fighting with the bunny hills. Maybe when I turn 45 again. :slight_smile:

Awesome!

Thanks, but yours was better :sunglasses: