Whiteface Uphill 2007 Race Writeup

Big Apple tire? Skinny, hard tire? I guess it has to be pretty big to be 29" on a 700c rim so that pretty much covers it…

Bummer about Max not being able to make it. But you can’t always control how your body will feel on race day. Sometimes the body can get get out of sorts. I’ve had days like that before.

From looking at the profile and general data I’d say that climb is Cokerable in race conditions. I’ve done sustained climbs (more than a mile) that were in the 8-9% range on the Coker. That’s a very manageable grade for a Coker. The question for a race being is the extra weight of the Coker worth the bigger wheel size. But for just climbing that route a Coker would be very doable.

Congratulations on your win. What a thrill. Great write-up and great ride.

Awesome write-up, well done to all the riders and especially Steve!

Congrats!

Way to go Steve! You are an inspiration! I share your happiness and wish that I could have joined you guys!

Unicorn

Wow!

Steve, I got tired just reading that narrative! What a terrific accomplishment. I can’t conceive of riding a uni up a 10% grade and to do the whole stretch without a dismount is really impressive. I’m not even sure I could make it to the top on my road bike (even with Gu).

That was a well written wrap up that really conveyed what the experience must have been like. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks, guys.

My ride, which I most certainly should have put in my writeup: KH29, BA2.0 tire (pumped up to 50psi), 165 cranks, KH Freeride Seat.

I think it would be Cokerable, but the race-route has absolutely nothing less than 6% grade (avg 8%) for 8 straight miles. I think it’s the wrong tool for the job. It would a slow agonizing stair-stepper, like my first year’s experience when I had too little strength and technique and 150s instead of 165s. I might try 150s one day, but that first year I couldn’t spin them and had to mash one step at a time. I was in he||.

awesome Steve, I thought for sure you’d be second this time :wink:

Here’s a couple nice summit pics by a fellow racer: (Patrick Campbell)

Nice write-up Steve. It was really fun to join you on the climb, although I suffered more than I expected!

A few hours before the race, Max and I drove the lowest three miles of the course, and both of us thought it didn’t look that bad. It was certainly less steep than the 4.5 mile climb at Bolton ski area in Vermont where I’d done a few training rides. I decided to ride on my 28 instead of the 26 like I’d planned. It turned out to be a mistake. I didn’t need to dismount until mile 4, but from there on I needed to stop every quarter mile or so to breathe and get my heart rate down. While I was riding I was keeping pace with the bikers on the course (not the fastest bikers at this point) but the stops cost me a lot of time.

My lesson - stay with the race day plan! This time I rode on a 28 with 175 cranks, but next year I won’t underestimate this climb; I’ll be on my 26 with 170’s, hopefully spinning the whole way.

At the top I was greeted enthusiastically by fellow wheelers Mark & Eric, followed by Steve, who tells me I’m an animal! Steve, you are one MAJOR animal, and a great promoter of our sport!

Bill

Bah, doesn’t look that steep

:stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, it’s easy :roll_eyes: . In fact, next year you should ride this on your 36UW! I’d buy the beer if you did that!

great write up and time. reading about it makes me want to get out there next year.

Great write-up, it made me want to climb! It sure takes good mental toughness for a race like that.
Congrats to all of you!
And much respect to you Steve!!!

Beer is a buck a bottle here…

Actually, Billythemountain will probably have the uw36 at that point :wink:

Great write-up, and congrats on meeting your goals! I agree with you that none of the stock Cokers are ideal for pure hill climbs like this; the higher effective gear combined with the significant extra weight make them sub-optimal. Glenn Drummond made up a carbon fiber Coker with a drilled rim and tubeless conversion for his record-setting Mount Diablo hill climb; that rig might work, but I’ll stick with my 29er setup, thanks.

Terrific write-up and achievement.
You are all legends.

Awesome Job! And thank you for a well written write up!

Makes me want to join you… or at least find a hill to climb…

Keld

Thanks, Vince.

Vince - you live as close as I do to this race. There’s an autumn ride on Sept 16. Want to ride it? I think there will be several unis. Get Owen and some other folks and come and do it!

Nice write-up Steve. Congratulations to you for your new PB, and to all the riders who dared make the attempt. It’s big-a$& mountain to try to climb.

It looks like all your extra training and climbing paid off, and I’m going to take that to heart. I got my butt (well, mostly my lungs) kicked a few weeks ago riding around Lake Tahoe, and it was the climbs that did it because I did not train hard enough. Time for a session at the blackboard, under Miss Ayelery’s close supervision.

I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today. I will climb more hills starting today.