Whiteface Mtn Uphill Bike Race 2011 (Upstate NY June 18)

I’m out…the boss says grownup responsibilities that weekend, i.e. boring crap. Oh to be young and carefree again…

Is this only once a year? Any other Whiteface uphill events this summer?

I was thinking of the White Mountains in NH. It sounds like a good place for a nice uphill ride.

I am afraid NY is still a bit far from California.

I wish you the best on your ride. Unfortunately, I will not be there.

Scott

Sounds like good weapon of choice might be a 36er with 125-150mm cranks.

There are several similar events around the NE US. Check this page, and let me know if there are any you’re doing, because I could be tempted for more.

Rolandisimo did this race once on a 36er. I’ve always used a 29er with various cranks. Probably 137s this year.

Very cool.

I found detailed course profiles at:

http://www.northeastcycling.com/Hillclimb_Races.html

Anyone have uni experience at any of these other races?

I’ve done Whiteface and Equinox, (I was the first uni in those two races), and others have done them, as well. Mount Washington (the stiffest NE hillclimb) has also been uni’ed a few times.

The records are here. I’m hoping other hillclimb records will be filled in in that thread, as well.

I’m seriously considering the Mt. Greylock race in September.

Equinox might work for me. 12% grade?!

Mt. Greylock might work too.

Yeah, Equinox is brutal. If you signed up, I might, too.

Equinox seems a bit over the top for a first hill climb. I’m going to shoot for Greylock.

Any hill climbing training tips?

Don’t go to big in the wheel, or too short with the cranks.

Oh, and climb lots of hills!

Greylock sounds interesting. I may enter with my two boys. We are all in training - lots of hills were I live. Greylock is not too far away (perhaps 1.5 - 2 hours drive).

Cliff: We rode together once in Lynn Woods on D-Day. It would be good to meet up again. What do you think about Wachusett, too? It is much closer for you and not too bad for me.

My mistake on Wachusetts. The course was shown on one of Steveyo’s links, but no climb is scheduled for this year.

Steveyo: Depending on which link I consult, Greylock is listed as either Sept 10 or 11. Do you know which is correct? It would be a hoot to have a gang of uni riders there. I have been doing a fair bit of hill work and I would love to have a goal (like Greylock) to train for.

According to the DCR site the auto road up the mountain is expected to be closed until summer 2011. I wonder how that project is coming along.

Hill climbing. Hmmm. I’ve got a road by my house, by my gross calculations its about a 5 percent climb average for a mile. Seems wicked steep to me! I may have to try it just for kicks!

The Sept 11 date was 2010. This year’s race is Sept. 10, 2011. With the interest shown by all you Mass guys, I’ll about ready to plunk my money down for this one.

Steveyo: your comment about plunking money down got me thinking: Is there a reason to sign up now? For instance, are there a limited number of rider slots which would cause registration to close early? I am very committed to doing Greylock. I don’t want to lose my chance because I was asleep at the switch.

Also, how does one calculate average % of grade? The hill I live on climbs about 380 feet (I think) over 2 miles of winding road. I think this should be a good training run - but I don’t know how to calc the grade.

Edit: it climbs 400 ft over 1.5 miles

Grade is rise / run. Google says it’s 5%.

I plunk the money just as a commitment for myself - that way I can’t bail out. I don’t know if Greylock sells out.

I recalculated using DavidP’s Google method, and the average grade is 8.7% There is some flattening out in the middle, so the lower and upper uphill sections are steeper. The upper section calculates to a 10.9%. A great practice hill in my backyard (about a 10 minute drive)!