Which way to mount front tire?

I will be receiving my new wider frame uni from Bedford Unicycles tomorrow :slight_smile: As I already have too many old tires, I’ll just be switching my front 2.6 tire between my bike and uni (for now). It is a front specific tire. I’m wondering if there is any difference in the direction I mount it?

(mostly trails+urban, some light trials)

Is it a gazz? if it is, there is an arrow that tells which way to mount it. if not, mount it the way you did on your bike.
-David Kaplan

it’s not a gazz, when I get around to it, I’m sure that’ll be the next one. Thanks

I like to have more traction when climbing so I would put the tire on like it was a rear tire. With a front specific tire that usually means putting the tire on backwards. But some front specific tire designs are funky and may not work that well turning in the wrong direction. Try it both ways and see what works best for that tire.

If you put it on the wrong way, just ride the unicycle backwards.

Re: Which way to mount front tire?

Like John, I run mine backwards (at least I used to - didn’t check on the
new one!)

—Nathan

“UniDak” <UniDak.1uata@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:UniDak.1uata@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Is it a gazz? if it is, there is an arrow that tells which way to mount
> it. if not, mount it the way you did on your bike.
> -David Kaplan

Hi, the 24x2.6 Gazzaloddi that came stock on my Sem XLW was mounted backwards, but I didn’t worry about it. I just put on a 24x3 inch Gazz tonight, and I mounted it frontwards, or as the arrow points. I had to bash in the frame a little to get it to fit. I have a couple before and after pics of it at my webshots album. Joe in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/album/33704384BIeKUf

gazz 021.jpg

If the knobs on your tire are configured in a v, then the point > is forwards and< is backwards. This would be if you were sitting on the uni looking down at the top of the tire.

Re: Which way to mount front tire?

Mojoe,

By coincidence, I just had a conversation today about what it would take to
get a 3" Gazz into a Sem XLW frame.

What tool did you use to do the bashing? Doesn’t seem like here’s room to
swing a hammer in there.

I’d be worried about weakening the frame.

–Mark

Mojoe wrote:

> Hi, the 24x2.6 Gazzaloddi that came stock on my Sem XLW was mounted
> backwards, but I didn’t worry about it. I just put on a 24x3 inch Gazz
> tonight, and I mounted it frontwards, or as the arrow points. I had to
> bash in the frame a little to get it to fit. I have a couple before and
> after pics of it at my webshots album. Joe in Iowa
>

Mark Newbold
Montpelier, Vermont USA

Alternate email: manx@sover.net

Yes mojo, please do share, I am intrigued.
-David Kaplan

Ok, I’ll try and explain how I bashed in the frame of the Sem XLW. I forgot to take a picture of it while I was doing it. Put the 3 inch Gazz in the frame and marked where it was touching the frame. Take wheel off. Place frame in bench vise with piece of wood between outside of frame and vise to protect the finish. Front of frame should be facing up or down and the other fork leg should be outside of the vise, out of the way for now. Place head of hammer between inside of the leg in the vise and the other jaw of the vise. Now simply tighten vise to press hammer into inside of fork leg untill you have enough clearance. I pressed the hammer in a couple times per side to get a long enough dent, but you may not need to. Now repeat for other fork leg. It did bend the fork ends together a little, so I had to spread them back out by stepping on one side and pulling the other up untill it was adjusted to the width of the hub again. I hope you can make sense of my rambling. Joe in Iowa