Which is best?

Okay so here’s the deal. I ride left foot in front, put my right hand on the handle and I hop to the left. I just learned how to ride along, jump a 180 and ride backwards. The only problem is I don’t know if I should spin to the left or spin to the right. Any suggestions? Which direction is beat and why? Thanks!

Mike

I’m the exact opposite to you with everything. Right foot forward, left hand, hop right. I think it’s best to spin to the open side, which in my case would be to the right as you can get more spin in the hips. I used to spin the other direction however found that I was doing ok until I tried the other way and did much better.

bumpity bump… help is appreciated so please do

Mike

Go out, and do a spin without thinking about it. The way that seems more natural is the way to go. It also might be a good idea to practice both left and right. I personally don’t think there is a ‘best’ way. :slight_smile:

to be contrary

I think it’s a bit easier to spin to the opposite side of your front foot. I noticed this more on bikes. My explanation for this is that the rear foot is in a better position to apply force to the rear of the bike. This is less of an issue on a unicycle and I don’t have much of a preference here. Still, I suppose it’s a bit better to have your legs turning into the wheel, reducing the chance of slippage and increasing maximum potential torque.

If you can do a 180 than you should already be familiar with your preference. It’s valuable to be able to do both directions so don’t worry about if one way is “better” yet.

Even for those doing 540’s it doesn’t seem conclusive.

to be contrary

I think it’s a bit easier to spin to the opposite side of your front foot. I noticed this more on bikes. My explanation for this is that the rear foot is in a better position to apply force to the rear of the bike. This is less of an issue on a unicycle and I don’t have much of a preference here. Still, I suppose it’s a bit better to have your legs turning into the wheel, reducing the chance of slippage and increasing maximum potential torque.

If you can do a 180 than you should already be familiar with your preference. It’s valuable to be able to do both directions so don’t worry about if one way is “better” yet.

Even for those doing 540’s it doesn’t seem conclusive.

I’m going to go with whatever’s more comfy with the hand position. Since your feet don’t follow through with your spin but your hand does. I ride right foot in front, right hand on handle and I jump left and I spin clockwise because it doesn’t involve that much twisting on the arm.