Which grip hand and dominant foot are you?

I want to participate!
I have my right foot forward and hold on with my right hand. I hop to the left. I used to hop to the right but i was told that was wrong so i hop to the left.

Well Terry “UniGeezer” showed me it’s easier to hop towards your free hand, which makes sense, since you have more balance control on that side, that’s why I want to try to use both hands, and be able to hop with either foot forward and any direction

Yeah, once I got used to hopping toward the left, I really liked it.

left hand grab right foot forward

Well so far it seems that the standard is to have the opposite foot forward of whatever hand you like to grip with. So I’d say “goofy” may be people who hop with the same foot forward as their grip hand.

It would be intresting to see this as a poll…

For me Right Hand on handle, Right Foot for mounts/idling & Rght Foot forward when hopping (& Right Foot feels dominant) Hop both ways (badly!) but to the Left feels better (Left Hand free)

Ride regular & dress on the left!:slight_smile:

No, it wouldn’t.

About a half-dozen polls have been made on this exact subject, and there’s never been enough data gathered to draw any statistically relevant conclusion.

Why does it matter what someone else’s dominant hand and foot is? Everyone is built differently. How is the poll entry of a left-hander going to be relevant to a right-handed person?

Just find out what works for YOU and use it. Consistent practice will yield best results, not silly web polls.

Oh maestro, you and your fondness of internet silliness.

no, there’s no goofy foot. “goofy foot” makes it sound like “goofy footed” riders are at a disadvantage

good riders with same foot forward as grip hand:
mike padial
mike taylor
joe hodges
fabian mark (mark fabian?)
aliex lidon baulida
forest rackard

good riders with same foot backward as grip hand:
max schulze
tom pec
joe campbell
tim desmet
reketye laci?(or marci?)
aidan teleki

i’m sure theres more for both sides, but they all have 110+cm hops. it probably ends up 50/50 if all good riders were accounted for.

which foot is forward or back doesn’t matter(what i mean is a rider that has his/her same foot forward as saddle holding hand[or vice versa] won’t be at an advantage or disadvantage). it’s all about what’s comfortable as far as foot position. one will feel natural to you, the other will feel weird and make it harder to hop.

the only thing that matters is that you hop to the opposite direction of the hand that’s holding the saddle. hopping toward the hand holding the saddle will be detrimental, and pretty much a waste of time.

I’m not sure what other sports your referencing, but being goofy footed has never been seen as being a disadvantage. If you’re talking about the word “goofy” itself, then I’m sorry, but I didn’t make it up, it’s been part of board sports for a long time.

I only posted this out of curiosity, and to ask if people like to switch up their “stance”. This was not meant to alienate people for their style, it’s just for fun.

People take things way too seriously sometimes…

It doesn’t matter, it’s just for fun.

“Goofy” has always been defined as a stance that is less common, it has absolutely nothing to do with a riders abilities.

bahaahahah i definitely don’t take this forum seriously. i never boarded and never will, never interested me. but knowing nothing about it, i always just assumed goofy riders were doing it wrong or something, and therefore at a disadvantage.

now that i know what goofy means, i still say there’s no goofy foot for unicycling :stuck_out_tongue:

it’s prob 50/50

I’m right handed generally. I mount and idle (well attempt… only half way through learning!) with my left foot. I hop with my right foot in front and hold on with my right hand.

There are definitely different advantages of hopping with the foot in front which is the same as your hand holding the seat, or with the opposite. I have also noticed a certain style they can have.

I ride with my left foot forward, but spin clockwise with my right hand. This makes most spins/fliptricks a bit harder than if i’d be spinning the other way, but I think it’s easier for me to do tricks starting seat in such as varial flips.

Okay… maybe I can make some sense of this subject. The references “goofy foot” (right foot forward) and “regular foot” (left foot forward) came originally from surfing (and skateboarding) and is transposed onto every sport where one foot leads the other (kiteboarding, snowboarding, windsurfing, etc).

The following is from a tutorial I wrote recently for beginning unicyclists:

“First, let’s find out which leg is dominant (without the unicycle). Have a friend stand behind you to do this test. First, stand with your feet together facing forward. Tell your friend to give you a firm push (not so hard as to knock you over). Which leg do you automatically put out to catch yourself? Do this several times so that you’re sure which leg is dominant (it’s always pretty clear which one it is, most people it’s the left leg). You can use this information in several ways, but for Unicycling, this leg is the one you want to “pedal away” with… the forward pedal or the first power stroke. FYI… for surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, and any other sport where you have to put one foot forward of the other, this is your forward foot also.”

Without exception, when I am teaching somebody how to surf, this holds true. With cycling also, especially somebody who comes from the bmx or mountain bike world (where they are getting air), the dominant foot tends to lead.

But just because I’ve proven it true to myself and those I’ve taught in different sports (a small number) doesn’t mean that it’s true for a larger audience.

So, can I recast the question? How many of you, when you do the above test, are able to prove the theory? If you tend to land tricks, hop, (and coast on a bike) with your left foot forward, do you also catch yourself on the above test with your left leg? And is this the same leg that you catch the second pedal with and do first stroke with while mounting?

And no, I’m not just trying to get your buddies to push you around… lol.

-David

[QUOTE=DancesOnH2O;1429562]
Okay… maybe I can make some sense of this subject. The references “goofy foot” (right foot forward) and “regular foot” (left foot forward) came originally from surfing (and skateboarding) and is transposed onto every sport where one foot leads the other (kiteboarding, snowboarding, windsurfing, etc).

True enough, but goofy footed in bmx, which works better with uni, is determined by the direction you turn with a given foot forward. If you favour turning into your forward foot you are “goofy footed”

I snowboard skate wakeboard regular (left foot forward) I prefer to hop with my left foot forward, and I mount so that my left foot is forward when I start moving.

I was thinking of regular vs goofy in terms of using the same hand and foot forward vs using the opposite hand as foot forward. Which I think is the wrong way to categorize it. Although from what little information was gathered here, it did seem that less people hopped with the same foot forward as grip hand.

I can definately see how this makes certain things easier/harder, for instance with a unispin, I stand left foot forward, grip with my right, and then flip clockwise, and if I start to over-rotate the spin, there is nothing to stop the uni, if I were to spin counter-clockwise with my left foot forward, if I over-rotate, then my front foot will stop the uni’s rotation helping to land it.

And they way I always tell people to test their stance for boarding, is to run and slide on the floor. I’ve found that if you do the push thing, people think about it too much, and sometimes pick the wrong foot, but everyone has a foot they know they can slide across a floor on.

I prefer doing opposite foot forward than grip hand, because I feel like it squares me off better, if that makes sense. If I grip with my left hand and left foot forward, my left side feels scrunched-up. But my goal is to learn both sides, so that I can interchange without thinking about it, and without restricting myself.

I mount with my right foot. Hop to the right with my left foot forward using my left hand on the handle. When I learned to grind and pedal grab a had a couple folks tell me I should relearn it with my front foot, I stuck with using my back foot and lo-and-behold I eventually got it.

It seems that “chocolate foot” was defined here some time back. If only I could figure out how to use the search feature.