Which Cycle?

hi there! I’d like to start unicycling, but I’m uncertain where to begin when it comes to actually buying my first unicycle.
I intend to use it for clowning (please don’t kick me off the forums for that one :astonished: ) so I don’t really need anything to fast, but it should probably be light and easy to maneuver, I would also like something that I could do a few tricks on maybe (if I ever picked up enough courage to try). could someone help point me to a good (and preferably somewhat inexpensive) beginner Uni? I rather like the looks of this one http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/beginner-series/adult-trainers-20-to-29-inch-wheels/schwinn-20-inch-1.html, but I should probably go for performance rather than appearance…

thanks in advance!

torker

the Torker LX seems to be the most popular for beginners. Has anyone had any experience with them? is it a good choice, or could I find something better?

Torker LX is considered to be a good choice for a beginner, even though I bent the hub on mine before I could actually ride it. It is most definitely not designed for any kind of tricks. You can always get a used Torker LX or CX off of Craigslist for around $40-50 to learn on and figure out what kind of riding you want to do eventually.

would it be worth it to pay a bit more and get a Nimbus? I’ve heard that there a really good uni. I sort of have my eye on this one http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/bymanufacturer/nimbus/nimbus-ii-20-inch-unicycle-with-isis-hub-red.html is it any good? and would it be worth it to pay little extra for the Kris Holm Freeride seat as well?

That’s an excellent rig for a first uni, very durable for real riding! You’ll have it for years, and if you give up (don’t do that) you’ll find it has a resale value that a lot of cheap starter uni’s don’t. good price for quality durable stuff!

the freeride seat has a void to relieve pressure on the paranium, and has generous padding that does not tend to chafe. That’s a good seat.

If you can afford the Nimbus go for it. You will enjoy it more and it will last a long time.

Welcome!