Where to ride?

euh I think the best place to do street its were its illegal…
[/QUOTE]

well said

I get comments when I commute on my Coker. But mostly I’m passing by pretty fast, so there’s no need to respond. For the silly comments, I think of myself as “a guy on a bike,” no need to speak to people I don’t want to speak to.

I get lots of positive comments and nods from cyclists coming the other way on the bike path, that’s always nice. In my neighborhood, yesterday I got the classic “You’re missing a wheel.” to which I replied “I don’t miss it at all.”

Also yesterday a guy pulled up beside me at the light where I was waiting, and said “Where do you get one of those?” That’s the kind of comment I like. I said “Unicycle.com” as the easiest answer for that sort of question. Then before the light turned green, he told me he used to ride all over when he was a kid, and he had an 8-footer.

So where to ride? In my early days it was the driveway and garage. Then when I started learning tricks I found myself a big paved area with a wall along the side (behind the local movie theater). That was a great place to learn to ride backwards, wheel walk, etc. Even better is a chainlink-type fence with pavement next to it, as you can grip it better.

But ride wherever makes you happy. If you don’t like the comments, move on. My movie theater location was usually very empty at the times I practiced there, and if crowds were coming in and out I’d move away until they died down. Security was my friend there, as they did not see me as potentially doing harm to customers. Instead, I reported on suspicious activity in the parking lot. I believe I stopped a couple of cars from being stolen from the Livonia Mall.

Thanks everyone for those comments.

Hi Steve.

I have decided to learn to live with the comments and ride on the pavements at the moment.
The prom is a great place to ride but absolutely no good in anything like a wind.
I guess really the comments aren’t so bad.
we’ve got a lovely cycle track by us - up an old railway track. But only for use during the day. I went thier last night and a bunch of kids aged between 8 & 13 threw stones at me!
Thanks though, you’ve helped to give me the motivation to brave the neighbours and ride the pavements.
Cathy

were i ride

I ride at my school, i go up curbs down stairs and turns and stuff. i do wut i can just to stay good enough to ride one. I just laugh and say “my ride is better than your’s”.