Where to put a smartphone

I’ve been using this, which is great if you have a touring handle to mount it on. I’ve had numerous UPDs (36er) without it ever popping out: https://smile.amazon.com/Metal-Bike-Motorcycle-Phone-Mount/dp/B079Z1CH9B?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Well, since writing this, I have managed to completely destroy a phone by falling onto it while it was in a sidepocket of my pants… I now put it into my backpack if I see a bigger risk of me falling badly.

I’ve always found a backpack to be sufficient to protect most things when riding offroad, especially if it’s got some item of clothing in it.

About 8 years ago I had a high speed fall from a Schlumpf 29er and somehow despite tearing a good few holes in my backpack it managed to protect most of me, and no harm occurred to either my Kindle or my phone which were both near the front of the bag.

On my 36er these days I have a small triangle bag under the bars and attached to the seatpost. This fits my phone, keys and wallet and is well out of the way should I have a UPD.

I don’t know the name in English: here we call what I wear a “banana pouch” it is strapped to my waist and in front of my belly. I never crashed on that very spot though I have scars to prove that a side pocket is a bad idea!

I have some MTB trousers that have deep reversed pockets which put my phone about half way down my thigh, and almost round the back.

Alternatively, if I’m wearing a cycle jacket, the breast zip pocket.

As Mr Miyagi nearly said, “Best protection, no fall off.”

wouldn’t it be possible to have a drone carrying the stuff?

For about 10 minutes until you had to change the batteries

thank you for destroying my dreams!!!

I just imagined a peaceful future with many long distance unicycle trails connecting the most interesting places of this world.
Beautiful people would travel by unicycle and drones would carry their tents, sleeping bags, food, clothing, etc…

I can’t think of anything less peaceful than a swarm of drones flying around carrying everyone’s gear!

The real solution is to have b*cyclists carry your gear :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I carry mine in my zipped back jersey pocket.

I foolishly carried my galaxy with me. One fall sideways (blast you SPD’s!) And we have a cracked screen. Great.

If I were you, do as I did (after learning the hard way) and get yourself a cheap Android 'stunt phone from eBay to take with you on rides.

1 Like

I already replied to this thread, but I often also ride with a small waist-bag. My back always gets sweaty with a backpack, but when just riding to my kid’s school to pick her up of when going a short trip in the park, the waist-bag is good enough for a wallet, keys and my cell phone and nowadays a mouth mask ^_^.
Also when hopping, which I’ve been focusing on lately, the waist bag doesn’t jump around all the time like a backpack does.

1 Like

Ouch. That’s not nice.

I also have an expensive Galaxy phone and usually carry it in a light waist bag. But I’m just a beginner and so far I had only a single faceplant moment where I landed on my wrists and knees, so I can’t really judge whether it’s safe place for a phone.

I rode with my phone mounted.on my t bar for about a year until until i it went sliding across a parking lot during a UPD. I also had to extend my t bar out past my comfort zone to accommodate it. I have switched to a small GPS speedometer to manage my data needs and either cary my phone in my pocket.or back pack. I would say the pack being the safest, admittedly I don’t always ride with a pack. The other thing would be to leave it in the car, a phone really is not a needed component of of uniycling.

I always find things I want to take pictures of. That and knowing the time is the main reason I bring my phone. I never wear watches.

I want to have it on me just in case I wipe out badly and need to call for help. It hasn’t happened yet, but I hit the ground like a ton of bricks two weeks ago, landing right on my back and that could have been bad.

1 Like

As a beginner, I had a few hard falls on my back. With both hands out for balance, the unicycle could shoot quickly out the front while my feet got stuck on the pedals, sending me onto my back. There was a transitional period when I could ride with one hand on the seat handle, but in an emergency I would throw that hand up in the air for balance. Bad. Once I learned to keep hold of the saddle / handlebars when things got sketchy, the backward falls became less dangerous. Holding onto the saddle slowed down the upd, so if I did land on my back, it would happen in slow motion, because I was pulling the weight of the unicycle back with me during the upd.

A combination of aggressive pedals and shifting weight from the seat to the pedals…during a upd…can result in feet caught on the pedals as the unicycle is pushed in front of the you…also resulting in a bad fall onto the back.

Sorry, @Duff, this may have nothing to do with how you fell, but I’m bringing it up because I was intimidated by backward falls as a beginner, and I assume other beginners feel the same way.

I only bring my phone when I am taking a long enough ride to need water. I put in in a plastic box a bit larger than the phone, then in my CamelBak.

I was going down a pretty tough downhill, (for me), and I was beginning to lose it and removed my hand from the saddle to either flail or upd, I’m not really sure which as it all took less than a second. I remember seeing my foot come off the pedal with my weight balanced on the saddle and then it shot out from under me.

I kind of suspect I was trying to run it out and had my weight too far back to do it.

Edit: thinking back on it, I wonder if what happened is that I was starting to fall forward, but once I removed my hand to bail and run it out, the brake being suddenly released caused it to go out from under me in a forwards direction.

Is the correct answer… at least that’s where I keep my phone whilst riding.