Where to get leg protection?

Where do you get a good leg protectors for unicycling?

I prefer using football-shinguard, those with integrated protection for my ancles…

I don’t like my 4x4, they hurt my knees with all the “protective” padding, and i don’t think i have ever had any real use of it, the knee-section that is…
But i have hut my ancles a couple of times, and it hurt a lot!

And this is not as hot, better looking and probably chaaper!

Buy… well, any sports-dealer.

Many people use 661 leg armour, available from Unicycle.com and cycling stores:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=404

Hm, I’ve never heard of that being used. Can anyone else attest to the usefulness of footbal shin guards?

Re: Where to get leg protection?

I got some of those at discount from the local sports short - cost me about
3 UK pounds, IIRC.

Side note: for some work (particularly UW / BC) it’s handy to position the
pads on the inside of your leg, instead of at the front as usual. If this
is appropriate for you, do make sure that you can still swivel them round
to face inwards and that the foot strap / ankle padding isn’t in the way.

lleberg wrote:

>
> I prefer using football-shinguard, those with integrated protection for
> my ancles…
> [image: http://pix.summitsportsinc.com/47122.jpg]
> I don’t like my 4x4, they hurt my knees with all the “protective”
> padding, and i don’t think i have ever had any real use of it, the
> knee-section that is…
> But i have hut my ancles a couple of times, and it hurt a lot!
>
> And this is not as hot, better looking and probably chaaper!
>
> Buy… well, any sports-dealer.
>
>

That’s what they’re made for (protecting shins), and they work great! My girlfriend used them along with knee guards when she was first getting into MUni.

Obligatory search link: soccer shin guards

Several posts in there seem to agree with my girlfriend’s experience.

The 661 4x4 leg armor is a good choice for a variety of muni. Lots of local bike shops carry the 661 gear, lots on online bike shops carry it also. A Froogle search will find some online sources. Unicycle.com also carries it.

The 661 4x4 leg armor is nice, but not perfect. It does have some faults. But overall it’s the best option for many people. Knee protection is key for a lot of people. I absolutely need knee protection for muni. I’d be in bad shape (or at least my knees would be) if I didn’t wear some sort of knee pad while riding.

IMHO every muni rider should have a pair of 661 4x4 leg armor in their stash of stuff. You can try and use other armor or protection as you see fit depending on your needs. Even if you only wear the 661 style armor for a fraction of your rides it is good to have.

does anyone still use stuff made by ROACH?

I have a set of roach leg armour, and it’s pretty top notch. I love it. All their stuff is bomber, highly reccomended.

ditto. I wear the 4x4s, full finger gloves, and a helmet on every ride. Elbow and forearm protection is good to have too. I stop by Steep & Cheap everyday to see what they are selling. They have great prices, and a unique sales approach. It’s mostly stuff for skiing and snowboarding but they occassionally have stuff that is more multisport. Sixsixone.com has them for sale for $40, I think that is a pretty standard price.

I too use Roach leg armour. I bought it in July 2002 and have used it loads for muni and when it gets too disgustingly smelly and/or muddy it gets thrown in the washing machine. It is just starting to fray a bit near the knee roll where it often hits the tyre. Excellent product.
Chris

I still have some old style Roach leg armour (note the Canadian spelling)
When they changed to the thermo molded foam with air channels and the mesh back I never tried their new design. The thermo molded foam is more dense and not as pliable as the old style foam and some people who had them said they would chafe more than the old style Roach armour. I just switched to 661 at that point. I have never actually tried the new Roach armour myself.

The Roach armour is generally more heavy-duty than the 661 armour. Roach uses thicker and more heavy-duty fabric than 661 and I like the Roach strapping system better than the 661 system.

I have a set of the new (edit: size XL) Roach Indy (aka Raceface) leg pads. For me, they work so much better that I don’t wear my old 661s for MUni. The Roach pads are more rugged, and when I bought them, 661s didn’t come in XL size. The XL works great for me because it goes several inches above my knee and right down to my shoe. When I fall, they don’t slide down and expose my knee. I’ve literally slid 30 feet down steep and jagged rock faces on my knees and walked away unscathed, and the outer fabric didn’t even rip. The plastic molding offers great protection, and they’re not any hotter than the 661 leg guards.

Chafing only happens if I tighten the top knee strap too much. Also, the mesh backing doesn’t offer much protection. I use Core Rat inserts (basically just a canvas leg wrap) to protect the back of my legs.

I’ve found a good selection of Fox body armor at my local bike shop as well as the local motocross / dirtbike shops. Their North Shore leg armor is abso-frickin-lutely bulletproof! I beat my legs pretty good this weekend (nbrazzi’s got some of it on film :slight_smile: ) and the armor saved me some from certain fracture.

Check the price at your LBS (local bike shop) then check the price online. I found I got the same deal at the shop as I could online (which adds shipping costs)! Support your LBS!

I’m still looking for good leg armor (knee/shin combo). My question regarding the previous 2 posts is:

The armor without hard shell looks more appropriate for uni in general, but isn’t it better to have the hard shell to slide on in a bad fall?

and

How the heck do you really know if something’s going to fit or feel right from buying over the internet?

I really think I want to buy Race Face Rally DH but I have no idea if they’d be overkill for me, a casual rider of a 29er.

that would be way overkill for 29er riding
unless you’re doing offroad, most pads would be overkill for 29
you could just go for some cheap skateboarding kneepads for the occasional fall

i really want some raceface rally DH for biking, but it’s expensive and i’d only use it for hard core downhill riding

The hard shell doesn’t help with the sliding so much as it helps in spreading out the force of an impact… if you get a nasty pedal hit to the shin, you’ll most likely get a bad bruise through shell-less pads, whereas a pad with a shell will leave you in better shape.

Go to a local (or out-of-town if necessary) shop and try them on first. Go for a jog around the shop and make sure nothing binds or snags. Otherwise, it’s a complete shot in the dark; it could be a total waste of money.