📜 [Wiki] Where to buy Schlumpf Grease - Overview

For a Schlumpf rider, it is not always easy to source the right grease. Normally these greaes are only available in big containers. Often the minimum amout for the oroginal grease is 18kg. But I know, some forum users bought bigger containers of it and sell it. My idea is, to make this thread an overview of all offers.

Florian Schlumpf originally used SHELL ALVANIA GR 0974 wich has been discontinued by Shell. since then, SHELL GADUS S2 V220 00 is the right grease to use. A good alternative is ALPINE Fluid Grease DIN51502 GP00/000 K-30.

• Users from the US can buy their grease from @MuniOrBust. He still sells the original SHELL ALVANIA GR 0974: Muni Or Bust: Buy Unicycle Hub Grease
  • The alternative ALPINE Fließfett DIN51502 GP00/000 K-30 is available on eBay in Germany for around 7€ per 800g.
  • Lube Finder UK £11.88 400grams link

Who knows any other sources or sells herself?

Note: It’s a Wiki, you can edit the original post.

5 Likes

Great idea Eric!

I recent got a big tub of the stuff from a UK site:

Looks to be the correct version and only £12 ish shipped. I was pretty happy.

Got some small syringes and I think this 400g tub would fill up around 30-40 of the 5ml one if not more.

Hope this helps!

(Realised it was a Wiki - so have added the link but left this thread reply in tact)

1 Like

From what I could find, it needs to be a grease of NLGI 00 viscosity (which is almost the tinnest grade of grease). I’ve been using Castrol Sphreerol that I managed to order from my local car parts store. I have a huge amount of it, I refill local’s Schlumpf riders haha.

I went to a specialized bearing store and they didn’t even know what I was talking about (the car parts store didn’t know more either). I found it online and had it shipped to my local shop.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Holy topic resurrection!

I wondered if the Shimano Internal Gear Hub Grease could be used. It could be a convenient replacement.

Mmm I’d have to check its specifications.

I asked Florian if this grease was OK to use on the new hubs: Shell Gadus S2 V220 00 - 400g

Pretty sure it is very close to what has previously been provided. Got two of these tubs and it’ll last me until the year 3023!

The advice I got back to my query regarding this product was:

Indeed “00” refers to the viscosity, and we use “00” too. So this may be quite good, and you know the qualities already. The only thing that can occur, is, that it’s getting stiff at low temperature, with the risk of unproper shifting.

So it seems the key spec needed is the 00 viscosity.

Also the Dumonde Tech PRO X Freehub Grease, which is generally recommended as an alternative for the Shimano IGH users.

For NLGI 00 greases, I can find a local dealer who offers a 1kg sample of Mobilux EP004 for $8 or so.

1 Like

Looks like caramel, don’t you just want to pour some over vanilla ice cream? :yum:

3 Likes

It does look like (quite runny) caramel, but certainly doesn’t smell like it! However there maybe could be cautions on the tub to warn people with a bad sense of smell! (I recently bought some daffodils that had a label saying ‘Do not eat!’ - on flowers?!)

1 Like

If one of my old hubs ever completely dies I’ll take its shell apart, clean it - fill it with blackcurrant jelly, wait and then remove it carefully from mould and serve it up to The Schlumpf Gods with the caramel you’ve suggested :custard:

3 Likes