Where and what to buy??

I have only just joined this forum and as I said in my intro I am very new to unicycling!!

Anyway, I am currently just using a unicycle that I have borrowed off a friend of a friend. Just to test out whether it was something I would really like to pursue. Well I do want to carry it on (hence joining the forum) so I need to buy one of my own but I have no idea where to get one from or what to buy!!

I am working my way through the forum but any tips for a beginner and recommendations of websites you can give would be greatly appreciated! Sorry I am a complete novice :roll_eyes:

Try unicycle.com … They have a huge selection of major brands. Let us know where you’re located, and what size/brand unicycle you’re already riding. Welcome to the forum!

Hey Ramble! Welcome to the forum!

The short answer to your question is: buy everything you can afford!

But seriously, if it were me, I’d try to find a good, used 20" unicycle from craigslist for as cheap as you can and learn to ride it, beat it up, etc, and then figure out what you’d like to go into next, if anything. The only issue is that people sell some worthless crap on Craigslist, so if you find something that looks promising, you might post it here and ask for comments if you’re unsure. Most of the unicycles posted on Craigslist in my area today are really old and crappy and not worth what they’re asking, but I’ve seen some go for $15-$25 in good condition that would have cost $130 new. You just have to keep an eye out. The good stuff goes fast.

As elpuebloUNIdo mentioned, Unicycle.com is probably one of the best online retailers to buy a new one from. You can also get them incredibly cheap from eBay, but they may be of questionable quality, and I personally don’t feel comfortable with some of those. One of the biggest issues with the really cheap ones (like a new 20" for $60) is that the welds are bad, and many times the pedals are cheap and may break. Prices and shipping on the same items sold on both eBay and Unicycle.com are comparable, and the folks on Unicycle.com usually have good customer service, and you know who you’re dealing with, so I’d steer you in that direction. They’ve been very good to me and have promptly answered any questions I had. Something like the Club 20" Freestyle Unicycle is a safe bet if you’re just starting out.

Just like anything, you can spend as much as you want. If you have money to burn, you can always go for something more expensive, but I personally hate to spend a lot of money on a new hobby if I’m just feeling it out.

I think that a 20" is easiest to learn on, but some have started on larger ones. I probably wouldn’t go any larger than a 24" to start. Most recommend that you start on a 20" and learn your skills there and transfer them to a larger unicycle as needed. Even if you move on to something else later on, you’ll probably want to keep that 20" around so you can always go back and practice new skills on it and transfer it to larger wheels. There isn’t a “do everything” unicycle, so many riders accumulate all sorts of styles and sizes over time as they each serve their own purpose.

You may also wish to get protective gear. I personally only wear fingerless leather gloves, but it’s recommended that you wear wrist guards, a helmet, knee and elbow pads. A generic bicycle helmet and roller blade pads would be fine for that. Do whatever makes you feel safe. There’s tons of info as well on these forums about protective gear, and likely just about every question you’d want to ask has been mentioned somewhere.

There’s a lot of different advice out there for what to buy, but until you learn the basic skills necessary to ride a unicycle and want to do something else (off road, distance, trials, etc), I personally think it’s best to stick with a generic 20" freestyle/cruiser/starter/etc. I bought one cheap off craigslist, and even though I’ve bought others, I still ride it and enjoy it. In fact today I’ve been riding it indoors in my game room since it’s been raining so much.

As far as learning to ride, there’s tons of info in these forums about that, and you can post about your progress as well. Just have a look around, and you’ll probably find more info than you ever wanted. If you get stuck, ask for help, and just go at your own pace. Everyone is different, so don’t try to go beyond what you can do safely, and don’t try to compare yourself to others. The only real secret to learning to ride is persistent practice. If you keep trying, it will eventually click. It rarely happens quickly, so don’t be discouraged. It does take time, so be patient and celebrate your progress each step of the way.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hi Ramble…welcome to the very cool world of unicycling. Unicycle.com for sure. They are also great to call with questions. I know there’s a search function on this forum, but I can’t always find the answer I’m looking for, so it’s great to just throw questions out and get some real time feedback. Get ready for spending more than you think you’re going to spend, because if you are anything like others, you can’t stop with just one!

Have fun!

If I was to start all over, I would buy a Nimbus 24 Muni and put on a street tyre (http://www.unicycle.uk.com/24-nimbus-muni.html). A brake can be added later.

I bought a new learner for half that price, but after I learned to ride, I’ve had no use for it.

you can always keep your cheap starters to loan out to friends who want to learn. But, don’t break your foot… I haven’t been able to convince a single person that unicycling is relatively safe.

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice!! Its great to hear words of encouragement! I am riding a 20"inch at the moment so I think I will stay with that size for now. I will take a look at the websites suggested, particularly Unicycle.com I am reading their buying guide now :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying to convince my wife to learn, but she thinks she’s going to get hurt. I told her to wear pads and ride on a flat surface, and she would be fine. Naturally, I don’t take my own advice. I had a spectacular UPD on my muni yesterday while I was tryin’ some tricks on flat concrete and got some nice road rash on the outside of both knees as I rolled and skidded. (No worries, the unicycle is fine. :slight_smile: ) I texted her pictures of my knees to show my awesomeness, and she texted back, “and you want ME to learn how to ride?!!?!?!” I guess I should probably keep that stuff to myself next time. I was hoping to justify the purchase of some Kris Holm leg armor and get some sympathy, but it backfired on me. Doh’t!

Thank you for your detailed response :slight_smile: I really wanted to try something new and unusual so I am determined to pursue this but I am in no hurry to master it (not saying I ever will ha) Its good to hear your advice and I will definitely be taking things slowly and carefully!! Thanks for the tip on using a bicycle helmet and roller blade pads - I will be needing them :wink:

I think it’s a good idea to buy a second hand one like you say, until I improve and gain in confidence and its always good to have a spare anyway once I decide to invest in something a little more advanced. I know the person I have borrowed this unicycle off got theirs second hand too off a similar site called for-sale.com (I am based in Australia btw) but I will take a look at Craigslist though as that seems like a good option. Personally, I just want to have fun so it seems silly to buy anything too expensive to begin with!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Haha, oh wow, yeah maybe keep those things to yourself! :astonished: ;):smiley:

There are usually several second-hand unis on gumtree.com.au but most of them are not great quality. Some of the better ones are overpriced but I have bought some of mine there.

Welcome to the forum! I’m not going to repeat all the stuff everyone else already mentioned but just agree with them and unicycle.com as a good place to buy.
They also have a store in Australia
http://www.municycle.com.au/home_page.html

Awesome, thanks!

If you do not want to buy a new one, maybe check on e-bay. If you are a beginner you can start with the unicycle from ‘second hand’. Good luck!

Thanks, will check it out!