When will we be too old to unicycle?

When I am a frail, feeble old man with brittle bones, instead of using a cane or a walker, couldn’t I still ride a unicycle? Maybe a 20" – slowly, as an alternative to walking.

After a lifetime of riding, I should have stupendous balance by then. And while I am still young, I will learn how to fall properly, so that I will not break a hip if a UPD were too much for my feeble old legs to absorb.

I’m not saying to ride a Coker around the nursing home. But it seems that a 20" standard uni ridden slowly would be possible at any age. Does anyone agree or disagree? And does old age affect balance?

Maybe in 63 years I’ll have my 15 minutes of fame and be on TV – “Centenarian Gets Around on Unicycle Instead of Wheelchair” – story at eleven (which will be past my bedtime, of course).

uni57 (Dave)

Dave, sorry to tell you this

But tomorrow you’ll be too old to unicycle, better get in the little bit you have left tonight. Sorry for the bad news

Chex

Well, at least it’s not raining tonight. :frowning:

uni57 (Dave)

hmmm…

I don’t think there is a UNIversal (I crack myself up) ‘you are too old to do this’ age for unicycling. I’ve heard of 80-year-old body builders, so why not 80-year-old unicyclists? Perhaps even older… I’ve still got a few years left in me, being 13 years old and such. i think you’ll be too old when you think you’re too old, so don’t think you’re too old.

And remember, “Growing old is inevitable; growing up is optional.”

And here’s to many years of unicycling. Cheers. (I didn’t really have a glass or anything, but I can pretend. :wink: )

Re: When will we be too old to unicycle?

I’ve not had any problems with balance…

Re: Re: When will we be too old to unicycle?

Ha, ha. You’re the Coker guy, right? I’ve seen your picture – you are not old!!! :slight_smile:

I’m talking about a unicycle as an alternative to a wheelchair or a walker. You would be sitting, applying minimal effort to pedal or idle. Would that work? And be less tiring than walking? When you are, like, 90 years old?

As for me, I’m going to follow unisteve’s excellent words of wisdom.

uni57 (Dave)

I think that after a whole lifetime of unicycling experience we’ll be able to ride at quite an old age, but you do lose balance when you get really old. I really hope to be able to keep unicycling for a long, long time.

Well actually once you’re really old you’ll probably start growing down (shrinking):slight_smile: .

Andrew

I guess yoopers will have to start lowering his seat. :slight_smile:

I wonder if we lose our sense of balance when we get really old, or whether our muscles become too weak to make balance corrections effectively. Even if we lose some balance, we should still have lots left over. It just means no more hand-wheel-walking when we’re 90. Is there a doctor in the forum?

uni57 (Dave)

I think it will be more linked to how long you stay fit enough to do.it.
With age, falls become progressively more dangerous, and the extra height
falling from a uni may break the old brittle bones.
Not sure how true this is, but 2 people told me quite separately recently
that a fall for a 75 plus person has a greater than evens chance of
complications leading to death.
So I would guess you need to judge whether a fall is likely, restrict
yourself from the wilder tricks as you age, and give up when it starts to
feel too dangerous. I think as you age you naturally become reticent to
try certain things, even those you were happy with a few years before.
There is probably more data on the age people give up two wheel cycling.

I know one unicyclict over 60, but he is very fit for his age ( He must have
been about 60 when he started to ride).

Naomi

I don’t know what I’m talking about but I’d guess that it is actually a loss of sense of balance. Otherwise, wouldn’t you be able to use your good sense of balance to not need to use muscles as much to correct your balance? (I know that’s strangely worded).

Andrew

In article <En%D9.642$wR5.8454@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net>,
Naomi <Naomi_Sajeri@hotmail.com> wrote:
)falling from a uni may break the old brittle bones.
)Not sure how true this is, but 2 people told me quite separately recently
)that a fall for a 75 plus person has a greater than evens chance of
)complications leading to death.
)So I would guess you need to judge whether a fall is likely, restrict
)yourself from the wilder tricks as you age, and give up when it starts to
)feel too dangerous.

Giving up has a 100% chance of leading to death.
-Tom

Having children is hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any kids, chances are you won’t either.

1 Like

Re: Re: Re: When will we be too old to unicycle?

“All these men have taken a vow of celibacy, just like their fathers, and their fathers’ fathers…”

:slight_smile:

Phil, just me

1 Like

Ciao tutti,

There is 75 year guy in our club. He is always the first at the hall, gets out all the unicycles and the ‘Kunsträder’ and pumps
them up before anyone else shows up. While the rest of us practises, he usually does some stretching or simply watches
what the rest of us is doing. At the very end of the training session,
he will ride around the hall on a 26" uni while having one of us on each side for support.

Hopefully, I am still able to unicycle when I have reached his age.
But before that I will certainly enjoy lots of unicycling in the upcoming 35 years.

Hasta luego,
Franz

:smiley: Yeah, old people unicycling r kool!

Theres a guy in my unicycle club, and unicycle HOCKEY club, whos 60. Hes kool. He looks about 35. I’ll try and get a pic of him (if its ok with him). Wen we play gladiators, he nearly always wins. Hes SO strong. LOL

ne way. I’ll try + find a pic.
CYA

Joe

“yoopers” <yoopers.enbkm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message > Having
children is hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any kids,
> chances are you won’t either.
>

Is that linked to that other hereditary disease:namely insanity …
which most people inherit from their kids?

Naomi

it’s never too late to have a happy childhood! (or a good morning)

i suspect the balance issue may be linked to deterioration of the ears
they are vital to balance and as they go, your ability to experience a sense of balance will decrease, let alone the ability to correct it

i’ve read about a 91 year old unicyclist on this forum
a search will get u the rest of the story (including the fact that he learnt last year!!!)

i see a gentleman of around 60 at our climbing gym regularly
i’ve taken a leaf from his stretching book
it was interesting to c the comment about the 75yr old unicyclist doing a lot of stretching
it is so beneficial and we should really be doing more of it before we ride
all of us
u 2 yoopers
most of us wont go out without strapping on our safety equipment
consider stretching to be safety equipment for your muscles
if u truly strive for a loooooong uni’ing career, start stretching today and if u have time to fit in a yoga class once or twice a week, good on u

Stretching

I have to do a lot of stretching for the rehab of my recent injury. Six + weeks without using the calf really tightened my achilles.

I was not making enough time to stretch until I found the perfect opportunity: Log onto RSU, stay out of the chair, and stretch while reading the list.

i shave my noggin on a daily basis and have taken to getting out of bed, sitting on the floor and stretching while shaving me head with an electric razor
there is always time, u’ve just got to look for it

One of my basic goals in life is to ride a unicycle on my 100th birthday. A big part of this is the committment to reach the 100th birthday, and if I can get on and still ride a unicycle, that’ll be icing on the cake.

USA founder Bill Jenack can be seen in the “Unicycle” video, deftly riding his old 50+ pound wagon wheel unicycle with perfect control at around age 63.

There was a gentleman from Phoenix at NAUCC who is 92 and rides. I regret not getting a chance to meet him (or see him ride). I did see him; he didn’t look 92.

Same is true for the woman I photographed (visible somewhere in my NAUCC or UNICON photos), who is reportedly 70+, but again doesn’t look it.

I think the two main factors in physical ability when you get older are genetics, and fitness. If you stay active as you age, I’m sure you will be better prepared to do things, including falling down. The high incidence of injury for older people in falls probably has a lot to do with lack of fitness, so people fall more clumsily than they would otherwise.

Genetics is something you either have or you don’t. So don’t cry about it, hedge your bet by staying in shape.

I can believe the assertion that balance fades with age, though I don’t know if the person who mentioned it has any evidence of this, or if it’s just a “feeling.” Since people lose their sense of taste and other senses, it can easily happen that your inner ear system’s signaling can deteriorate. How much this affects you probably goes back to the genetics thing.

If I ride regularly throughout my life, it should be easy enough to still ride a unicycle on any day for the rest of my life, or at least until my body can no longer handle the exertion. May that day not come for a long, long time for any of us!