When to fix or when to upgrade? Looking for advice.

Back in 2009 I bought my first real unicycle - a Nimbus 24" MUni in orange. It proved great and I can hardly believe I’ve been using it for the last 6 years. However, the tire and tube need replacing bringing a cost of near $75. I’m wondering if I should put this money towards repairs or sell my unicycle and put it towards something else? A larger, 26" MUni would be nice but I’m not sure I could even find a decent one for around $300…

There may not be that much practical difference between a 24" and a 26", especially as the tire on the 24" might be larger in diameter.

That’s a good point too. Just seems 24" parts are harder to come by than 26" parts and when I was poking around on the forums, it appeared many were against the 24" size. Decisions, decisions…

I can’t tell from the way you wrote whether or not you are feeling antsy about upgrading, or if you are okay with the 24 as a size.

So, let’s assume that you are perfectly fine riding the 24, and apart from apparent lack of tires, you are content with it.

Based on my experience I am a much better rider now than I was when I began. I roll through landings more, i roll through turns more (even when I’m making quick corrections), and I’m more comfortable hopping. All of this is less wearing on a tire (I believe). So here you are 6 years later needing a new tire. If you figure that your last tire cost $12/year that’s not too bad. Considering how much wear a new rider puts on a tire I would guess that your next tire will last a little longer. So, it could be worth the repair.

Also, I’ve been using 26" mountain bike tubes in my 24" MUni for years with no problem. That could save you a good little bit of change.

with a standard MTB tube I think your cost would come south of $10/year on your tire.

Now if you just need an excuse to get a new MUni…

Thank you for the break down and helpful opinion! Really appreciated. Looking like I should stick with what I’ve got…

In regards to tubes, I’ve actually bought several within the last couple years. Using 26" tubes was recently advised to me and it seems you share the same opinion. Do you have one you recommend? Currently looking at the Maxxis Downhill.

The 24x3.0 tyre should be available for £20-£30 under the Halo Contra brand name. ($30-$45 US)
Available in the UK via a few cycle suppliers.
£19.99p http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/2494/Halo_Contra_Tyre_TYHAC430?gclid=CIXi_8WMmMgCFcFsGwodWXoO6w
£22.95p http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/tyres-c125/halo-contra-24-dh-tyre-p13635
UDC (UK) £27.50p http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-parts/tyres/halo-contra-24-x-3-0-tyre.html

A tyre upgrade could be more expensive.
But a like for like repair should cost less than $50 if you shop around.

I honestly don’t know what brand it is in there at the moment. I do know that it was in the $3-$5 range, and so probably a Duro, CST (makes Maxxis), Kenda, IRC, or other average asian tube. I know I got the largest standard weight tube, and i think it was a 2.35". Anyway, I haven’t looked back.

It’s true that it’s harder to find decent 24" Muni tires now. There just aren’t as many on the market. That said, I’m still riding my state-of-the-art Muni from 2003, with a 24" Sun Doublewide rim. :slight_smile: