Wheelbuild price question

is $60 with a lifetime truness gaurntee a good deal?

No. Its free if you build it yourself. Theres plenty of guides around, and its pretty simple anyway. Im sure if you had a go you would get the hang of it, and if you went wrong there are plenty of people on unicyclist.com willing to help! :slight_smile:

Go on, have a go!

Rock on!
Edd

not a great deal, not a bad deal

Most wheelbuilds i have seen are around $40 but with a lifetime trueness guarantee $60 is not a bad deal.

Personally i have built a few front wheels on bikes, two uni wheels but always pay to get a real wheel built. i would choose a wheel build that has a lifetime trueness guarantee not so i would never have to true it but because it shows that the builder knows what they are doing and has confidence in their skills and materials.

Wow I would check the terms and conditions of that very carefully but if it’s good then it seems like a sweet deal, never have to mess around getting that wheel trued again.

A good wheelbuild shouldn’t need truing, unless you do things that really stress the wheel loads, like do big gaps on it, or ride trials in general.

I’d check the conditions on the guarantee, because it may be limited to wheels that aren’t jumped or used for trials.

Joe

You’re young, learn to do it yourself and you’ll have a lifetime trueness guarantee on all of your wheels. The worst thing that could happen if you build a wheel and it doesn’t come out quite right, is that you just have to work on it a little longer until it’s exactly how you want it to be. Pick up this book, do what it says and you’ll be successful.

The Art of Wheelbuilding: A Bench Reference for Neophytes, Pros & Wheelaholics (Spiral-bound)
by Gerd Schraner

the guy said no strings attached ( i asked him when i asked the price)

Tell him what you are doing, and show him what trials riders do, then if he still sais no strings attached then I would totaly go for it.

Go to your LBS and see if they have any crappy rims that you could take home and practice building a wheel. Then try to build it your self. If you can build a wheel you can true a wheel in the field.

BUILDING A WHEEL CAN BE A PAIN IN THE ASS.

I’ve asked around, and its usally 40 - 55 dollars to get a wheel built. 60 even if they will true it once or twice extra for you is still a good deal.
BE warned if you have neer built a wheel it is not fun, and not easy to true strong. If the wheel you need built is expensive than i would suggest not messing with building it.
On the other side being able o build a wheel is a good thing to know. Maybe you can pay 60 and watch and get a few tips from the guy.

I’m inclined to agree, if you’re using expensive components and you need it strong then maybe get a pro to build it, you can always learn wheelbuilding by getting a wheel of a bike from the dump, stripping it down and rebuilding it to practise.

You can build wheels just fine on your own.
I have build trial wheels and muni wheels.
It’s fun to do if you do it slow and with some music on.
Just use this guide, and you will be fine:
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
Nothing hard about it.

Peter M

Building a wheel is more fun than riding it afterwards. However i doubt whoever would guarantee lifetime truness has prolly never had experience with Downhillers, Unicycles, or trials bikers. If you ride a wheel long enough, and hard enough no rim is going to stay in true.

I would like to point out that lifetime trueness guarantee never means that it is impossible for the wheel to become untrue, but that it will be a strong wheel build unlikely to become untrue for a reasonable amount of time. If/when the wheel does become untrue the builder will repair it for free (unless you do something stupid like have 6 people on your Xtracycled bike and your XC rim folds over :smiley: )

Like the saying goes: give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish feed him for the rest of his life.

or alternately

Give a man a fire, he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

seriously though, I just built one last weekend for the first time and as long as you have a couple of hours or so free (maybe less) you shouldn’t have any trouble.

It is good to learn how to build your own wheel. It’s good knowledge to have especially if you get involved enough in cycling to get interested in custom wheels. You’ll end up saving money over always having to take the parts to someone else to have built and trued.

I’ve been too lazy to learn how to build a wheel myself. I really should learn.

I found a local wheel builder who rides freeride and DH bikes. He builds wheels that can take abuse. He knows how to get the spokes really really tight and how to get them properly stress relieved so they stay tight. He built my muni wheel and that wheel has never had to be trued. I’m not the most aggressive rider, but I’m no sissy either. It has taken years of abuse and never needed to be trued. That’s what a really good wheel build can get you. But I’m also not Ryan Atkins or Kris Holm (I’m a sissy).

The labor price for the wheel build was $30 (USD). That’s a typical labor price for a wheel build. No guarantee on free wheel truing came with it. His bike shop is out of business now anyways so a guarantee would have died with the shop (please support your local bike shops so they can stay in business).

So, if you can find a wheel builder who can build a really great wheel it can be worth it. I wouldn’t be able to build such a wheel for myself without lots and lots of practice. If I built a wheel for myself it would surely need to be trued regularly because of a less than skilled wheel build.

Would a guarantee on staying true be worth a $60 wheel build? I don’t know. It’s double the cost of what is typical for a wheel build.

Who would the guarantee be with? him? his company? define lifetime. what do you think the lifetime should be? If you’re supplying all the parts, build it yourself first & realise how easy it is (or screw it all up & then get him to do it.)
Most importantly, remember a verbal guarantee or contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.