wheel walk frame between feet

How do you wheel walk forward with the frame between your feet? What is the foot position for the foot behind the frame? My toe keeps getting stuck between the crown and the tire!

This is #22 on the Standard Skill List. Description:

“Riding forward by propelling the wheel with one foot placed on the wheel in front of the frame and the other foot placed on the wheel behind the frame.”

That doesn’t help much. I don’t think I’ve done this trick, and without trying it to jog my memory, I think it’s included because the list includes the same trick going backwards. Going backwards gives the rear foot something to do. Going forward, that foot probably gets in the way more than anything else.

Something you could try is to use the top of your foot on the tire. Pull up with that foot, then push down with your front foot. That could be interesting…

I think this skill appears in a universe video, sort of. There are a couple of riders who wheel walk forwards with both feet in the behind the frame, pulling up on the wheel with the top of the foot position. It looks a bit like ballet.

What part of the shoe would be making contact with the tire for the back foot? I’m guessing that you would be using the top of the shoe and the laces to walk the tire. If you used your toe and the bottom of the shoe you would have the problems that Mr. IUnicycle is having with the toes getting jammed between the tire and the crown.

This seems to be the only way that feels slightly right. With the toe bent with the shoe sole on the tire, it doesn’t seem to work too well. Getting this one smooth will be the trick, I think. It seems more like a variation, or complication to one foot wheel walk.

It might be possible to try this as a forward koosh koosh, using only the back foot to move the tire, and using the forward foot to hold the tire between strokes, but that one might have another name.

Hmm, it seems like you get the most leverage with the back foot by using the top of your shoe on the tire and placing this part of your shoe on the lower part of the tire, below the axle, then pulling up. Otherwise, it won’t be long before the toe hits the frame or gets lodged between the frame and the tire. When you pull up, the front foot slides back along the top of the tire toward the frame, providing a scuffing sound. While you push with the front foot, the back foot drops down again. The back leg is almost staight at this point.

Now if I can just do it without holding on to the ceiling!