Wheel size effect on geared unicycle (was another coker on ebay).

Continuation from this thread

I’m not sure if it would be easier on a smaller wheel. I’ve only ridden one size (26") so I can’t compare. I think I’ve heard others mention otherwise. I’d be interested in what Kris Holm has to say about this since he has a geared 36er.

I think the thing that makes the geared uni harder to ride is that small changes are amplified. Small bumps act like larger bumps, and UPD’s are accellerated.

…on the hill climbing, the seat/frame wants to full forward when you try to stand up going uphill. This makes it harder.

I don’t think the difficulties have much to do with slop or the flywheel effect. I think it really has to do with the amplification effect. This is why I wonder if a 36er might actually be easier since that wheel size is already good at smoothing out irregularities.

I also don’t think better gearing technology will help much. Even if you completely eliminated slop and the gearing was completely smooth, the fundamental behaviour of the cycle would not be drastically altered.

quote:

Originally posted by daino149
I know we are getting further and further off topic, but…
For all you who have ridden the geared uni, do you think it would be easier to ride if it used a smaller wheel? A wide, slick 24 perhaps? I’d imagine you’d lose a lot of speed, but it’s more compact and if it’s easier to control, might be more practical for getting between classes or short commutes.

Why is Blue Shift so hard to ride in less then optimal conditions? Is it just because it’s geared up and your mind has trouble dealing with it? Is it slop in the gearing? Is it the lack of the flywheel effect because of the lighter smaller wheel?

I’d like to think that a geared uni would one day be able to do the job of a Coker. Maybe not with the current gearing technology, but some time in the future.