Wheel building

Cor. I have a new-found respect for people who build their own wheels… it isn’t half frustrating stuff.

My brother fiddling with his wheel prompted me to get mine tightened to not creak… but I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone and replace the hub too, after damaging it previously.

The thing came to pieces easily enough, although doing anything fiddly 36 times is, well, fiddly.

Then putting it back together again… The wheel building page at sheldonbrown.com was marvellous, although sometimes a bit confusing as to which side of the wheel or hub it referred to. Either way, the wheel looked alright when I came to the limit of my abilities and took it to the bike shop for them to tighten and true it. I was half expecting a look of horror and a cry of “Which cowboy did these spokes! They’re a disaster!”, but it was not forthcoming. It didn’t fit very well on their jig, mind…

It isn’t half satisfying though, when you put the last spoke in and it actually looks like a proper wheel. I’m not such a buffoon after all… :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

Re: Wheel building

> It isn’t half satisfying though, when you put the last spoke in and it
> actually looks like a proper wheel. I’m not such a buffoon after all…

Even the tightening and truing isn’t so hard as I thought it would
be. I rebuilt my Coker with advice from Leo, and Sheldon Brown’s
site, and it seems OK. I just did lots and lots of tiny tweaks, until it
came right. The first short ride on the new wheel was very satisfying.

It is certainly round, and true to a mm or so, and it doesn’t creak. But
I think the rim might be slightly off the centre of the hub, as I now have
a tendency to drift to the right that I didn’t used to. 'Course, could be
lots of other things, too…

I hope you took enough pride to be sure you could read the text on
the hub through the valve hole, as Sheldon Brown says you should.
I was lucky, and Leo says he does about one in thirty six wheels. :wink:

Arnold the Aardvark

Re: Re: Wheel building

Sort of… I read that bit and thought “oo, here’s my chance to make it look like I know what I’m doing!” so lined up the hole and the writing nicely… without realising that the hub needed to be turned slightly. You could read it, but only just…

I think the most frustrating part of the whole exercise has to be putting the tyre back on. I don’t think I’ll have the problem of the tyre coming off like some others have had; it almost bends the tyre levers getting it on, let alone off. But then there’s the little rim that needs to sit outside of the edge of the wheelrim; ensuring none of it is tucked underneath required a lot of poking with flat bladed screwdrivers.

Phil, just me

Re: Wheel building

> I think the most frustrating part of the whole exercise has to be
> putting the tyre back on.

Yes. Getting the Coker tyre on the new aluminium rim was very tricky.
I scratched the nice black paint job before succeeding. Most upsetting…

Re: Re: Wheel building

I had that problem when it was new, I was distraught when a slip with a tyre lever left a gouge in the paint. Now, however, it is less of a problem…

I’ve just been out for a test… marvellous. Right now I’m putting some flashing lights round the spokes. :slight_smile:

Phil, just me

Phil,

I know exactly how you feel. I built my first wheel (or most of it) a couple of weeks ago (as you may know) and I’ll soon be building my new wheel. It’s very satisfying.

Andrew