Wheel Building Question

Okay, I finally got my most wonderful custom MUni! There’s only one problem. I have to build the wheel. I’ve got all the spokes, the hub, and the rim, but I need to put it all together. Does anyone know of a wheel-building FAQ or a website where I can find out how to put all this together, or even a thread on here that discusses this step? When it is all done, it will be the most beautiful unicycle in the world. I’ll post pictures as soon as I get it built.

I’m just doing the standard 3 cross pattern, but I’ve never done this before, so I want to do it right.

Sheldon Brown is the man to listen to.

Go here;

for your wheelbuilding directions.

It’s not as hard as you think.

Mojoe

Thank you. Once I got started, his instructions made a lot of sense. So far, the intimidating task isn’t so bad. I’ve got about 3/4 of the spokes in, and it seems to be going the way it should. Everything looks like his diagram.

I’ve now built my wheel, but I’m afraid to try and true it on my own. So I’m going to take it to a bike shop tomorrow so they can finish it for me. I got all the spokes on there correctly (I think), with only a few minor problems, so I’m feeling pretty good. The only problem is that the spokes seem to be a little too long. Could be my lack of experience. Anyways, I’ll let the professionals take care of it tomorrow.
Pictures to be coming soon…

If you change your mind, or the LBS is too slow or too expensive, it is entirely possible that you can do it yourself.

If you take your time & only make small changes you can’t do any damage.

I have built 36 unicycle wheels & found it throughly enjoyable.
//\

That sure sounds awesome Paco, building your own Muni.

But, why would you do that? Pride of saying you built it? Cost Savings? Getting exactly what you want? --chirokid–

For me it was getting exactly what I wanted, knowing that nobody else in the world has the same model, cost savings (the main reason), and the joy of designing the frame and building the wheel.

Andrew

I personally built my own MUni because I got a frame and a hub from Steve Howard at the Moab MUniFest (from one of the games), so I had to build it. But what a blast. I’ll post pictures in a few minutes.

BTW, I ended up building it myself with some help from Tron (he hasn’t posted on here for a while). More about that adventure soon…