whats your NKS rating?

I’m
(the max) - (that dmn bw pirouette) = still not enough

try this page on unicyclist.org, that I’ve just modified.

I’ve tried it in all browsers that I’d have, the javascript seem to work in all of them.
And even without javascript enabled your score will be calculated.

Now I need to write some clear explanation, to make things crystal clear how the method works.

Further -here comes my personal opinion- I thing the difference between “riding 50 m” (1) and “riding bw for 10 m” (4) is way bigger than “walk the wheel one footed with left foot in a circle” (10) and “walk the wheel one footed with left foot in a circle” (10). And so making the sum pretty useless, if you want to use it to compare one rider with another
I think the levels never should be used in a competive way. They were not ment for that, but to stimulate the individual level of riders. And so I opt for the rNKS method: each level 1 skill 10 pts, each level 10 trick 1.

damn1t, I could have spend that time on the seat in stead of behind the keyboard and screen, a well it was fun anyway.

If you’re the max minus the backward pirouette, why is there no backward spin or pick up/kick up from seat drag in back on the levels section? I’m sure anyone with enough patience to learn the transition to side ride shouldn’t have too much trouble getting something as easy (relatively) as the kick up from seat drag in back!

I agree about not competing on the skill levels, but I do find them to be a great personal motivational tool.

a) nobody submitted a movie. But please feel free to do so.
b) making such movie requires a
rider [1] willing to spend time [2], a cameraman [3] willing to spend time [4] at the same moment as rider is [5], a location [6], thats available [7] on the same moment as when rider and cameraman want to use it [8]. A.s.o.
Besides that my execution will pass the rules, but not be representive as ‘the example’. So I think it was cutted out by a mean editor (yes me) that keeps eye on the quality level.

This was the level I had 5 years ago. Due to injury on my shoulder I could’nt practise like I used to. And so I’ve not been focusing on the levels at all. But spring just has started, so maybe I fill in those gaps soon.

Lars Lottrup recently notified me another mistake on that list: on level 3 and up you are not allowed to let a L-foot mount and a R-foot mount as seperate mounts. Will fix that as well, though I think it’s not needed to give examples on there those headings.

On that statement I can only speak for myself, and agree on that. However it are not the only ways to get back into riding position. So I don’t realy understand what you’re trying to say.

Exactly. It’s a very good way to explore the different sort/types of skills, and to stimulate L/R ‘compatibility’ which is often the key to progress (and many often not only for the skill you’re focussing on)!

I know there’s other ways to get out of seat drag in back, but the kick up, (with the heel, the foot stays on the pedal) is the only one I can do. I don’t really know how hard the others are. From my very minimal side-riding efforts, I’d say that getting into and out of side ride must be far, far, harder. I may submit a movie of the kick up from seat drag if I can make a good one. Unfortunately, my seat is missing its back bumper at the moment, so I haven’t done seat drag in back for a couple weeks. The new bumper should be arriving soon.

By the way, I like your site and use it a lot. It’s very helpful for figuring out exactly how to do certain things. Thank you for making such a great resource!

I’m 282 :slight_smile:

New Kewl System/IUF Skill System ONLINE

Hello,

I’am building a script for a website that calcutates your NKS and IUF Skill Level.

Now I’am with level 3. But ofcourse I will finish it.

Ferko

I actually re-did that, I’m at around 220 because of some skills in level 9 and some in level 8 and 7

cool. ill check that out when you finish. i want to see what i am im sure its at least in the 400’s.

I just redid mine and found I am closer to 159, However, what are spins?

check here

While I agree that “riding in a circle smaller than the wheel is” is probably a very good definition of a well-done spin, the USA definition, is somewhat less restrictive as to how small the circle has to be. The USA rulebook says: “Spins must be performed within a 1 m circle, around a fixed point (no wandering spins). In a spin the rider must perform five (5) full rotations. The rider must maintain pedal rotation during spins (no pirouettes).” While that may do for passing the skill levels, if you actually want to do a visually attractive spin in a performance, you should tighten it up to a lot smaller than a meter.

Thanks!

Re: Re: whats your NKS rating?

[QUOTE]
Originally posted by Klaas Bil

Question to saam (the ‘owner’ of the NKS):

Does one have to get in and out of the skill as per the level rules,
or is just doing the skill in itself sufficient to score?

Also, I understand that the maximum allowed number of failures per
level doesn’t apply, right? So if you can ‘just’ do it, you qualify.

well, maybe there could be two catagories

1. your rating abiding to the official rules (you would write your rating with an O after it)
  2. is you rating not abiding to the official rules (you write you rating with an UO after it)

my ratings are:
76/603 UO
69/603 O

but if you wana just quickly write your rating, use the UO one

pretty interesting idea. mine is about 59, I can do all the skills in levels 1-5 and all the skills in level 6 except for frontspin and spin. and I can glide, unispin, one footed wheelwalk, seat drag in front, and maybe a couple other level 6+ skills…

EDIT oh, I see how it works now, make that I have mastered 59/97 skills, and I have a score of 292/603.

i know this sounds dumb but how r u guys getting like exact scores.

use this page, and check all the boxes for the skills you can do. then click the button at the bottom to tell you your score.

My rating is 136/603 very UO.
Cool idea! Espesially for me who never learns the stomach on seat and is held back by that in the old skill boring skill levels.

o now i feel kinda dumb. yea i thought my ranking would be higher than 239 but hwatever

Re: whats your NKS rating?

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:19:42 -0600, “saam” wrote:

>> well, maybe there could be two catagories
>>
>> 1. your rating abiding to the official rules (you would write your
>> rating with an O after it)
>> 2. is you rating not abiding to the official rules (you write you
>> rating with an UO after it)
>>
>> my ratings are:
>> 76/603 UO
>> 69/603 O

Number 1 doesn’t work out right. The official rules that you are
referring to, say that you can only have one retry per set of skills
for a particular level. That implies that you have to demonstrate that
you qualify for all the skills in one level, or you fail all of them.
Therefore, in the “official rules” version of the NKS, there would be
only ten possibilities, i.e.:

level total points
1 3
2 17
3 41
4 77
5 132
6 210
7 287
8 367
9 493
10 603

Notice that ‘69/603’ isn’t one of them. I think that people generally
assume that if you have done a skill, that’s good enough to check it.
I think that that is what most people find attractive in the NKS. In
other words, the UO version is fine. The O version, if you abide to
ALL official rules, is just the old skills system in disguise. If you
would respect only SOME rules, you must be more specific. But I don’t
think we need the O version at all.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

As to O vs. UO, I recommend a somewhat official system. That is, you obey all the rules about individual skills, including such fine points as transitions, going the full distance, doing five full revs for a spin in a 1-meter radius, and doing three full revs in place for the pirouette. For instance, when I gave my first NKS rating, I did not include seat in front one-footed riding, because I had not yet done it properly, that is ten meters, with transitions, and holding the seat so that neither the seat nor my arms from the elbows down touched my body, as is required. (I have since gotten it. My rating is now 568, but that’s beside the point.)

My reason for suggesting this is that otherwise the NKS rating is almost meaningless. If I dropped all the regulations, especially the ones about transitions, and the full ten meters and full 5/3 revs for spins/pirouettes, I could give myself the same rating as Leo: everything minus the backward pirouette, even though I can only side ride two revs on a good day and I’m still a long ways from a proper pirouette and backward spin. Conceivably, if I ignored the official rules completely, including those about not holding onto anything to do the skills, I could even do the backward pirouette, simply by riding up to something backward on a slippery surface, grabbing hold of the object, and twisting myself around very slowly three revs. (assuming I was following the three rev rule.) I could even ignore definitions of the skills completely, and say that backward riding was equivalent to sideways wheel walk. After all, it would be unofficial. :smiley:

So basically, your NKS rating is meaningless unless you follow the official rules for how to do the skills very closely, or at lest indicate to what extent you depart from the rules. Official rules help make this a unicycling community, where we can discuss skills, and understand what others mean by them. :slight_smile: