whats your NKS rating?

i know this sounds dumb but how r u guys getting like exact scores.

use this page, and check all the boxes for the skills you can do. then click the button at the bottom to tell you your score.

My rating is 136/603 very UO.
Cool idea! Espesially for me who never learns the stomach on seat and is held back by that in the old skill boring skill levels.

o now i feel kinda dumb. yea i thought my ranking would be higher than 239 but hwatever

Re: whats your NKS rating?

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:19:42 -0600, “saam” wrote:

>> well, maybe there could be two catagories
>>
>> 1. your rating abiding to the official rules (you would write your
>> rating with an O after it)
>> 2. is you rating not abiding to the official rules (you write you
>> rating with an UO after it)
>>
>> my ratings are:
>> 76/603 UO
>> 69/603 O

Number 1 doesn’t work out right. The official rules that you are
referring to, say that you can only have one retry per set of skills
for a particular level. That implies that you have to demonstrate that
you qualify for all the skills in one level, or you fail all of them.
Therefore, in the “official rules” version of the NKS, there would be
only ten possibilities, i.e.:

level total points
1 3
2 17
3 41
4 77
5 132
6 210
7 287
8 367
9 493
10 603

Notice that ‘69/603’ isn’t one of them. I think that people generally
assume that if you have done a skill, that’s good enough to check it.
I think that that is what most people find attractive in the NKS. In
other words, the UO version is fine. The O version, if you abide to
ALL official rules, is just the old skills system in disguise. If you
would respect only SOME rules, you must be more specific. But I don’t
think we need the O version at all.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

people who unicycle are shyly exhibitionistic - GILD

As to O vs. UO, I recommend a somewhat official system. That is, you obey all the rules about individual skills, including such fine points as transitions, going the full distance, doing five full revs for a spin in a 1-meter radius, and doing three full revs in place for the pirouette. For instance, when I gave my first NKS rating, I did not include seat in front one-footed riding, because I had not yet done it properly, that is ten meters, with transitions, and holding the seat so that neither the seat nor my arms from the elbows down touched my body, as is required. (I have since gotten it. My rating is now 568, but that’s beside the point.)

My reason for suggesting this is that otherwise the NKS rating is almost meaningless. If I dropped all the regulations, especially the ones about transitions, and the full ten meters and full 5/3 revs for spins/pirouettes, I could give myself the same rating as Leo: everything minus the backward pirouette, even though I can only side ride two revs on a good day and I’m still a long ways from a proper pirouette and backward spin. Conceivably, if I ignored the official rules completely, including those about not holding onto anything to do the skills, I could even do the backward pirouette, simply by riding up to something backward on a slippery surface, grabbing hold of the object, and twisting myself around very slowly three revs. (assuming I was following the three rev rule.) I could even ignore definitions of the skills completely, and say that backward riding was equivalent to sideways wheel walk. After all, it would be unofficial. :smiley:

So basically, your NKS rating is meaningless unless you follow the official rules for how to do the skills very closely, or at lest indicate to what extent you depart from the rules. Official rules help make this a unicycling community, where we can discuss skills, and understand what others mean by them. :slight_smile:

Re: Re: whats your NKS rating?

I’ve been basing my score on being able to do a skill well enough that I could reliably pass the official level. That means that I have to be able to do the skill properly and with the transitions and be able to do it reliably enough that wouldn’t mess it up during a level test. That means that I have to be able to do the skill correctly and cleanly the vast majority of the time (say 90% or better).

I’ve done the backwards seat out back for 10 meters successfully a couple of times. But I still mess it up way way more times than I get it right. I don’t consider it to be a skill that I could count on the NKS system and it’s not a skill that I have counted even though I have successfully done the skill.

Oh, I also made a slight update to my spreadsheet. It now totals the number of skills. There’s 97 skills in the list. The download is here: nks_unicycle_skills_rating.zip

Re: Re: whats your NKS rating?

sorry for the miss under standing i ment abiding to the part of the rules that reads:
"All skills start and end with the rider riding forward, seated with both feet on the pedals. All mounts end with the rider riding forward with both feet on the pedals. "
not the failing part, OK

my new ratings are 84/603 UO, 79/603 O :smiley:

besides the levels page of unicyclist.org I’ve also wrote a PHP script for anyone who want to add it to her/his website. Get the code here.

About a million for me I think… Yeah, thats right, a million.

Trev

I’m 304 by Leo’s site… that could probably be higher, but I stopped caring about levels a few months ago (I havn’t been riding quite a year yet).

Dave

wow, a gem from the past, Thanks to petad for bringing this up: link

This could be really nice to supplement the level system. You could say you are a Level X with Y points.

This could be good for people who have a low level because they never bothered to learn a particular trick but can do a wide variety of tricks.

28 im no very good

I’m somewhere around 316, I’ll have to go out and see when I ride tomorrow. I haven’t really tried riding seat on side.

It looks like I score “1”, but I have only been trying for a week.

Wow, blast from the past :slight_smile:

1303 days later i’m at about 160 :sunglasses:

Still the same haha as before (282)

on a good day, 101.
It seems like all the high skills are for freestyle performance, not like trials or street, eg. pirouettes, and all sorts of variations on figure 8s