What's your LEAST favorite riding style?

Probably BC because it hurts a lot.

Please, spare us. Think about it. How would you use this data in a useful manner? Is your demographic representative? What are your expectations with respect to what should be learned by polling this particular demographic?

freestyle’s dope

Freestyle is Dopesause. Its awesome. there isint really a style wich I dislike…

even though its freakin intense, i dont like flat. It all looks the same to me. BUT i have some major respect for the peeps who are good.

Don’t knock it till you try it!

My least favorite style (that I have tried) is road riding with stupid short cranks, lead weights on your spokes and a skinny 120PSI tire, on a rough road, with your arm half a foot lower than it is supposed to be cause you just ripped all the ligaments holding it up and your collar bone is almost sticking out your back while you are just about late for your Native Law final exam.

I came up with this style in April 2007, It must suck cause it never really caught on.

I don’t know what the different styles are, to be honest. :o

No contest. Any kind of riding involving a giraffe uni! Hands down!

Have you tried a giraffe? I had a home made giraffe that was real fun till the wheel tacoed on me when I jumped down curb. Definitely a better style than this

I think I agree with Terry on Giraffes, but I don’t have much experience with them, and they are fun to get ontop of. 700c road riding is pretty lame too, just seems like a waste.

I’m not a big fan of flat for myself, but its basically the same thing as freestyle which I enjoy so I can’t really rule it out.

Part of my problem is that I enjoy everything, so I’m not particular great at anything either, but being good at things isn’t the most important thing.

My least favorite is flatland and street, like other have said - it’s because I don’t get it. I am absolutely terrible at it.

If i could get myself to commit to landing something (or at least trying to land something), it would be a different story.

Respect to those good at it because it looks incredibly fun to do.

Street.

I hate it because I love it too much.

And Flatland…

Its too addictive. Ruins my shoes.

Road riding and Hockey.

Kangaroo and juggling while riding.

ergh… some trials (can be boring), or perhaps just long distance riding.

Or some old school circus riding can be somewhat demeaning lol.

Edit: also traditional Japanese freestyle isn’t too fun. Yeah, that’s probably my least favorite. It’s also impressive at first but gets old after like 3 routines.

Some of you are confusing equipment or tricks with styles of riding. Giraffe or juggling are not styles. You can do MUni, Freestyle or Street on a giraffe, though juggling pretty much slots you in the Freestyle (or just messing around) category. A giraffe can be very fun in a parade, if that’s your cup of tea. My favorite thing to do with a giraffe in a parade is pretend to start falling toward people you don’t know are there. Everyone else (but those people directly in front of you) thinks it’s hilarious. It never gets old!

I think BC can count as its own style though, because the body moves required to ride one are in their own category. Still, you can do Street, Flat or Freestyle on a BC.

Having said that, and eliminated lots of things that aren’t styles, I’d have to say I appreciate all styles of unicycling, even if I hardly ever do some of them. I guess what I don’t like is any style done badly, by someone who has the skill to do it better. Especially Freestyle, in competition, where you’re watching something that’s supposed to be entertaining. :slight_smile:

And BTW, if you didn’t understand all that stuff Harper was saying about polls, basically he’s saying polls are useless because a) Most creators don’t know what polls are for, b) Most creators don’t realize they are not polling a typical cross section of unicyclists, c) Usually there aren’t enough responses to provide any meaningful data, d) You never know how many people are responding honestly and how many are randomly claiming stuff just to be annoying. Don’t make polls.

I disagree with you their.

Perhaps it’s time to separate freestyle into two styles, like street has, Old school freestyle and new school freestyle.

Old school freestyle may involve these things like juggling, giraffe riding, and other things of that nature, but not new school freestyle. Not the freestyle that I grew up with!

To me freestyle is just a bunch of tricks which include, but are not limited to glide, wheel walk, and seat misplacent :stuck_out_tongue: variations.

I refer to old-school freestyle, as just circus-style. Perhaps this was freestyle 30 years ago, but modern freestyle and old-school freestyle is in my eyes incomparable.

freestyle and long distance riding I think…:wink:

So then you would classify juggling on a unicycle as Freestyle… old school?

I agree with you on those two basic Freestyle variations, and there are more. There’s Japanese style, which is more dance-based. There used to be German style, which was more Artistic Bicycling-based (seen in group performances, including the winning group at Unicon III). Plenty of other sub-styles we could probably name, though several have come and gone over the years since I’ve been involved.

The big difference between what you described as new and old-school Freestyle is the gear. The newer style, or what I called in the 80s a “pure” style, is just one regular unicycle and no (or perhaps minimal) props. The other would be basically everything else. That style didn’t really exist 30 years ago. Not that it hasn’t always been around, but didn’t necessarily catch on as preferable until it won championships. In the first four Unicons, all the Men’s Freestyle winners used a single 20" unicycle and, if I remember correctly, no props. I remember the women using props at Unicons III and IV though. I would say that new style developed out of the “Swedish Style” of the early 1980s and always used a 20" wheel, instead of the 24" wheels that were more common for Freestyle at the time.

Fortunately, Freestyle encompasses everything, so there’s always room to try new (or old) things, with or without the various sub-styles.

I think all the various styles are goood in their own right and I can’t decide which I like the least.