What's the easiest unicycle to ride

I have been thinking about what would be the easiest unicycle to ride
from a learners perspective. From what I have read, and I am very new
to unicycling, the general consensus seems to be a 20inch wheel. Do
things like rim construction (steel or alloy) make a significant
difference - I am thinking here in terms of wheel inertia due to the
higher mass of a steel rim. If the wheel inertia effects ease of
riding, so too will the tyre, so a heavy Muni tyre would be more
difficult to control than a lighter tyre.

Is the above true?

If so, would a 20inch, alloy rimmed, light weight tyre uni be the
easiest to ride? I ask this as oldfatboy seemed to be making more
progress with a 20inch wheel than his 24. Is that due to the wheel
size, the inertia of the wheel, or just that it suits him better. I
suppose that crank length has a big effect too?

Just wondering,

Learner

Any 20" wheel with 125 or 127 cranks with a fairly smooth tyre will be just as good as any other. Steel or alloy makes no difference to the beginner, you wouldn’t be able to tell. The only reason for not having a Muni tyre is that the roughness of the tread makes them more jerky and difficult to ride, and a smooth BMX tyre (hookworm, the wall etc.) is the type to have. Consideratin of inertia due to the weight of components is usually saved for high speed unis, 28", 29", 700cc and 36", for instance a 36" with the alloy airfoil rim instead of the standard steel rim will feel much different, but only becasue the wheel is so large that it normally flexes alot and the inertias considered are very large. Do however check that the tyre is pumped up and the seat is set at the right height, this is where many a beginner has wasted time making things harder than they need be. As for 20" versus 24", i think genreally those who are very tall do better on 24", everyone else does fine on 20", i’m 6 foot and i learnt on a 20" with no problems. Crank length does have a big effect, but it’s easy for the beginner, just stick to what your uni came with, it was designed for learning to ride on! (unless you;ve got ahead of yourself and bought a fancy freestyle) Basically 125 mm for 20" and 150 mm for 24", shorter cranks require more control that you will learn one day, but don’t have right now. Hope this all helps.

I learned to ride in about two or three days on a 24" with 165mm cranks, my little brother and his friend both learned on a 20" with 127mm cranks, in about the same amount of time.

Learning to ride a unicycle, dosn’t take that long, don’t worrie about learning to ride the thing like its some impossible endevor, it will seam very difficult when you first start out, but then it will become progressivly easier very quickly.

Instead pick a unicycle based on what you want to do when you can ride it, which wont take long.

sorry i cant resiste
The kind with 2 wheels called a bike!

Re: What’s the easiest unicycle to ride

20" is indeed somewhat easier to learn on than 24". Here is the
research to prove it:

I also feel (it wasn’t included in the research) that crank length
matters. A 24" wheel would probably be easier to learn on with 150 mm
cranks than with 125 mm cranks.

Having said all that, I agree with cyberpunk. Buy the unicycle that is
suitable for what you want to do with it once you can ride.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Unicycling is like glue: you have to stick with it, and it’s not to be sniffed at - Mikefule”