What's the best trick you've ever seen?

I was just thinking after watching some of those amazing Unicon 11 videos that I’d like to see someone do a 360 uni-spin and let go of the seat in mid-air then land in a seat drag.

What are the best tricks that you’ve ever seen in any category of unicycling? One of the ones I can think of as one of my favourites at the moment is the bit in New World Disorder where Kris Holm rides along a railing near a park that looks like it’s about 5cm (2") wide. It’s ridiculous!

Has anyone got any amazing photos they can post of people doing crazy tricks?

Thanks,
Andrew Carter

I didn’t get a chance to see it live, but #1 on my list of the world’s hardest tricks is riding an inverted ultimate wheel on a slack rope.

This was featured on the cover of the IUF section, inside the USA’s On One Wheel in the early 90s. The performer’s name was Reino from Sweden, and he did this around 1960 or so.

Inverted ultimate wheel means he was pedaling it with his hands, in a handstand. Way sick.

Inverted ultimate wheel! HOLY S*&@!
Does “on a slack rope” mean something similar to a tight rope. I’ve not heard this term before.
The best trick I’ve seen live was a 2-man stunt when one guy idled on a unicycle juggling 3 clubs and the other guy(not on a unicycle) leap-frogged him, stole the clubs, and continued juggling. Not too shabby. Performed at the RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology) juggling convention spring '02. Sorry I can’t give credit to the fellows that performed it. No pictures either. Too bad.

That was Anthony Shave and his partner Chuck. (I hope, to be fair, that Chuck’s friends can’t remember Anthony’s last name, too). They perform under the name Perpetual Motion. They did this routine at the IJA festival in Reading this year where they won the People’s Choice award. I was fortunate to see them perform it at the Philadelphia Juggling Festival this past October. No pics either, I’m afraid. Perhaps Anthony, who is an occasional poster here, can direct us to some video or photos.

While I agree that their act and that bit in particular is difficult and very entertaining, I’m still partial to Ernest Montego’s combination finish to his act. You can see the video, here:

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: What’s the best trick you’ve ever seen?

High on my list are the ultra-graceful stand-up coasting spins that Kazuhiro
Shimoyama did at Unicon X (and on the Toyoda video John Foss received from
them this summer).

Talking about rail riding, watching Kris at Muni weekend this year was
amazing. He stood up on a narrow rail (narrower than 2" for sure - more like
1.25" or 1.5"). He mounted into a stillstand, then rode on down the rail for
a long way. Incredible.

Another one I’ve seen lately is my son doing Muni seat drags. That is, as
he’s cruising down a dirt trail, he drops the seat in back and keeps going,
navigating around obstacles, with the seat ploughing through the rocks. Not
in the league of Shimoyama or Kris, but hey, he’s only 10.

Sorry no photos.

—Nathan

“andrew_carter” <andrew_carter.eexpy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:andrew_carter.eexpy@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I was just thinking after watching some of those amazing Unicon 11
> videos that I’d like to see someone do a 360 uni-spin and let go of the
> seat in mid-air then land in a seat drag.
>
> What are the best tricks that you’ve ever seen in any category of
> unicycling? One of the ones I can think of as one of my favourites at
> the moment is the bit in New World Disorder where Kris Holm rides along
> a railing near a park that looks like it’s about 5cm (2") wide. It’s
> ridiculous!
>
> Has anyone got any amazing photos they can post of people doing crazy
> tricks?

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:55:31 -0600, johnfoss
<johnfoss.efkem@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>
>I didn’t get a chance to see it live, but #1 on my list of the world’s
>hardest tricks is riding an inverted ultimate wheel on a slack rope.
>
>This was featured on the cover of the IUF section, inside the USA’s On
>One Wheel in the early 90s. The performer’s name was Reino from Sweden,
>and he did this around 1960 or so.
>
>Inverted ultimate wheel means he was pedaling it with his hands, in a
>handstand. Way sick.

There is a picture of a Swedish stamp featuring a drawing of this very
feat on <www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/stamps.htm>.

Klaas Bil

"The dial tone of a normal telephone is in the key of ““F””. "

This is a fun thread isn’t it!

John,

That’s amazing! Have you got any photos of it?

Nathan,

That’s Beau you’re talking about isn’t it? I’ve seen him in a couple of your muni videos which would be quite old by now. He sure does have a lot of skill, and he’s only going to improve. I wish I was introduced to unicycling at a young age, that’s what I’m going to do when I have kids.

Anyone else have something to add (with photos if possible)? I wish I lived in America for a year or so so I could go to all these muni weekends and unicons, etc.

Andrew

Hi,
Here is a photo of what Nathan Hoover describes, an ultra-graceful stand-up coasting performed by a Japanese girl at the Unicon 11. These is one of the best tricks I’ve ever seen.

Carlos Medina
Puerto Rico All-Stars
Unicycle Basketball Team

Carlos,

Thanks for posting that picture. I’ve seen that sort of thing in a couple of videos.

Raphael,

I just watched that video of Ernest Montego. I’d love to see something like that live. One thing I’ve always wondered is how do they do things like when he was balancing a ball on a stick with another ball on top. How is that possible? I mean this sort of thing…

Andrew

zzz.jpg

Yes, he’s the man. We got to meet him at the 1997 International Jugglers
Festival. He gave a workshop with lots of demos of his incredible moves, but
he had just had a hip replacement that year (he was 62 then) so didn’t do
the big unicycle finish trick.

He did do lots of mouthstick balancing and the way he does the double ball
balancing is to use lots of balance - ie pure skill.

And yes that was Beau I was talking about - my only son. He went on his
first Muni ride with “the guys” at age 7. He learned to ride at age 6 vs age
38 for me…oh well…

—Nathan

“andrew_carter” <andrew_carter.eg5gz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:andrew_carter.eg5gz@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Raphael,
>
> I just watched that video of Ernest Montego. I’d love to see something
> like that live. One thing I’ve always wondered is how do they do things
> like when he was balancing a ball on a stick with another ball on top.
> How is that possible? I mean this sort of thing…
>
> Andrew
>
>
> ±---------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Attachment filename: zzz.jpg |
> |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/89638 |

Lets not forget Harper :slight_smile:

Uni-Leapfrog

Thanks for the compliments guys. Unfortunately I have no videos or pictures on the web, but both do exist elsewhere. I know the trick will be on the IJA videos and there is a picture of it in the Sept/Oct Issue of Juggle (2002). I also might still have a picture on my computer at home so if I do I will post it here tonight.
Anthony

Holy cow! Now THAT’S one-foot idling!

Julian Monney static coasting for 30 seconds at Unicon Beijing 2000 and Eurocycle Plymouth 2001.

Coasting = no contact with tyre or pedals
Static = stationary i.e. go gyroscopic effect to help balance

Leo White, Cheltenham

Leo,

Please tell me you have a video of this (or at least a photo)!

Andrew

They’re not tricks. They’re skills.

silly rabbit.

That is a very good, and non-trivial point.

From the point of view of common usage they are both. From the point of view of performance they are arguably tricks. From the point of view of practitioners they are most arguably skills.

The distinction between “circus” stuff and “sports” stuff also comes into play, whatever being the former category generally be a “trick” while that which is in the latter generally being a “skill.” Of course, this too is value-laden and artificial.

Language is a funny thing.

All this being said, it is interesting that you make this comment now because it was just this weekend that in doing the indexing of On One Wheel that I decided to use “Skills” as a preferred term whether it refers to a circus or sports thing, with “Tricks” falling into the category of a “See” reference.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

To me a skill is a behavior you can make use of to accomplish something. Riding forward is a skill cause I can get from A to B. Hopping is a skill because I can use it to go up a curb. So is a static or rollback mount.

Something that one does just because it’s neat or hard or flashy is a trick. Side riding to me is not a skill, it’s a trick. So is wheel walking. And a twice-around side mount.

Calling something a skill doesn’t make it more than a trick, or useful. Conversely, calling something a trick doesn’t cheapen it or make it meaningless.

Riding a unicycle is almost by definition a trick, because a bicycle is oftentimes a much more efficient or easier tool to use to accomplish something.

The only end-around that I can think of is calling everything a skill because of its usefulness in entertainment, or in building an entertaining routine, or even making a video. As unicycling matures into a multi-branched sport, that end-around should become less and less satisfying.

“Nice trick”, to me, is a great comment on a long wheel-walking run. “Nice skill” somehow doesn’t seem to fit.

<<Currently working on wheel-walking and twice-around sidemounts, in hope of becoming a skilled trickster>>

I should have put a smiley at the end of my comment because it was slightly in jest. :slight_smile:

When I’m practicing I say I’m working on skills. Either trying to learn a new skill or working on improving an existing skill. I don’t say I’m working on tricks. But as you say it does depend on the point of view. To people watching they’re tricks. To the person riding they’re skills.

Maybe the difference is that being able to perform a certain maneuver is a skill. For example you may have the skill to be able to one foot wheel walk. Actually executing the skill makes it a trick. So you don’t practice “tricks” you practice “skills”. When you perform you perform “tricks” rather than “skills”.

In the x-games they have a best trick contest. It wouldn’t sound right to have a best skill contest. You actually have to execute the skill successfully to be able to win so it’s a best trick.

My best trick is getting Harper to let me ride the Uni.5 29er last weekend. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: