What's the best thing about riding on slickrock?

Aside from the scenery, what do you find to be the best thing (or things) about riding on the slickrock in Moab?

I have my own answers, but was curious what the rest of you thought.

Re: What’s the best thing about riding on slickrock?

In article <johnfoss.lmlmz@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
johnfoss <johnfoss.lmlmz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Aside from the scenery, what do you find to be the best thing (or
)things) about riding on the slickrock in Moab?

1. The variety of the the terrain. There are an infinite number of
    lines on most of it (choose the easiest or the hardest, based on your
    proclivites and talents), and there are lots of scary but doable
    technical bits. The side slope switchbacks are particularly fun. (Not
    that I managed to handle many of them…)

2. I thrashed my uni enough to justify buying a new one.

3. The generosity and camaradarie of the group. There are not many
    sports where a chump like me can ride with the best in the world and
    be treated as an equal.
    -Tom

Re: Re: What’s the best thing about riding on slickrock?

Tom Holub’s response hit all my main points, including the joy of busting my POS Savage so now I can get a real toy. The other two elements that I really liked were the ease with which you can scramble back up to the top of a ridge to repeat a good line, and the visibility of those lines…kind of like high alpine skiing out west…the trail is irrelevant, you just point it down and go.

The other element is just the traction…it was cool to be able to ride down pitches that in mossy Seattle would have left me quite flat on my back.

And the hang was just the best…I am glad to have found so many cool people in one place.

Tom

I agree with the others listed and will add a bit.

Respect. I didn’t hear the “where’s your other…” from anyone. I think that the non-riders that saw us out there were pretty impressed. In discussions while we were stopped, it seems more than a few people were inspired to learn to uni/MUni. On the Porcupine Rim trail, one kid on a mountainbike had been learning to ride a unicycle after watching Kris Holm’s videos. HE was talking to Kris while we were all riding down the trail. He’ll soon be hopping around on a KH24 and I fully expect to see him at MUniFest next year.

Options. I liked the fact that with the wide expanse of slickrock along and beside the trialmarkers, you could find a easy line directly next to a very technical line; allowing newer riders (me) to ride next to and keep up with more experience riders. This allowed riders of varied abilities to ride together and me to learn what is possible to ride, eventually. :slight_smile:

Comradery. I can no longer say that I’ve never riden with other unicyclists. An analigy would be going from sensory deprivation to sensory overload. It will be fun to meet up with some of you later this spring for more riding. Telluride bound… and Aspen when the Snow melts and the pass reopens.

Great responses. So far we have:

• Variety of terrain
  • Beats up uni, giving you excuse to buy new one
  • Easy to climb up hills
  • Visibility of lines
  • High traction
  • Many options of lines

There were also comments on the group, which goes with any MUni gathering, and the slickrock can’t claim as its own. Also respect was mentioned, in that the bikers didn’t ask where the other wheel was, etc. This I also find to be generally true on trails as opposed to urban riding.

But you guys forgot a nice one:

• Unicycle doesn’t get dirty!

And a huge one:

• Awesome scenery! (Many trails can claim awesome scenery, but the scenery of the Slickrock Trail is fairly unique)

I was trying to think of anything that you all might have missed, and I remembered one. It’s up to you as to how imprortant it is.
How about the fact that from now on, when you tell people that you do mountain unicycling, you can say that you rode Slickrock. Most people (even outside of Utah) have heard of Moab or Slickrock, which gives them an idea of what kind of things that can be ridden on with a MUni. Besides, the bragging rights are great.

Re: What’s the best thing about riding on slickrock?

In article <johnfoss.loq0z@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
johnfoss <johnfoss.loq0z@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)But you guys forgot a nice one:
)
)- Unicycle doesn’t get dirty!

That’s a good thing?

)And a huge one:
)
)- Awesome scenery! (Many trails can claim awesome scenery, but the
)scenery of the Slickrock Trail is fairly unique)

You said “except for the scenery.”
-Tom

That’s a great one, Paco.

I would boil it down to:

• You can say you were there

Slickrock is a death defying ride. Go on a hot day and run out of water before the end of the ride and you literally are defying death.

Fortunately this year the weather was very nice and did not get hot.