What would you take with you to a 30km ride on 36er?

Now that you’re older you’d take at least 10 liters of whiskey?

As per the question in the title: what I would take is cellphone, house keys, GPS and some emergency money. No tools, in most cases I just take the chance. If the ride is 30 km, then the worst that can happen due to mechanical failure is a 3 hour walk back - and then only if there is no public transport, and you can’t call someone to pick you up. But of course I would don my padding including helmet. No water or food since it’s a relatively short ride and not too hot around here. (I would probably drink beforehand and afterwards.)

But as per the question in the text: what you should keep or get rid of? Pfff, I don’t know. A pump is hardly useful without tyre patches. Perhaps add some water if it’s hot?

I’ve finished the track!

Hi All,

I finally completed the ride and without any technical failure.
The length of the track was changed to 24 km (instead of 30 km).
I did the entire track without stopping at all - average speed of 15.3 km/h and max speed of: 29.8 km/h.

Here are the full track details: http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/rotfeld/aq87qf6bpqa5pp6j

I did suffer from pain in my legs muscles for two days after…

I used a 145 mm cranks and I’d like to try using 125 mm cranks for my next goal of 65 km track.

Any advise you can give me on how to accomplish this goal?
Will the 125 mm improve dramatically the performance?
How risky will it be during road climbing?

BTW - here is a picture of mine from the event taken by a photographer from one of the online news sites:

Thanks for the help!

Nice!

I’ve had the tyre off my 36 a few times and I have to use long heavy duty tyre levers suitable for a car/motorbike tyre. It’s not easy, and it can take the finish off the edge of the rim.

What would I take on a 30km ride? I did 32 miles yesterday (my longest ride for a while) and I took one cycle drinks bottle full of squash, a spare lightweight top, 2 sizes of Allen key, and enough money to buy a coffee and a slice of delicious date and ginger cake.

There’s a lot of personal taste in this, but on my 36 I always find myself going back to 150mm. I have ridden many miles on it on 125s, on and off road, but I prefer the control and safety margin of the longer cranks. Shorter cranks will increase your cruising speed, but if your journey includes hills, obstacles and junctions you may find that the shorter cranks are slower because of the longer lead-time for stopping and speeding up.

Also, shorter cranks focus al the effort in a small part of your muscle movement. I think they make you more tired. (I have ridden my 28 on sizes down to 80mm and I used to ride easy cross country on a 24 with 102s so I have some experience in this direction.)

For me personally, 150mm is the right balance for a big wheel: small enough to spin, long enough to push when you need to.

In my experience, short cranks are more of a problem downhill than uphill.

I’d go 125 if I were you. I find that 137 on flat surface keeps me spinning too much.

Nice job, One4All. As many of my fellow riders noted (and as I think you figured out when the ride was shortened to just 24km), tools aren’t really essential for such a short ride. I’m guessing you’re relatively new to uni’ing, but my experience is that Coker tires are pretty awesome and will not fail unless you’re extremely unlucky, so a spare tube is unnecessary (and impossible to change on your own), and the same is true for a spare tire.

I recently rode 170km, tho there were tools available here and there, and I was riding mainly streets (so cabs were also available). But even if I were riding along a highway, I think the most I’d bring for a ride of 30km or so would be:

multitool
a little water (depending on temp and humidity – maybe 2L at most)
electrolyte tablets and chewies
a bissel nosh, probably in the form of a Clif Bar
cel phone
money enough for a cab (or a credit card)

As for the crank size, I’m surprised you were still on 145s (this is what made me think you might be relatively new to riding). I swapped out my 140s for 125s within a month of getting my first Coker, and a year later I tried 110s (too scary for all the street/sidewalk riding I was doing – but so fast!). I ride my new g36 with 125s (during my Century I had to switch to 150s midway for various reasons, but that was the only time I felt that need). Admittedly, I have a hard time stopping, but you’re a young guy, so maybe you can deal with that better. I probably need a brake.

Hi David,

I’ve been riding for almost seven months now, but the last 3-4 months were very intensive in which I ride from home to work every day (I gave away my car).
I got a little more than 1000 Km on my 36er so far.
The thing was that I never thought I’d need a shorter crank, but on the other hand I don’t want to get disappointed or “jump too high” beyond reasonable safety of riding.

I think I’ll give it a shot and see how it goes.
I have a brake which I use pretty good at road slopes, but its the climbing that worries me most - what would happen if I get stuck in the middle, or fall back… could that happen?

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the advise.

Thanks!

Thanks for tip.

Don’t listen to that Mike guy. 150s on a gearless Coker are super slow and put your legs (knees) thru a huge amount of movement over the course of a long ride. Yes, of course they’re harder if you’re riding up huge hills (I’ve had to dismount and walk up a few hills in my day), but if you have a brake, then the short cranks are fine for going down steep hills. And on not-too-steep uphills, you’re actually better off on shorter cranks because they’ll get you to the top much faster.

My brother and I were riding up the only steep hill near us. He was on 110s and I was on 150s (I was riding my g36 in low gear). He absolutely smoked me up that hill. A few weeks later, when I had shifted to 125s, I could keep up with him for the most part.

Plus, you’ve got a young man’s legs. When you’re old, switch to the 140s.

RE cranks - I’m slowly migrating to 150s for all my unicycles except my 20 incher. On the 36 they give me good power and don’t wear my knees too much. I’ve only gone on one long ride so far (26 mi) and I cant say my knees were any more hurt than the rest of my body. I haven’t tried smaller cranks yet and I’d like to, for a flat trail, but I think I’ll miss the climbing ability the 150s give me. But then again I’m really old, or so mi 12yo son tells me.

RE the tires - I can change the tube on my Coker with my fingers. Granted, I can do this with most bike tires, but I’d characterize the fit as “loose” in this case. It’s a double walled, painted rim - an Aero? The tire is a ribbed Coker.

So, I guess it does vary a lot from combo to combo.

Hey Dictator for life, I missed a smiley after “that Mike guy”. Someone who posted like what? 10 years? on this forum deserves some more respect, IMHO, especially since he has thought quite a bit about crank length. You may disagree with his opinion, of course, but crank length is a matter of taste anyway - preferences vary between individuals, and also may “creep” over time, usually towards shorter cranks. Since the OP has only been riding for 7 months, and rides in a hilly area at that, I wouldn’t recommend short cranks too strongly.

Earlier, when you wrote about John and you riding up that hill, ISTR that you chalked up his good climbing ability to his recent experience/training, and not so much to crank length. Indeed short cranks are usually faster overall than long cranks, and that may include uphills, but only if you can ride them in the first place.

:slight_smile:

Rectification accepted :slight_smile:

Ok, I got my 125mm cranks installed today.
Tomorrow morning I will put it to the test :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Thanks!

I rode this morning to work ~10 Km with my 125mm cranks and was great - it was like surfing or gliding in comparison with the 145mm cranks I had so far.
A bit hard to get used to mounting with it, and it does take more strength in general, but it pays off! - more speed :slight_smile:
The slopes were very easy since I use the disc brake and it made no difference from that perspective.
I need to continue practice, as I have less than a month left for a 65 Km ride event.

Thanks everyone for your help!