What to do?

Hi, i have been doing bike trials for about two years now, except i snapped my bike frame…so ya no more bike for a while cause they are bloody expensive! So i think that trying out and getting into uni trials will not only be cheaper, but also be fun and a bit of a challenge, along with benefiting my bike trials in the future. The only problem is that i don’t know what to do exactly. Do i by a beginner/cheap uni and learn how to ride and stuff and risk breaking it when i get better/do trials stuff, or do i just get a beginner trials uni right away? Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

unless you want to waste a hundred bucks on a cheap uni, go for a decent one right at the start. you’ll have to get recommendations on a good 20" from other guys, though.

I would get a torker LX to start with and after you learn upgrade to a trials.

Get the fancy, expensive uni now. You’ll be used to the saddle and everything when start doing tricks and it won’t break. Oh, and also keep on riding the bike because the posistion you use on a uni is different from a bike and will compromise your balance on the bike if you don’t keep riding.

Get the fancy, expensive uni now. You’ll be used to the saddle and everything when start doing tricks and it won’t break. Oh, and also keep on riding the bike because the posistion you use on a uni is different from a bike and will compromise your balance on the bike if you don’t keep riding. HAVE FUN!!!

if money isnt a problem, than ide say get a trials. but thats just me, im not that experienced

Your a bike trials guy, you know that if you buy cheap parts, it will brake faster, also about maintenance and what not.

As a beginner with unis, then wanting to go straight to trials, and with your biking background, you will probably start doing some big drops and nice lines quickly.

If I was you, I would buy the Torker DX, off of a ebay store called bicycle source, something like that, its the cheapest place to buy it, and it its a trusty reliable store to buy from.

You can learn on this uni fine, my friend and my girlfriend have used it to learn on. It also has a great Alex DX32 rim, and a Hub\crankset that will last you a long time, untill you start doing lots of 8+ foot drops.

The frame, is the only thing to worry about, usually, on a uni, the frame is the last thing to go, but on the DX, it will give out in about 5 months of heavy riding. But, for about 50 dollars you can replace it with a nice Nimbus II frame, which will last you for years.

Once your progress even more, you can replace the DX hubs and cranks, once you break them, for a profile set, or a KH set (I am not sure if KH fit the Nimbus II frame though) and then end up with a top of the line trials uni.

Oh! Welcome to the forums, everyone here is extremely nice, and we will answer any and all questions you have, about learning, tips, saddle soreness, everything.

Darren Bedford Hes the guy to talk to. Hes a uni expert and hes based in Toronto…Its nice to see another Canadian on the fora. Cruise around and enjoy yourself, were all very nice people.

You’re in Canada, right? If so, it will probably be cheaper to buy unicycles here: http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca/

They only have a price list, though, no pictures. You can search around these forums to learn more about all of the different hubs (all 5 of them :roll_eyes: )

It sounds like you are probably going to go into trials for sure, and like Jerrick said you will be jumping off of rooftops in no time. You’ll probably want to start out with a nice strong unicycle, so maybe the Kris Holm 20" trials unicycle (also sold at Bedford)? KH products are usually very trustworthy (I’ve heard…)

Well thanks alot for all the tips and the info. ALso thanks for the warm welcome and for being so cool and melow and stuff’s. When i get my uni, i’ll look forward to not only riding it but also asking you guys all the common questions that must be asked by a newb.

Cheers! :smiley:

Yep, we are a very nice and helpful bunch.

Also, once you get your uni, make sure the cranks and pedals are on the right side.

The R on the crank in pedal on the right side, the L on the cranks and pedals on the left side, or else you can warp the threading and ruin your pedals and/or cranks. It shouldn’t be two hard to find out the right side, most frame have the front clearly marked by a sticker, head badge, or from the seat clamp.

When riding, mount with your preferred pedal down, and then step onto it, holding onto a rail, or a wall/fence. Bring your other foot up, and either roll back a little, or roll forwards a little. You should have the pedals in a horizontal position, and either your left or right foot in the front.

Now, get yourself situated, make sure your not gonna be sitting on anything, so you gotta just gotta scoop it all to the front and out of the way. Just make sure your comfy.

Now you got yourself up and ready, remember to keep ALL of your weight on the seat, that is truly the key to unicycling. My girlfriend finally got all her weight on the seat, and ride better than ever, my friend just realized he wasn’t putting his weight on the seat, and now that he is, he can finally ride. Keeping the weight on the seat is CRUCIAL!

Sit up straight now, look straight ahead, down look down at the tire or your feet, just straight ahead. Take a breath, and pedal.

Most likely your gonna fall right off the bat, but dont worry, we all did, get up, get back on, and keep going.

You’ll be riding in no time! =p

P.S. Awesome avatar…Shifty Five!

welcome to the forums. If money isn’t a problem, I also suggest getting a fairly nice trials uni right away.

also, your avatar scares me.:slight_smile: