What sort of shoes do you wear?

That is an interesting take. I have never noticed that problem with any of the boa shoes I own. The effortless, uniform tension has always been my favorite part about the boa shoes. I suppose that it does put an additional demand on shoe fitment, however, because I have had trouble in the past figuring out the perfect size that fits just right, going up or down a half size depending on brand, or skipping out on some styles outright. I suppose you are right though about it being a minor inconvenience to tuck the laces.

These are my favorites:

My original favorite, after installing Lock Laces:
Five Ten Sleuth Canvas,
https://a.co/d/0fEhze7l

Or Leather,
https://a.co/d/02gGA7pI

My new favorites, after installing Lock Laces:
Five Ten FreeRider Pro (NOT regular Freerider)
https://a.co/d/0iZDSssM

1 Like

I had heard of those Freerider Pros in an MTB article. I guess they have a cult following for their comfort and grip. Is that why you like them so much? I hadn’t considered an aftermarket solution to replacing laces, so I just looked them up. Are the little elastic bands really adequate to keep the shoe snug enough for riding?

1 Like

Not here to recommend any particular shoe type.

However, here’s an absolute rule that I follow and its kept my "minimized probability of injuries.

ALWAYS WEAR THE SAME SHOES WHEN YOU RIDE YOUR UNICYCLE

Early on, I’ve had issues with “not enough grip” but also with “too much grip” where I wanted to abort but could not.

There are 2 main factors are:
1.) Traction: May also depend on your pedal(I use plastic spike pedals, tried AL spikes before…tore me up, no thanks)
2.) Shoe height: Especially, in the heel area this can affect your seat height setting,also.

So, pick the shoes that has the best combination of those factors, or just go by “feel”. However, always wear the same. No matter how inconvenient. I keep my unicycle and the shoe together at all times.

…slam

1 Like

Lock Laces are definitely adequate for keeping the shoes locked to your feet.

The Stealth rubber on the soles of the Five Ten shoes provides tons of grip. If you need less grip, then you can use a plastic pedal. They still provide great grip with a plastic pedal (ie. Fyxation Gates, or Look Geo Trail).

1 Like

@slamdance Great advice on the consistency point. I found out early on in the learning process that consistent gear is important to comfort and confidence in learning. I found that even using a different pair of bike shorts threw me off when I first started learning.

I might have to try your suggestion on those Five Ten FreeRider Pros. Your shoe recommendation comes so strongly recommended, and the lock laces look like a good alternative solution. I will think it over…

I usually ride with cheap trekking shoes

Either some hiking shoes (Muni only) or 5/10 (Muni or road)

Either Crocs with no strap (so strap doesn’t get caught on crank) or hiking sneakers.

1 Like

I HATE changing shoes! But I try to stay with the same brand but because I have child size feet it’s hard to find shoes that are supportive. Someone told me that they make kids shoes with less support because they don’t think kids need as much support. I wear a size 3-3.5 in kids. They last me about a year of riding- I only have one pair of shoes that I strictly wear for unicycling because I want them to last as long as I can.

haha you ride in crocs, that is funny! I mean its all about comfort!! I sometimes I ride barefoot lol :joy:

I used to practice a lot on Crocs, they are comfortable, but they break very quickly.

I use the Addidas 5 10 trailcross stealth. They have a firm, flat, sticky, sole that grips the peddles well. They are without the heel lift, more like a flat sneaker. They come up around my ankles to give protection. (The uni geezer was wearing the 5 10 shoe years ago, so I decided to try them. This is my second pair.) The company is now Addidas.

BAREFOOT!? I tried riding barefoot but it’s painful.

1 Like

This was me a couple years ago but I don’t recommend it lol :joy: I did just buy a hatchet 26 inch nimbus mountain uni and rode it barefoot but it has medal spikes on the pedals so it hurt