What should be my next trick?

So, I’ve mastered WW and 1-ft WW, so what should be next? I want something impressive that will officially make me an “expert” or “good” unicyclist. Also, I tried seat drag and it’s devilish, so please don’t recommend this trick, I might burst…:wink: Thanks in advance for your ideas! One more thing, I’m practicing backwards WW, but it seems I always go so slow I twist around and fall. Any ideas?

Saying that you’ve mastered WW and 1-ft WW is a bit premature. You haven’t mastered a skill till you can do it with perfect smoothness for as long and as far as you want. You haven’t mastered a WW skill till you can do it with perfect smoothness in a figure 8. You’ve still got some work to do. :slight_smile:

We’ll have to see how you do on that 1-ft WW in the gym at North Bend. :slight_smile:

Work on spins. But if you do spins on textured concrete or pavement you’ll be buying a new tire every couple months. Spins are fun.

Working on doing one foot skills with the other foot is also good to learn.

Learning to turn in a smooth circle backwards is good.

Backwards seat out front is good.

Hmmm…

You could try lots of different stuff. Like John Childs said, backward seat in front is a good one. You can also try backward seat in back. I learned it before backward seat in front, so it’s not too much harder.

Seat drag is very hard, comparitively, and I don’t recommend you start work on it for a while, because it’s very easy to screw up your unicycle and yourself doing it. (Trust me. I bent my rim within ten minutes or so of my first attempt. When I came back to it six months later, I learned it fairly quickly.) It’s a great skill, but you need to be really, really, good at seat out riding first, so you can ride seat out holding the seat very losely, but without much wobbling. The best and certainly most interesting way to get that good at seat out riding is to work on seat out backward, as well as odd tricks like seat in front one-footed (with the seat tight against your body it’s not that hard) and chin on seat riding. (just requires a little practice with squat-riding first.)

You might want to consider starting coasting. Coasting takes very long to learn, (six months for me, simply to go 10m and ride out once) but I don’t think it matters much when you start. Since coasting reflexes are completely different from regular riding reflexes, you can’t build them any way except by trying it again and again and again. (Unlike most of the other high level tricks, where you apply lots of stuff from lower level skills.) I started on it when I was just learning 1ftWW, and I’m very glad I did.

A much maligned skill which I think you could start on is hand wheel walk with the stomach on the seat. I learned this shortly after 1ftWW, so I don’t think it’s nearly as hard as is sometimes thought.

Rather than practicing backward WW, which is in my opinion harder than seat drag, you could try backward spoke walk. For this trick, you put your feet on the sides of the tire behind the frame and push the wheel backward. Most people think it’s harder than regular backward WW, but I think it’s easier, since you’re pushing, like in regular WW, rather than pulling. There’s a video of me doing it in a circle here.

You can learn to hop standing on the wheel. This is a very easy skill which doesn’t require any unicycling reflexes, but it’s useful for sideways wheel walk and passing level six, and it’s kind of fun. The transitions are tough, but not outside your current limits. Just make sure you don’t let go of the seat while hopping up there, because that’s another good way to damage your uni.

And finally, learn lots of mounts, especially into things besides regular riding. A lot of them are really cool, and you’ll need a bunch if you ever want to pass level seven or higher.

If you want advice on how to learn certain of these skills, check out The Unicyclopedia’s Freestyle Page.

Odd.
I was thinking “gliding” would be next (and appropriate for his original post).

One good exercise for SIF improvement is to ride forward one cycle, back one-half, forward one, back one-half, etc. It’s a really good leg-burner, improves your knowledge of the entire pedal cycle, and eliminates any left-right dominance because you are always switching leading foot. Variations include doing the same to the rear (one back, one-half forward), and idling in the middle of that to either side.

Another really good thing to do is to ensure that all your 1-f skills are symmetric with each foot, as John Childs said.

I agree with ChangingLINKS.

Doesn’t it usually go:
WW
1FWW
1FWW down progressivle steeper hills
Glide
?

Thus, if you are interested in gliding, you should start 1FWWing down steeper and steeper slopes until the wheel starts to walk itself and you have to start slowing it down… thus gliding.

I had forgotten about that one. I’m going to practice that myself. I had already decided to start mounting and hopping with the weak foot forward.

(I have noticed that my technical downhill is weak because since I ain’t good at slowing down with the strong foot on the back of the cycle.)

Awesome idea!

Gliding, surely the King of all freestyle tricks (for non-freestyle riders).

JL

if you wanna be cool… or achieve expert status, then grinds will be a sturdy next step on the road to glory.

grinds… i shall say no more

I had a dream last night that I could glide, so I’m going to practice it today once I get my cranks. UPS said it was at SeaTac airport getting ready to get on a truck to come to my house. SeaTac is about 1.5 hours from my house, so they should come soon. Grinding sounds cool although it would tear up my freestyle uni, and I don’t have a trials uni.

You don’t even need cranks for gliding. That’s the beauty of gliding. Just find a hill and hop on. Haha.

yea if youre gonna learn gliding do this and dont let the foot resting on the unicycle touch the wheel or else its hard to stay on. at elast this is true for me.