What Music Do U All Listen To While You Ride?

I’ve heard of 'em. I think they’re at least sorta famous. Heard a CD of theirs recently. I liked it.

A company called Caprix makes skating helmets that you can buy headphones that bolt in.

a company called caprix makes skate helmets that you can buy headphones that bolt on.

I mainly do commuting to work and street riding. I can’t imagine riding without music. I agree about it not being very safe not being able to completely hear everything around you but I can’t go back and ride without it ever again. Riding without it messes up my rhythm and balance. I feel much more comfortable with music then without. I listen to Metallica, Ozzy, Rob Zombie, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, 80’s music, 60’s Motown, Pantera, Marilyn Manson, Offspring, Union Underground, Disturbed, Cowboy Mouth, Van Halen (DLR not Hagar), Motley Crue, Billy Idol. I’m sure there are more but I can’t remember. Later, gator. Stay on top and keep the music loud.

Aj

P.S. If it’s too loud, you’re too old.

I like to litsen to all the 70’s rock. Like,Jimmi Hendrix Experience, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Guns n’ Roses, Black Sabbath, etc…

-Sabin

I don’t listen to music when I ride. But bands that I like Metallica, Slayer, Dead Kennedys, Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse. Anything heavy metal.

G n’ R sure went down hill after the 70’s didn’t they :wink:

I listen to rock, its kinda cool because the trails i ride match the music, my wheel hits the ground when there is a beat (my trails are technical) and I listen to the kinda punk rock that has fast beats (thrice, AFI, offspring, metallica, etc). the only thing thats bad is that you cant hear mountain bikers coming, and most of them are retard downhillers. but i havent got hit yet!

For me, take Sabin’s list and add Nirvana, occasionally Tenacious D, the Doors for commuting, the Beatles, a bit of Primus, Led Zepplin, Ben Folds Five, Bush, the Ramones, Queen, the White Stripes (sans the Seven Nation Army, I hate that song now), Iron Butterfly for looong rides, or short commutes when Inna Gadda Davida is playing :slight_smile: , and the list goes on…

Also, if I’m not mistaken, I think the song goes “Everybody in the club gettin’ tips.” I have my doubts that someone would rap about getting drunk…

As for commuting, I ride 2 miles to school on sidewalks with my minidisk player going, wihtout any problems hearing traffic. I don’t do trials with it in my ears because then I’d have to wear my camelbak, and that’d suck. I’d be fine with a solo muni ride with music, though. And as for the beat slowing me, I find I count in 1/8-1/16 subdivisions (instead of one-two-three-four, I’m counting like one-e-and-a-two-e-and-a-three-e-and-a-four-e-and-a), even on fast songs, so I’m going fast no matter what.

Edit: Did I mention Ben Harper? I like his version of Strawberry Fields (hills?) Forever better than the Beatles’. And his version of Voodoo Chile (slight return) is great, too.

I listen to the beautiful music my tire makes when it leaves the ground…

Re: What Music Do U All Listen To While You Ride?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:00:00 -0500, “James_Potter” wrote:

>Last week in track, we ran five miles, and the WHOOOLE time I had that
>“I’m your venus, I’m your fire, your desire” song stuck in my head.

The first number one hit in the USA lists of Dutch origin. When I was
young.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

Tonight I had THIS song stuck in my head while I was riding.

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/22/

I did a lot of road cycling when I was in high school and college. I even did a cross country (USA) bike ride after college. I survived all that cycling by keeping aware of my surroundings and riding defensively. Road cycling is not the safest activity. I used to joke that my idea of fun was going out and playing in traffic.

Riding on the road with cars going by is dangerous. The freaky part is that a large part of your safety depends on the people who are driving those big fast cars and trucks and their behavior is largely out of your control. You survive by riding defensively and being aware. When you’re riding along a road that cars travel at 55 mph (if they’re obeying the speed limit) you have to be fully aware or you’re dead. Listening to music makes you less aware. Being less aware increases your risks of being dead. Being dead is a severe consequence and I did my best to minimize the chances of that happening. You need to be able to hear traffic and you can’t afford to be distracted by the music. It’s too easy to get zoned out while listening to a song and forget to keep a constant eye out for what’s going on around you. Staying aware also meant that I always rode with a mirror so I could more easily see what was behind me.

Listening to music while in a car or while on a motorcycle is different. In a car or on a motorcycle you’re you’re keeping up with traffic. Big trucks are not going to sneak up on you. On a bicycle you’re riding 15 mph to 25 mph and cars are going by you and trying to pass you at anywhere from 30 mph to 65 mph. It’s the speed difference that makes it more dangerous. It’s the way cars try to pass that makes it more dangerous. On a bike you survive by riding defensively and being aware of everything that could in any way cause you danger. I don’t have a problem with motorcyclists listening to headphones as they ride. Motorcycles keep up and flow with traffic. It’s not like a bicycle at all.

I enjoyed listening to music after the bike ride was over. I’d often rest up after the ride by laying down on the floor with my headphones on. I really enjoy music so it’s not that I’m anti-music. There’s just a time for listening and a time for not listening.

Not to sound, uh, OLD or anything, but – “If it’s too loud you’re a dick.”

It’s called being considerate. If you’re at a practice place where music is expected, crank it up! But if you’re in a public place, where people don’t necessarily have the same musical tastes as you, it’s rude to play it real loud. If you’re passing by, no big deal. But not when you’re stopped, even in a car. If I’m stopped at a light and I can’t hear my own radio because a guy several cars away (it’s almost always a guy) wants to share his thumping rap (or other) with me, he’s being a dick. Whether he’s just enjoying his tunes or actually trying to annoy people doesn’t matter. When you’re around other people it’s up to you to be aware of what you’re radiating.

End old fart rant.

I ride to work, but much of that ride is along the road. Cars going 50 mph, with people listening to their own tunes inside, talking on cell phones, reaching back to smack the kids, whatever. I have to agree with John Childs that it’s pretty dangerous sharing the road with cars. It’s up to us cyclists to be aware of inattentive drivers.

So I doubt I’ll be listening to music on my commute, though I’ve thought about it. Maybe in one ear only, but I don’t want the lowered focus to make me less aware of my surroundings. It’s part of a desire to live to be old.

However, when practicing in place, music is great. Most of my unicycling development was during the 80s, and I love 80s music. also the Beatles and other classic rock. If I’m riding in a gym it’s always nice to have some background music.

Also a group of us old Redford people used to practice in the summer near my house, in the Livonia Mall parking lot on warm summer nights. There was a big totally empty area where I’d park my old Unibus, open the doors, and crank the stereo. No one to offend but us riders. Some of those riders are now known as Teresa Abrahams, Carol Bricker, and Wendy Gryzch. The guys’ names haven’t changed…

You’ve made some very good points, and yes staying alive is my number one priority, I suppose it depends on road conditions and I would certainly keep my ears wide open in conditions of busy traffic, but on quieter roads, especially on the longer rides I find music can really help me through the low points. But then I suppose so can bananas and a rest.
On the subject of mirrors (sorry to drift off the thread subject) I use one on my road cycle and find it invaluable, but there will come a time when I will want to take a unicycle on the road so will probably consider some sort of helmet mirror, does anyone use these and are they any good. Please feel free to start a new thread on this

Matt

I’ve been ponderin’ about this. I have a mirror on my bike ever since being passed with an unnervingly small gap by a motorbike going at what must have been over a hundred miles an hour. No warning of the approach at all until it had gone past. That’s a scary thing to have happen on a sunday afternoon ride in the country. It’s absolutely invaluable, I can’t imagine riding without one now.

Now while unicycling around town I keep finding myself looking down to where the mirror is on the bike, only to find all I can see is the pavement.

I’ve never actually seen any helmet mirrors available in LBSes - I can’t say I’ve looked all that hard, mind - but I’d definitely be interested if the things exist somewhere.

Phil

John Foss

I didn’t mean to offend anyone. I get really annoyed by people blaring their particular taste in music in public where everyone can hear it, too. I only listen to my music with headphones. I actually don’t like sharing my music with the general public. It helps me tune the stupid comments out but then again I guess it tunes out all the other noises I should be listening to, also. Oh well, what am I gonna do? Sorry, again.

Aj

No problema, Tex. My rant more of a general thing about the people I come across out here…

That said, I’ll slide a little off the topic to the mirror thing.

I used to have a helmet mirror. Didn’t work for me, because it kept getting banged around. When not being worn, a helmet with a mirror on it is an accident waiting to happen. There may be better designs now.

Instead, how about a mirror that attaches to glasses? I wear my shades with my mirror from Unicycle.com, and it works pretty good, except when the sun’s in front of me to my left, which it manages to be on both directions of my commute :frowning:

That mirror works well for me, though I need a different set of glasses to fit it better. Get glasses with more of a right angle between the lens area and the side thingies. I use my mirror glasses only for commuting, and different sunglasses for driving and other stuff.

I used a small mirror that attached to my riding glasses. Unicycle.com USA actually carries that mirror: Third Eye mirror.

I also had a small mirror that attached to my helmet. It was removable. I didn’t use it much though. I always rode with my riding glasses on because a bug in your eye at 20 mph is no fun.

I haven’t used my mirror while unicycling yet. I don’t ride on roads where it is really necessary.

I disagree. You survive because no one hits you. You can be completely aware and still get hit because a driver didn’t see you or simply swerved.
I can’t count the number of times I have looked in the rear-view mirror of my bike and dodged a car that I would have missed if I had ear phones on.

I disagree. As a motorcycle rider myself, my experience is that you have to be much more defensive on a motorcycle. All that speed you credit with safety, is the same speed that puts motorcycle riders in more dangerous situations, as well as dangerous road conditions (oil/water).
My mother had a single accident in the past 3 decades. She crossed the path of a motorcycle. I was in the car and didn’t see him coming either.

I don’t listen to music on the unicycle, but when I used to ride a road bike I found that music helped me stay energized, keep a good cadence, and keep my spirits up in the face of Kansas winds. Trucks have come within 2 feet of me without headphones.

My pet peeve (related to headphones) is when oncoming mountain bikers is fly around corners at 15+ miles an hour with loud headphones and no helmet. Under those circumstances they are a danger to me.