What is the answer right or left?

Ok was my friends feeling right about unicyclist being prodinently left handed?

Right Handed 69

left 11

Ambedextrious 6

South Paw (I don’t understand it either?) 1

I guess this does not show that much really, although there is a lot higher
number of Ambedextrious than people than expected and less left handed than is
norm. For those who asked whether my friend was right or left handed, she is a
juggler and is right handed.


Here is a synopsis of general comments:

… my left hand is probably stronger than it was due to juggling

Mostly right, but nearly ambidextrous now that I have been juggling for a
long time.

I’d like to know height and weight and see how they correlate with skill leval.
Also I wonder about the distribution of general skill.

it would be interesting, since you are going to get lots of messages from
various people, to ask them their profession and age, perhaps

I am right-handed. I don’t like the stereotype that only left-handed people do
interesing and creative things (like paint or ride a uni) because I consider
myself creative. :slight_smile: However, my dad is left-handed and can juggle and is
learning to ride a uni.

There is, if I remember right, an association between left-handedness and
professional baseball playing–about twice the rate in ballplayers than in the
general population, or something like that.


Handedness to dominent foot: About a third of the people responded with what
their dominent foot is. I have not collated the result because it is obvious
that people catagorised what is people doninent foot differently. There is
definately quite a few people who are left footed but right handed. I have been
trying to talk to my ergonimist consultant friend to ask how common this is but
he is away at the moment; so I will post his comments when I get in touch with
him. At the juggling club last tuesday we were discussing this and Peggy tested
to see if I was left or right footed. She sneeked up behind me and pushed me
over: the foot I put forward she claimed would be my true “handed” foot. It is
clear that people put either their dominent or non-dominent on the pedal to
start and that the dominent foot is not necesary their true “handed” foot. My
theory on this is that it depends on how people first learn to mount either
a) ride backwards 90deg befor they go forwards.
b) ride forwards streight away. I have no evidence to prove this though.

Here are some of the comments about donent foot:

Which is your dominant foot? I’m curious to know if most people are dominant on
the same side as their dominant hand, or opposite. Your dominant foot is the one
you mount with, goin on the pedal first.

But what about favourite foot? I idle with left foot down for reference, but
kick a ball with my right foot. Sarah however uses the right for both - can’t
tell you about her handedness really tho’ I think it is right.

> Your dominant foot is the one you mount with, goin on the pedal first.
Not for everyone. I always put my non-dominant (submissive?) foot on the pedal
so that my dominant foot lands on the forward pedal and I’m ready to go. The
wheel (and pedals) don’t move - none of this “move the wheel backwards to bring
the pedal up” malarky.

Cheers

Roger

          ----------------------------------------------------
                       Roger.Davies@Octacon.co.uk
                      Stockton, North East England

Re: What is the answer right or left?

At 10:01 AM 12/12/1998 +0000, Roger Davies wrote:
>Ok was my friends feeling right about unicyclist being prodinently left handed?
>
>Right Handed 69
>
>left 11
>
>Ambedextrious 6
>
>South Paw (I don’t understand it either?)

As I am sure 2,000 persons (1875 Right handed and 125 lefthanded) will tell you,
southpaw in the USA is lefthanded.

My guess is that the high number of ambidextrous is because not all of them
really are. The term ambidextrous means been able to do it both righthanded and
lefthanded. There are many persons that can do one thing lefthanded and the
other righthanded, but none really both ways.

As far as unicycling, most skillful unicycling are both. They might have a
favorite side, but can really do many skills both ways.

>1
>
>I guess this does not show that much really, although there is a lot higher
>number of Ambedextrious than people than expected and less left handed than is
>norm. For those who asked whether my friend was right or left handed, she is a
>juggler and is right handed.
>
>---------------------------------------------------
>Here is a synopsis of general comments:
>
>… my left hand is probably stronger than it was due to juggling
>
>Mostly right, but nearly ambidextrous now that I have been juggling for a
>long time.
>
>I’d like to know height and weight and see how they correlate with skill leval.
>Also I wonder about the distribution of general skill.
>
>it would be interesting, since you are going to get lots of messages from
>various people, to ask them their profession and age, perhaps
>
>I am right-handed. I don’t like the stereotype that only left-handed people do
>interesing and creative things (like paint or ride a uni) because I consider
>myself creative. However, my dad is left-handed and can juggle and is
>learning to ride a uni.
>
>There is, if I remember right, an association between left-handedness and
>professional baseball playing–about twice the rate in ballplayers than in the
>general population, or something like that.
>
>--------------------------------------------
>Handedness to dominent foot: About a third of the people responded with what
>their dominent foot is. I have not collated the result because it is obvious
>that people catagorised what is people doninent foot differently. There is
>definately quite a few people who are left footed but right handed. I have been
>trying to talk to my ergonimist consultant friend to ask how common this is but
>he is away at the moment; so I will post his comments when I get in touch with
>him. At the juggling club last tuesday we were discussing this and Peggy tested
>to see if I was left or right footed. She sneeked up behind me and pushed me
>over: the foot I put forward she claimed would be my true “handed” foot. It is
>clear that people put either their dominent or non-dominent on the pedal to
>start and that the dominent foot is not necesary their true “handed” foot. My
>theory on this is that it depends on how people first learn to mount either
>a) ride backwards 90deg befor they go forwards.
>b) ride forwards streight away. I have no evidence to prove this though.
>------------------------------------------------
>Here are some of the comments about donent foot:
>
>
>Which is your dominant foot? I’m curious to know if most people are dominant on
>the same side as their dominant hand, or opposite. Your dominant foot is the
>one you mount with, goin on the pedal first.
>
>But what about favourite foot? I idle with left foot down for reference, but
>kick a ball with my right foot. Sarah however uses the right for both - can’t
>tell you about her handedness really tho’ I think it is right.
>
>> Your dominant foot is the one you mount with, goin on the pedal first.
>Not for everyone. I always put my non-dominant (submissive?) foot on the pedal
>so that my dominant foot lands on the forward pedal and I’m ready to go. The
>wheel (and pedals) don’t move - none of this "move the wheel backwards to bring
>the pedal up" malarky.
>
>
>
>Cheers
>
>Roger
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------
> Roger.Davies@Octacon.co.uk
> Stockton, North East England
>----------------------------------------------------
>
>
Alberto Ruiz ruizb@coqui.net

Re: What is the answer right or left?

In a message dated 12/12/98 2:49:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ruizb@coqui.net writes:

<< >
>South Paw (I don’t understand it either?)
>>

Sorry, that was me. “Southpaw” is an American colloquialism for left- handed.

-Mike UniChef@aol.com http://members.aol.com/UniChef/unichef.html

RE: What is the answer right or left?

> unicycling I’ve asked them right at the beginning to stand on one foot and
> used the one that they naturally chose to stand on as an indication of which
> foot they should stand on (and therefore which they

> anything though. Any ideas if this has any validity as a test of dominance?

Probably not too accurate because the person has to decide consciously which
foot to use.

This makes me wonder if I started learning the unicycle with my right foot
because I was right handed, or because that foot naturally wanted to be there.

The ‘pushing from behind’ method is probably closer to finding the actual
dominant foot, but is still not very scientific. Anyone have advice from
other sports?

jf

Re: What is the answer right or left?

I just tell my students to start with one foot. After a few tries they figure
out for themselves which foot feels best for them.

(I am right handed and footed in all things yet I idle, mount and ride 1 footed
with my left foot)

Wayne van Wijk wvanwijk@gil.com.au


Sorry, I couldn’t think of anything quotable.

RE: What is the answer right or left?

> South Paw (I don’t understand it either?) 1

You have to be facing west.

jf

RE: What is the answer right or left?

Thanks Roger for collecting interesting data on dominance among “circus
artists”. It would be interesting someday to do a more thorough survey, covering
some of the other parameters people suggested.

I believe the high number of people who responded ambidextrious was because most
of us are circus artists to one degree or another, and not “normal”.

“Ambedextrious” is a laymen’s term, and people have different perceived
definitions of what it means. As a juggling teacher (I worked with several
hundred thousand kids over the years), you get to see a lot of examples of
dominance. Some beginning jugglers are so dominant on one side they can’t get
the other side to do anything. The opposite are the kids who don’t even know
which is their dominant hand. They would fall into the ambidextrious category,
though that usually translates for us (juggling teachers) as a “lack of
dominance”, not equal dominance on both sides. In other words, being
ambidextrious, for some people, is like the equivalent of an average person
having two left hands.

As jugglers, people have to travel down the road of “hemispheric equality”.
That’s some teacher gibberish I just made up, to refer to the brain’s two
hemispheres. We have to force our non-dominant side to keep up, to where for
some people both sides may even seem equally skilled.

Having a dominant side is normal. And that dominant side will usually always be
better at the skills it does, given equal practice on both sides. I know, a lot
of us are not “normal”.

I agree with the person who reminded us that right handed people can be
creative. At least this right hander/footer would like to believe so! But if you
look at artists and creative people in general, you will find a very
disproportionate number of left handers there. The reason this is true for
baseball players is I think because lefties are harder to pitch to.

Sorry we didn’t have a better definition of dominance for feet. I didn’t
realize some people mount with their non-dominant foot. I would have described
it as the foot you use for one footed riding or idling, but that would cut out
too many people. I’m still curious to know if there’s any correlation between
the hands and feet.

Stay on top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone


jfoss@unicycling.com http://www.calweb.com/~unifoss/

coming soon: www.unicycling.com

> -----Original Message----- From: owner-unicycling@winternet.com
> [mailto:owner-unicycling@winternet.com]On Behalf Of Roger Davies Sent:
> Saturday, December 12, 1998 2:01 AM To: unicycling@winternet.com Subject: What
> is the answer right or left?
>
>
> Ok was my friends feeling right about unicyclist being prodinently
> left handed?
>
> Right Handed 69
>
> left 11
>
> Ambedextrious 6
>
> South Paw (I don’t understand it either?) 1
>
> I guess this does not show that much really, although there is a lot higher
> number of Ambedextrious than people than expected and less left handed than is
> norm. For those who asked whether my friend was right or left handed, she is a
> juggler and is right handed.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------
> Here is a synopsis of general comments:
>
> … my left hand is probably stronger than it was due to juggling
>
> Mostly right, but nearly ambidextrous now that I have been juggling for a
> long time.
>
> I’d like to know height and weight and see how they correlate with skill
> leval. Also I wonder about the distribution of general skill.
>
> it would be interesting, since you are going to get lots of messages from
> various people, to ask them their profession and age, perhaps
>
> I am right-handed. I don’t like the stereotype that only left-handed people do
> interesing and creative things (like paint or ride a uni) because I consider
> myself creative. However, my dad is left-handed and can juggle and is
> learning to ride a uni.
>
> There is, if I remember right, an association between left-handedness and
> professional baseball playing–about twice the rate in ballplayers than in the
> general population, or something like that.
>
> --------------------------------------------
> Handedness to dominent foot: About a third of the people responded with what
> their dominent foot is. I have not collated the result because it is obvious
> that people catagorised what is people doninent foot differently. There is
> definately quite a few people who are left footed but right handed. I have
> been trying to talk to my ergonimist consultant friend to ask how common this
> is but he is away at the moment; so I will post his comments when I get in
> touch with him. At the juggling club last tuesday we were discussing this and
> Peggy tested to see if I was left or right footed. She sneeked up behind me
> and pushed me over: the foot I put forward she claimed would be my true
> “handed” foot. It is clear that people put either their dominent or
> non-dominent on the pedal to start and that the dominent foot is not necesary
> their true “handed” foot. My theory on this is that it depends on how people
> first learn to mount either
> a) ride backwards 90deg befor they go forwards.
> b) ride forwards streight away. I have no evidence to prove this though.
> ------------------------------------------------
> Here are some of the comments about donent foot:
>
>
> Which is your dominant foot? I’m curious to know if most people are dominant
> on the same side as their dominant hand, or opposite. Your dominant foot is
> the one you mount with, goin on the pedal first.
>
> But what about favourite foot? I idle with left foot down for reference, but
> kick a ball with my right foot. Sarah however uses the right for both - can’t
> tell you about her handedness really tho’ I think it is right.
>
> > Your dominant foot is the one you mount with, goin on the
> pedal first. Not for everyone. I always put my non-dominant (submissive?) foot
> on the pedal so that my dominant foot lands on the forward pedal and I’m ready
> to go. The wheel (and pedals) don’t move - none of this "move the wheel
> backwards to bring the pedal up" malarky.
>
>
>
> Cheers
>
> Roger
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------
> Roger.Davies@Octacon.co.uk
> Stockton, North East England
> ----------------------------------------------------

RE: What is the answer right or left?

On the extremely few occasions that I’ve taught people the beginnings of
unicycling I’ve asked them right at the beginning to stand on one foot and used
the one that they naturally chose to stand on as an indication of which foot
they should stand on (and therefore which they should put on the pedal) when
they got onto the uni. I guess that’s kind of an indication of dominance. I
can’t actually recall where I got it from in the first place. It has to be
without the person thinking that which foot they choose means anything though.
Any ideas if this has any validity as a test of dominance?

Anne. <anne@vision.net.nz> UIN:2498875 “We act as though comfort and luxury were
the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is
something to be enthusiastic about.” --Charles Kingsley

Re: What is the answer right or left?

> On the extremely few occasions that I’ve taught people the beginnings of
> unicycling I’ve asked them right at the beginning to stand on one foot and
> used the one that they naturally chose to stand on as an indication of which
> foot they should stand on (and therefore which they should put on the pedal)
> when they got onto the uni. I guess that’s kind of an indication of dominance.
> I can’t actually recall where I got it from in the first place. It has to be
> without the person thinking that which foot they choose means anything though.
> Any ideas if this has any validity as a test of dominance?
>

It wouldn’t work for me, but that is because of another left-right foot
dominance question I’ve always wondered about. My right leg is more coordinated,
but my left leg is stronger. For that reason, I stand on my left foot when I
stand one-footed, but I put my right foot on the pedals first. I can mount
left-footed, but not nearly as gracefully.

My test is to ask people which foot they kick with if playing kickball. So far
people seem to remember playing kickball. I’d say soccer, but like in
unicycling, you are supposed to be ambidextrous in soccer.

Beirne