What invention-ideas can you suggest for unicycling?

Wow, 4umfreaks link shows the real answer

Hopefully you don’t have to buy 2 pairs just to get 2 receivers, but that looks to be a must for anyone who uses dual hole cranks. It looks to be as fast and easy as changing an air tool.

That’s interesting. Although the pedals themselves don’t look very grippy. But the system could be used for something more suitable for muni.

leaving a second, unused receiver in would be a nightmare - if you’re lucky and it doesn’t get in the way of the pedal, then it would get in the way of your foot unless you only used the outer edge.
Nice idea, but destined to be a failure: unless you have modified, flush receivers and custom cranks to fit (the hole would need to be oversized for enough strength of the male/female connection)

That’s why I suggested it to be “built-in”. If the collar bit is internal to the crank and the pedal is held in place with a user removable split-pin of sorts that is pushed through the crank.

We already have custom cranks, with two sets of holes - that’s not the issue.

Give me multi-hole cranks with mated pedals that I can swap without tools and we may have something.

-M

invention for lazy git

i would like am assisted motorised hub for muni, so i can ride up easy, and keep practising my downhill technique

also would like geared hub that is geared less than 1:1 for going up very steep muni hills

Hmmm, good point. If one is using the short crank hole, that receiver nub has to fly by your foot.

None the less, remember that both pedals are set out from the cranks the same receiver width. Maybe smacking your foot on the nub won’t matter in street riding, whereas I can see it being a real hazard in muni.

Still, on a street 36, to be able to switch holes tool less in a few seconds would be awesome.

This is a fun thread to revive.

Of the ideas suggested, we have had (in 12 years) the following, either made commercially, or prototyped to a rideable stage:

Commercial:

• A disk brake compatible hub in 32 and 36 hole.
  • Quick release bearing cap (but only on a small number of unicycles - it’d be nice to see this revisited)
  • A better seat (many)

Prototype:

• A Continuous variable transmission (Justin used a NuVinci hub with chain drive on a unicycle)
  • A collapsible wheel (kind of - there have been a couple of wheels that come apart)
  • Assisted motorised hub (Justin to our rescue again here)

So, what ideas have we got for the next decade?

I’d still like to see a geared hub with more than two gears, and a switchable fixed/freewheel hub.

5 Likes

After my cold ride this morning I thought that a pair of heated grips for my handlebars would be nice.

Make them to be a battery bank as well as being able to produce heat. (although I would pay for just the heater option even without the battery bank to keep the product cleaner and tougher)
90% of the grip would heat and the 10% on the end would have some sort of impact protection.

Can somebody please make these for me?

1 Like

They make these for motorcycles, but I imagine they’re all designed to run on 12V (although USB PD can do 12v if you have a suitable battery bank and controller).

I’d love something that can gently help me pedal on uphill muni tracks or anything too steep for my legs. The opposite to a brake.

Definitely not a problem where I live (Sydney Australia). I bought Winter bicycling gloves a few years back from Aldi Germany. They are much too warm to wear here. Right now, it’s spring and I am basically avoiding the middle of the day for planned rides. It either needs to be later afternoon or morning.

YES!!! may be I am too old for road riding :wink: but assisted cranks (like those on my e-bike) will help me a lot (for instance uphill).
I dream of a E-32" … I do not need to ride like mad just a little help from my e-hub !
Justin: help! (I am even willing to invest in a prototype).

1 Like

@Justin_LE, what happened to your geared assisted prototype? Do you still ride it, or has it been cannibalised for parts?

1 Like

It’s not really an “invention”, but what I think should evolve most is handlebar/seat setups. All other parts of unicycles are pretty good nowadays, but the ergonomics are still wonky - I hope in 15 years we look back at the current solutions in the same way mountainbikers look at the old geometries and tiny bikes of the past now.

A dropper post strong enough for unicycles would be nice for cross country/enduro-ish riding. It would unfortunately need to be a comletely different design to bike dropper posts, since those usually are not good for getting pulled on.

1 Like

Not saying anything’s incorrect with this statement, but I’m wondering what you mean here. The adjustability of something like the KH T-bar gives a lot of options for ergonomics, and saddles do seem like they’ve got rather good now.

I have issues with my legs rubbing or hitting on the frame (24, 27.5 and 36er) or tyres (27.5, 36er). I know if I hop on my KH24, my leg rubs the frame too. Also my inside leg hits the brake or bag under the seat (29er). With enough hitting of the brake I end up with a thigh bruise. I’ve even worn holes in thick leggings from a single ride due to friction with the bag zipper. The bag is narrow by the way, designed for a bike frame.

Maybe I need a hatchet frame for all these frame issues, and not even to put in fat tyres…

Pics from KH24

I would love if we could make them lighter. The Mad4One handle saddle is both light and strong, but lacks adjustability.

1 Like

Height and position of the bar itself, yes. Brake placement - no, it’s almost always akward in one way or the other. I guess I should be a bit more specific, I’m thinking mostly in terms of muni and there nothing has really been amazing yet in my eyes. Better and better, but nothing where I’m not wondering if it it could be done better.
One of the problems is of course having to use brakes designed for bike, so it’s not an easy one to fix.

They still weigh a ton, because (putting the handle saddle aside) we are still asking essentially a flat plate to take all the forces from handles. I’m not saying I know the right solution, but right now saddles are compromised to be beginner friendly, good for tricks and comfortable riding around without a handle, but they are also the same ones used with a handlebar. I don’t think that can be achieved all at the same time.
It’s hard to make bold changes there, because very few people would buy something very radically different.

1 Like

I have issues with brake placement too.

For my M4O saddle handle (short), that’s all good. Brake makes sense in the loop.
But for my unicycles with T bars, I have the brake near the T bar. But going downhill off-road I’d generally prefer to have my hand on the seat handle.
And if I hold the t-bar, my reach for the brake is funny, or I can hold using the t-bar stem, but that’s a bit weird too. Don’t really know what to do to make this good. I suppose I could put my brake under the seat, but then I’d need to engineer something for when there is a Tbar stem or setup in the way.

I wish they’d supply it with a stubby bar end like so:

5 Likes

This sort of thing would work for me.

1 Like