What I learned today?

I went for a ride for a mile or so on my 24" and then rode into the garage and decided to do a longer ride but on the 360/Coker and this is where I think I learned something…
I guess my legs were use to the 24" so when I hopped on the 360 the legs were not working properly cause my feet and the pedals were not moning together and bailed forward HARD and
I THINK I BROKE MY FIRETRUCKIN WRIST
Is this just me?

That happens to me when I switch between sizes. I just ride one size (20") usually now, because I was sick of getting out of tune on one.

Re: What I learned today?

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:47:07 -0500, “Spudman” wrote:

>That happens to me when I switch between sizes. I just ride one size
>(20") usually now, because I was sick of getting out of tune on one.

Never switching is a (read: aye) solution. The opposite approach is
switching A LOT, and it’s more fun in the end.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“Unicycling is like glue: you have to stick with it, and it’s not to be sniffed at - Mikefule”

At first switching from a smaller uni like a 20" or 24" and then immediately getting on the Coker will be awkward. It also works the other way. Riding around on the Coker and then immediately trying to ride a smaller uni will be awkward. With practice the switch will become easier and eventually almost a non-issue.

When I first started riding the Coker I had great fun doing the switch. I’d ride a small uni around then immediately get on the Coker then switch back to the small uni. It was all fun and quite an experience learning to adjust. Now I’ve learned to adjust and the game of switcheroo is no longer the novel experience that it used to be.

But yes, when you are not used to it the game of switcheroo can result in some clumsy and unexpected falls.

Switcheroo!

Surely you’ve just invented a new uni discipline/event John!?

I see an event akin to the individual medley in swimming: you start the race on a 20", change to a Coker, then to a 24", and finish on a giraffe!

Or for longer distances: couple of miles on a 24" muni offroad, then more miles on a Coker, finished by umpteen circuits of an indoor track on a 20"!

I suppose you could do it all indoors, and add in a short set of trials as one component, or at a skate park and include rolling trials.

The main element would be switching uni sizes during the race.

Any takers?

Owies (was Re: What I learned today?)

sympathies!

how’s it feel now?

RICE, baby, RICE. I’m also a big fan of buffered aspirin, stat.

Of course, the earlier one treats a sprain, the better – and the difference in longitudinal outcome (recovery time and quality) is profound. So too does the manner of splinting and wrapping, i.e. horseshoe or donut pads around the ankle when wrapping. I was reading up on ankle injuries this week and got a lot of good food for thought from some sportsmedicine and osteopathic sites.

I’ve been writing and deleting unsent versions of the following for at least six months…

Daytripper’s post is probably the 100th submission to describe a UPD-related injury (or near injury) in the year i’ve been here. Such are the risks of the sport, no problem.

But it’s given me cause to wonder about first aid. For lacerations we clean, disenfect and live with our scabs of honor, and maybe limp off to the hospital.

For broken bones we blissfully await the ambulance, unless we’re REALLY lucky and get the helicopter.

But what do we do about connective and soft tissue injuries? Severe sprains

I touched this very very tangentially, by inference, a couple of days ago with my sixsixone + T2 post, which fell on dead ground, probably because it didn’t include any context.

Broken bones while greatly painful, and possibly even life threatening, heal well, with fairly transparent outcome. But soft tissue injuries – sprains, severe sprains, contusions etc, can leave us with long-term disfunction, joint weakness, and, from my amateurish reading, it seems that the immediate response first aide is probably more important to outcome in soft tissue injuries than with bone injuries.

i’ve personally, already experienced two dorsiflex ankle (foot jammed upwards) events from rearward UPDs, both of which were in the “close call” zone.

My riding profile is such that most of my riding is at least a mile++ away from home, at least 1/2 mile from the nearest house and alone on rail to trail paths during nonpeak useage hours. IOW i can’t count on a passing stranger, or a neighbor for help; if (when) i go down, i’m pretty much all alone.

Thus: what recommended first aide supplies might one recommend for a unicyclist? What reference material? How many of us actually carry first aid supplies for joint and soft tissue injuries?

I’m thinking: ace bandage or two, a couple of foam horseshoes, one or two instant ice packs and a few buffered aspirin. Maybe an airsplint?? An emergency-use cell phone?

But then the question becomes – how to strike a balance? I can’t tow a Ski Patrol sledge behind me. How to balance prudence and foresight with practicality?

It’s not so much that i’m paranoid of getting hurt (wouldn’t be riding if i was); but being an ex-submariner and ex-boy scout it shouldn’t be surprising that I’m a bit of a preparedness freak; my paranoia is of being unable to take care of myself if needs be, and of suffering a prolonged, unsatisfactory recovery as a result.

i’ve had way too much coffee this morning…

.max