What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

After reading the post on Gels vs. bars, I wanted to know what foods in detail are riders taking with them on rides.

From reading the Gels thread, it seems that people are just consuming power bars - and water and maybe some fruit and gels for a boost.

Could riders contribute more details and share their menus, please?

Scenerio:
Let’s assume it is for a 4 to 5 hour ride over moderate to hilly terrain. Temperature is 80 degrees. Lets work with the time riding vs. mileage, since riders ride at different speeds. Consider also stopping for a 20 minute break for lunch, if possible.

Work the maze.

Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

Luna bars and water.

—Nathan

“The Munieer” <The.Munieer.9pz2z@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:The.Munieer.9pz2z@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> After reading the post on Gels vs. bars, I wanted to know what foods in
> detail are riders taking with them on rides.
>
> From reading the Gels thread, it seems that people are just consuming
> power bars - and water and maybe some fruit and gels for a boost.
>
> Could riders contribute more details and share their menus, please?
>
> Scenerio:
> Let’s assume it is for a 4 to 5 hour ride over moderate to hilly
> terrain. Temperature is 80 degrees. Lets work with the time riding vs.
> mileage, since riders ride at different speeds. Consider also stopping
> for a 20 minute break for lunch, if possible.

Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

> Could riders contribute more details and share their menus, please?

Definitely not a deli-sandwich drowned in a quart of chocolate milk.
This ambitious lunch totally spoiled the RatPac trail for me :-(. I felt
ill for ages and walked most of the trail <grrr>.

I generally survive on water, chocolate biscuits (graciously supplied by Mr.
Wiggins), a little fruit (graciously supplied by Mr. Himsworth), and the
occasional pub lunch. I don’t generally hold with all these bars and gels
made from toxic waste. I’d prefer to burn the excess I’m already carrying,
though sadly that doesn’t seem to work out in practice.

Arnold the Aardvark

I think I’ve only been on one ride where I’ve actually taken food, with the aforementioned Aardvark. Apples are good… they don’t melt, they don’t get squashed (or if they do, it’s not the apples I’m concerned about any more) and are, well, quite nice, really…

Phil, just me

The gels I mentioned loving…are only in races and the likes. No sense in a fun ride costing me 6-8 bucks in supplements. Apparently bananas are the magical food to take. I bring an apple or two as I hate bananas. The chill nicely in the water compartment ,topped up with ice, in the camelback.

My longest ride has been 3 hours. Anything longer, and I’d probably bring a little baggie of trail mix. Dehydrated things, nuts, berriers. You can buy them from bulk stores. I ate those on several endurance
!!!MOUNTAIN BICYCLE!!! rides and it sure tides you over.

On that note, and touched on memory, I’m heading out to get some trail mix! :smiley:

Trail mix does sound inviting right now, I might stop at a health store myself today and pick some up myself.

Am I the only one who takes sushi on long rides?

Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

I find the most important part of a ride is to keep hydrated. I like to
bring a water bottle and a couple disposable orange juices. I don’t ever
bring food becuase I like to have nice meal and a beer when all the
riding is done.

Cheers,

Jason

The Munieer wrote:
>
> After reading the post on Gels vs. bars, I wanted to know what foods in
> detail are riders taking with them on rides.
>
> From reading the Gels thread, it seems that people are just consuming
> power bars - and water and maybe some fruit and gels for a boost.
>
> Could riders contribute more details and share their menus, please?
>
> Scenerio:
> Let’s assume it is for a 4 to 5 hour ride over moderate to hilly
> terrain. Temperature is 80 degrees. Lets work with the time riding vs.
> mileage, since riders ride at different speeds. Consider also stopping
> for a 20 minute break for lunch, if possible.
>

What about eating before the ride. When I go out to MUni on saturdays (about 7 miles, I think), I like to get a nice big Boston Market meal (US restaurant chain - roast turkey, mashed potatoes and such). Sometimes I get lightheaded when I haven’t eaten, which is something I really want to avoid while riding, but sometimes I feel like I’ve eaten too much too soon before riding after Boston Market. What do you guys do?

Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

Arnold the Aardvark wrote:
> I generally survive on water, chocolate biscuits (graciously supplied by
Mr.
> Wiggins), a little fruit (graciously supplied by Mr. Himsworth), and the
> occasional pub lunch.

The one thing that needs to be added to that list is jelly babies.


Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/
There are 10 kinds of people in this world:

  1. Those who can count in binary; 10. Those who can’t.

PB&J baby!!!

and yes, i have been known to make a nice tuna maki for the trip/ride/whatever else-- keeping the soy sauce safe if the biggest trouble, that and if the fish overheats in the summer…i like my sushi at 72-75 degrees, so middle of the summer is out of the question

for a muni ride i’d take some of those fruit to go or whatever there called, and some water. i find that powerade bottles are good, because they have something in the bottle cap, so you cau hold it upside down and it won’t come out

Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

In article <The.Munieer.9pz2z@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
The Munieer <The.Munieer.9pz2z@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Scenerio:
)Let’s assume it is for a 4 to 5 hour ride over moderate to hilly
)terrain. Temperature is 80 degrees. Lets work with the time riding vs.
)mileage, since riders ride at different speeds. Consider also stopping
)for a 20 minute break for lunch, if possible.

I usually don’t do lunch when I’m exercising. For a 4-5 hour ride, I’ll
bring a 70 oz. CamelBak with iced water, expecting to refill it once during
the ride. I’ll also bring either two or three PowerBar-like substances;
usually a couple Clif bars and a PowerBar Harvest. If I happen to be
going by a store on the ride, sometimes I’ll stop in and get something,
usually a lemonade and some cookies, sometimes something salty if I’m
getting to the point where water doesn’t taste good anymore.

This is probably not the formula for optimum performance, but I don’t really
care.
-Tom

Re: Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

Sir, we ride on ONE WHEEL. Carry on.

This is a little off the muni subject but can be used as a comparison. Today I rode my Coker a tad over 50 miles in 4 hours and 7 minutes, without a dismount. Average speed was a little over 12 MPH, over mostly flat terrain. Intensity was moderate, so I burned a bunch of fat. The temperature was in the 70’s. I drank 4 large water bottles full of plain water. I ate 1 banana before the ride, and 2 more during.

Indecently, by saying “without a dismount”, I mean never stopping, AlWAYS pedaling. Some people have leaned up against a tree to eat, or urinate, and still consider the ride performed “without a dismount”. I disagree with those kinds of claims.

Finally, muniing over moderate to steep hills for 3 hours is going to be more intense, therefore requiring a higher caloric intake in order to replenish glycogen stores. Because my ride was fairly moderate, I could get a way with burning a bunch of fat. I suggest experimenting with a variety of carbohydrate based foods and see what works best for you. Everyone will be different

dan

I’d bring a couple of cliff bars, maybe some trail mix and if I could get a coke along the way that would be great.

Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

Wow, 50 miles at over 12MPH is great. I agree completely with you about
dismounts and higher intensity on Muni rides, but Muni on Coker, now that’s
really intense!

—Nathan

“dan” <dan.9regy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:dan.9regy@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> This is a little off the muni subject but can be used as a comparison.
> Today I rode my Coker a tad over 50 miles in 4 hours and 7 minutes,
> without a dismount. Average speed was a little over 12 MPH, over mostly
> flat terrain. Intensity was moderate, so I burned a bunch of fat. The
> temperature was in the 70’s. I drank 4 large water bottles full of
> plain water. I ate 1 banana before the ride, and 2 more during.
>
> Indecently, by saying “without a dismount”, I mean never stopping,
> AlWAYS pedaling. Some people have leaned up against a tree to eat, or
> urinate, and still consider the ride performed “without a dismount”. I
> disagree with those kinds of claims.
>
> Finally, muniing over moderate to steep hills for 3 hours is going to be
> more intense, therefore requiring a higher caloric intake in order to
> replenish glycogen stores. Because my ride was fairly moderate, I could
> get a way with burning a bunch of fat. I suggest experimenting with a
> variety of carbohydrate based foods and see what works best for you.
> Everyone will be different
>
>
> dan

You could always take some Go-Gurt, that yogurt that comes in a squeeze tube and have someone film you; who knows, maybe you could end up in a commercial if you send the film in. But that stuff is pretty good anyway, so it might be good on a Muni ride.

Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

> Let’s assume it is for a 4 to 5 hour ride over moderate to hilly
> terrain. Temperature is 90 degrees. Let’s work with the time riding vs.
> mileage, since riders ride at different speeds. Consider also stopping
> for a 20 minute break for lunch, if possible.

Big Camelback full of water, maybe spiked with a liter of Powerade. Thermos
full of rocket fuel (15 oz. can of black beans with jalapenos, 10 or 26 oz.
can of Rotel, 10 oz. box of frozen corn, heated to bubbling on the stovetop)
in the backpack part for lunch. Other Thermos foods: mix low-fat cottage
cheese with a can of crushed pineapple. Mix a quart of low-fat yogurt with
a pint of salsa, 8 cups of cooked brown rice, and a couple of cans of black
beans. Fill a Thermos to the top first with Cheerios then with skim milk.

Re: What foods to eat on a MUni ride?

> What about eating before the ride. When I go out to MUni on Saturdays
> (about 7 miles, I think), I like to get a nice big Boston Market meal
> (US restaurant chain - roast turkey, mashed potatoes and such).
> Sometimes I get lightheaded when I haven’t eaten, which is something I
> really want to avoid while riding, but sometimes I feel like I’ve eaten
> too much too soon before riding after Boston Market. What do you guys
> do?

Big bowl (rice bowl) full of cereal and skim milk. Raisin Nut Bran or
Cheerios, usually.