What fender are you using?

I’ve seen some references to Topeak Defender as a good choice. Any others that I’ve missed? Has anyone adapted a front fender designed to insert into the bottom hole of a bike’s fork stem? I’m on a 36" Nightrider. Thanks.

I have de same concern and Geoff from Australia recommand me to use a Zefal Swan Plus to be fitted on the seat post or directly on the frame (this fender is compatible up to 32mm).

http://www.zefal.com/zefal/produit.php?key=248500&www=an&PHPSESSID=8758363b6398e294a929a318c5efd29a

This fender has 2 joints to be adjusted close to the tire

SKS X Blade MTB Mudguard
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks/x-blade-mtb-mudguard-ec005804

Perfect for my 26" and 29". Simple to attach and detach from the seat post (no tools needed), easy to adjust, durable. Don’t know how well it works for larger wheels though, when I bought my X Blade it was specified for 26"-29" (and works well with wide tires).

Zefal XXT Rear Mudguard on the 29"

Nice and wide, stops all the muck but does not follow the contour of the wheel, I have not found this to be an issue. Withstands UPDs by folding up or detatching itself on rough UPDs (not sure if its meant to do that :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thanks for the input. They all look pretty similar - seatpost mount for easy on, easy off.

I’m pretty sure you attach these to the seat tube, not seat post, unless it’s for a bike. :slight_smile:

Good point. I was using the term loosely to simply mean “that vertical thingy that attaches the seat to the wheel part” :slight_smile: Thanks for including the pic - that looks like a nice fender. I’ll visit the LBS this week, as the snow here has been frozen at night and sloppy wet during the day.

I chose a model with as few joints as possible in the hopes that it would survive riding (read: UPDs) longer. It doesn´t follow the contour of the wheel at all but seems to do its job in terms of keeping my lower back free from mud.

The name of the fender is SKS X Tra Dry X3

My backside.

I have done this and posted images on this page

I have set the front mudguard (fender) close enough to the tyre to catch stones and knock them out of the tread on each revolution of the wheel. Its seems to work before the stones have time to be pushed deeper into the tread. Bicycles used to have stone catchers like a wire framework - dont know if they are still available.

There are generic fenders for bicycles that can be fitted to most bicycle frames. These closed and head to the road spray up the wheels, enabling the pilot to remain relatively clean. They are relatively rare in the car-dependent countries, bicycles speaks English, such as bicycles these countries is generally oriented to sports, where the minimum distance from the tire tubes and the body defenses, or only clement mounted on circumstances, although there are guards that are designed to be attached to the seat post.

When I owned a Nighrider I skipped the bracket and just mounted the corrugated plastic to the twin hoops via cable ties. The current owner of that uni is still using it 5 years later.

The post that resurrected this thread seems suspicious but whatever. I’ve been using a Zefal Deflector RM 60 for over a year. It goes on and off without tools but stays on my 36er full time. It’s has a single adjustment pivot so it’s flexible enough to fit the wheel closely but not so much as to be flimsy. It is sturdy and holds its position while riding, yet will move if it hits the ground so as not to break.

In the 15 months I’ve ridden with it, it’s kept me drier and cleaner and whether riding on or off-road hasn’t needed any attention other than the occasional quick re-adjustment after a UPD.

But I was already curious about this so it’s actually kind of nice. :stuck_out_tongue:

That looks pretty nice and it’s cheap (~20), if I ever get a fender, this one is a likely candidate.

unigoat’s is cool. I always love good ghetto mods. And pretty soon there will be tons of raw materials showing up on the side of the road here in the US. Hmm, I bet this corregated plastic would work pretty well for lining rock beds as well.

I use a Telecaster.

Deluxe Reverb amplifier. :slight_smile:

I was planning to make a homemade mudguard as described in the vid posted earlier in this thread. I found the sign and plastic tubbing.

Turned out rain was faster than me.
This morning, I was about to leave for work when I saw the road was wet (meaning a very dirty backpack/pants/back without a mudguard).

Then, I improvised a quick mudguard, McGiver style with scissors and cable ties. It took me 10 minutes and it litterally “got my back” clean.
I will see how long it lasts and go for the “clean” version like in the vid.

Picked up a front + back mudguard from Amazon for a bank-breaking £3 (Plus 99p shipping) I love the unicycle-matching colours! I hacked the front one on using what I think is a reflector mount… I’m not 100% sure, I found it in the spares box… I’m not 100% sure why the mudguards have big holes down the side, but it doesn’t seem to stop them working :smiley: