What age did you buy your first uni?

I bought my first uni just a few months shy of my 50th birthday. That was a little over 2 years ago and I’ve purchased 5 more since then :slight_smile:

Bought my first when I was about 17, a Sears piece of crap. Same year i bought a Schwinn girraffe. Then went dormant till last year. Started with a Nimbus Muni in September of '04, since then have aquired a Summit trials and have a Coker in the mail as we “speak”. Oh and i also picked up a used Schwinn 20" for my kids and did a splined wheelset upgrade for my Nimbus. I’m now 44.

Age at First Uni

I bought a 20" Schwinn with the last of my meager Bar Mitzvah money when I was 13. I have only had two periods over a few weeks when I haven’t ridden since then, 25 years ago. I stupidly spent a year in Oz sans uni, and I traveled thru Europe for 5 mos wheellessly, too. On that trip, however, I met a 7yo Danish girl who let me try hers for a sec.

My brother, John, got one as a gift when he was nearly 11, 24 years ago. He has never gone anywhere without his as far as I know. He sleeps with it under his pillow.

John and I got Schwinn giraffes as gifts a year afterwards. I still have mine (John sold his to a club member).

David Stone

I was 12.

I was fourteen and I am fourteen

I was given my first for christmas of 2003, a bit more than a year ago. I bought my own a little less than a year ago. I was 15 for both events.

I bought my first unicycle in March 2003 just after I turned 50. Since then, I have purchased 4 more.

I was 11 at the time, and i bought with my money that i was saving for about a year, but i didnt start practicing till i was 13, now im 14

Chase

I bought my first when I was 24, I then went on to purchase three more, two for my 18 year old sister

I bought my first unicycle from a bike shop when I was 26.

I bought my own unicycle with my own money when I was 12. It was a brand new Oxford 24". I got my first unicycle for my 11th birthday. It was a homemade, 20" Frankenstein version bought used at a bikeshop by my parents.

that doesnt mean youve only been unicycling a year though right? cuz man youre really good.

1. I did a quick scan of this poll and as far as I can tell I’m the 3rd oldest. Uniwitold clearly has me beat for oldest so far and I think Krashin’Kenny edged my out by a few months too. Let’s hear it for old dogs learning new tricks. yaaaaah:D

I got mine right before my 19th birthday I wish there was some cool story about it but theres not…

Hahah I got mine for my 18th birthday. At first people were like “you got a unicycle for your 18th birthday…”. Now people are like Tim youre awesome.

… and I am a good pole.

Ric Jablonski

I received an upgraded 24" United, “adult trainer,” in 2002 as a gift for my 44th birthday (that was the infamous, “torchlight,” parade during UNICON 11). Some day soon, I’m going to be able to ride it more than a few feet.