What about >3"?

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:53:31 -0600, johnfoss
<johnfoss.dguem@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote: (summary only)

>I think most of us, at least us “old timers,” started out on 1.75
(John seems to have skipped the 2.1")
>But when I got my DM ATU with 2.6" tire in 1999, the world changed.
>Until this year, I really didn’t
>think too much about how big a difference it would be from 2.6 to 3.0.
>But I found out for sure

So people what is the next step? Would there be a MUni market for 3.5"
or even 4" wide tyres?

Klaas Bil

I posted only a single copy of this message.

Klaas,

I remember seeing a kid at Unicon 11 at the Muni event that had a 4.5" tire or so. I looked like a tire from a wheelbarrow or something. It was on a 2" rim or so, so it wasn’t as wide as it could be. Also, the frame was hammered out to accomodate it. I don’t know that it gave him much advantage over anyone with a 3", but it was an impressive modification.

I think that 3" is pretty wide after riding on one for about a year. The treads on the edges of the tire want to catch on my legs occasionally (more at the beginning than now), so there may be a realistic physical limit. Even with a low profile frame (Hunter) one learns to ride with the knees out (rodeo style).

Riding curbs on a 3" is much easier than on a 2.6", and it’s a softer ride, so I’d be interested in seeing large-tire prototypes, but I’m not optimistic that we’re going to get larger.

-Erik

Hi,Klaas

i think that 3inch wide tires are fat enough for anything i wanted to do,but thats only me.

your question is a good one.personally the weight of a 4 inch wide tire would be enough for me to shy away from somthing like that.whats really funny to me is if the market happened to go that way,all of these off-road unicycles that can fit a 3.0 would be outdated.low and hi-end.

how wide can you go before we are pedaling bow-legged?:o)

i saw a picture im kaskade of a girrafe unicycle with the tyre from a light aircraft on it, of set to one side so the forks didn’t have to go around tthe tyre (there was only one “fork”) looked great but had to be ridden at an angle.

I have a 4and a bit inch motorbike rim and tyre which is now a uni. as soon as the frame is finished I’ll tell you how it rides.

If anyone else wants a Huge tyre e-mail me and I’ll run off some more frames while the jig is set up.

Re: What about >3"?

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:56:00 -0600, JoeRowing
<JoeRowing.djuqm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I have a 4and a bit inch motorbike rim and tyre which is now a uni. as
>soon as the frame is finished I’ll tell you how it rides.

What is your intended use? MUni? Sure I would be interested to know
how you like it. Do you have a 3" to compare it to?

My interest was spurred by the replies to Jason’s “Tire sizes for
MUni” post, most of which indicated how a 3" was a significant
improvement over a 2.6. I went from 1.75" to 3" myself which indeed
was way better for MUni.

Klaas Bil

I posted only a single copy of this message.

I’m going to use it for downhill muni - short cranks on it combined with heavy tyre = FAST ride :slight_smile:

Yes I have a 24x3 to compare it to.

The “real” size of the tyre is about 27inch but the rim is only 19. MMMMM BIG