Wet weather riding gear?

What type of riding gear are you wet weather riders wearing? and can you post links so I can see what your talking about.
Heck while were at it what cool weather gear as well
Thanks
Robert

I don’t tend to ride much when it’s raining, but for cold days, I usually just toss on a sweater, shin guards, gloves and a hat. If you’re putting the effort in to ride, usually you’ll be generating enough body heat to keep warm provided you cover the ‘hot spots’ on your body; head, back of knees, armpits, joints in general.

If it’s cold and windy I reccommend windproof clothing though. And perhaps a new face when you get back inside.

I don’t go in the rain, but in the cold:
I’ve got windproof cycling pants that I wear under my bike shorts.

On top I just bundle up in layers.

If It’s really cold I wear a turtle fur (a polar fleece ring that goes around the neck) and my snowboarding helmet, keeps my ears warm. Someone is going to post that sonwboarding helmets are designed for different impact stresses than cycling helmets, so I won’t go so far as to recommend that others do the same.

I have thin fleece gloves that I can wear under my wrist guards.

If it is raining I usually stick to road riding. Freestyle is next to impossible if it is raining. The entire unicycle becomes slippery and dangerous.
For road riding I use standard lightweight rain gear. Cycling rain gear is made for a less upright riding position, so I think the standard type is better. The light weight fabric is ok except in really heavy rain.
I also use waterproof boot covers like these.

The simple answer is to buy clothing made for bicyclists as their needs are very similar to ours. However, there is no perfect answer.

I find if I wear a Camelbak, I get a horrid sweaty patch in the middle of my back. The patch spreads and whatever I wear gets damp. If I wear a waterproof jacket, that creates condensation.

Best to wear shorts and get wet legs, rather than wear longs that are still soggy long after the rain has finished. However, in this country (UK), rain typically comes with cold, which means longs are a good idea. But if you wear waterproof overtrousers, you will slide all over the seat.

You need something to keep the rain out of your eyes too - even if it’s only a peak on your helmet.

The problem is, if you start off cold, you put too much gear on, you get too hot, then you daren’t stop or you’ll chill off very quickly. If you start cold and don’t put enough gear on, you’ll never get warm enough. The optimal level of insulation will vary according to more variables than you can accurately assess.

Therefore, logic and advice will not address the problem as well as experience will. My experience has led me to ensure the following:

Feet should be warm (good hiking socks that will still be warm when wet)
Legs generate their own warmth - if it’s too cold for that then it’s too cold to ride. I wear thin longs or thick fleecy longs, but that is the only variable.
Head - usually a helmet, but occasionally a hat.
Top: a T shirt or cycling shirt. Sometimes two layers. If it’s raining, then a thin waterproof top - but not to keep the water out: it’s to keep the wind out.

Better to be too warm than too cold.

P.S.

Remember, breathable clothing is a marketing myth. The only truly breathable garment is a string vest.

Also, think for a moment: there are 6 000 000 000 people in the world, and about 5 999 999 500 of them would never imagine that someone posted as a serious question, “What should I wear when I want to ride a unicycle in the rain?”:smiley:

I hit this issue this morning. I had planned a nice ride along some trackways (part of the Sustrans network) but the weather had other ideas. That was when I realised I don’t own any light, windproof jackets and I was about to get drenched and very cold in the sleet that was falling.

I abandoned things at the outset and came home, but feel bad that I didn’t get my ride in since I’m training to increase my distance and technique for some long rides.

This was the best thread I could find on this issue (hence the necro) so has anything changed in 7 years, or do I just need to hit up some kind of windproof cycling jacket and keep working so the sweat stays warm?

I find I sweat a LOT more riding my Unicycle than I ever have bicycling, even in really cold weather :o

Endura Flyte ,Venturi 2 or Stealth Jackets, super waterproof and very breathable.

My Original Venturi lasted me 4+ years and I have just bought a Flyte, Pricey but worth 3 times what they cost in improving riding enjoyment (they last well which makes them good value). I wear an Endura BaaHaa milano wool base layer (frickin awesome) and zipped fleece (if very cold) under the Jacket and this setup is fantastic for 75% of the horrible uk weather

I don’t bother with water proof leg wear but wouldn’t ride without my waterproof socks from Sealskin

People happily spend on a bike/uni but when it comes to riding clothes everyone seems to resent spending a decent amount of money, at the end of the day feeling cold wet and horrible will make even the most expensive bike/uni feel awful.

I use a pair of rainlegs. I find them a good compromise for my “a to b” riding.
They are quicker to put on and they roll up smaller than “proper” waterproofs, but you don’t stay as dry, which you notice after the ride.
If you have got into a heavy downpour with them, you really want to change your trousers. But at least you are not freezing.

Consider a gilet, or something with detachable sleeves. YMMV, but I find my arms are the most comfortable place to lose excess heat from. My chest, OTOH, needs to be kept warm. A gilet helps me to keep my chest comfortable when a full jacket would cause me to overheat.

In cold weather I normally ride in a Gillet with a cotton hoodie underneath, but it’s not that good in the rain and snow as I discovered this morning.

I started using the gillet when I was learning to ride a few weeks ago because it had zip up pockets to put my keys in and didn’t make me too hot like a fleece jacket does.:wink:

Well, it has been a dreadful day here: gusty, whole trees waving in the wind, and cold driving rain. I sat in the house miserable. I practised the concertina until my elbows hurt. I fiddled about with the Role Playing Game combat rules I’ve been designing since 1978. I played some more concertina. I read my book. I had another cup of tea. I grumbled at my wife.

Then I browsed this forum and found this thread, with my own advice, written just over 6 years ago, about riding in the rain!

Thus chastened, I put on a T shirt, thin long sleeved top, and another T shirt, and my long sleeved breathable and vented cycle jacket. I put on my Lycra shorts and my vaguely wind resistant cycling trousers, some hiking socks, cycle shoes, my helmet, and my fingerless gloves.

Out on the 29 (now equiped with mudguard!) into the dark and stormy night. I did a couple of miles of road, half a mile of muddy pot-holed puddly farm track, then another 3 or 4 miles of road, with a couple of small hills along the way.

Half a mile into the ride, I was ready to give up. Head and fingers were cold.

A mile into the ride I was warm enough.

At the end of the pot-holed farm track I was unzipping my jacket a bit.

By the time I got home, my shorts were soaked with sweat.

I’ve had better rides, but it wasn’t a bad 'un, and I needed the exercise.

Thanks to the 6 years younger Mikefule, and to this forum, and the people who revived the thread.

Push past the first mile and you are laughing in crap weather, it is really only strong wind that gets to me I HATE WIND :angry:

I am sure you would agree that in the UK if we didn’t ride in the rain we would never ride :wink:

Chew your food more. :wink:

In Orkney if you don’t ride in wind you would never ride at all. :wink:

For real cold: one piece Marmot powder suit. Warm, waterproof, breathable, and visible; cost me $50 new as a closeout because most people wouldn’t be caught dead wearing it. :slight_smile:

image.jpg

Love that suit - my favourite colour :smiley:

I ordered a waterproof jacket this morning in a very similar shade, so it matches my helmet. I figure I’d rather sweat and be warm than let the cold snow and sleet hit me while riding.

When i ride in the cold i wear a soft shell jacket and jean and woll socks and thick gloves. this is when its below 20

Wait, you live in California, right? Does it even rain there? :roll_eyes:

I live in a place where it rains a lot, year round, worse time is clearly Winter when the mud doesn’t dry and the temps are lower.

Generally speaking, I avoid riding when it’s raining, so I try to ride before a rain event, wait until things dry a bit, or when pressed I’ll ride after a rain.

I wear shorts year round, only using a pant or tight when it’s especially cool.

I wear Teva shoes because they don’t soak up water and they dry fast: http://www.teva.com/mens-links-mountain-biking-shoes/4304,default,pd.html?dwvar_4304_color=CLGY&start=3&cgid=mens-shoes-bike

For my uppers I wear a wicking bike jersey, sometimes I long sleeved Patagonia polypro, and my favorite wind vest: http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/men/ride/apparel/6.-productCode-11131016.html#3DM

I also have a long sleeve wind jacket, I think it’s OR, I only wear it on esp cold days.

On my hand I wear wrist braces and bike gloves, long or short fingered depending on the weather. When it’s really chilly I wear a nylon mitt shell over the braces/gloves, this keeps down the evaporative cooling.

It really comes down to what keeps you comfortable. I tend to stay warm, so I try to avoid sweating when it’s cold. Use layering top and bottom. Using light layers with a breathable wind shell is a good way to manage evaporative cooling issues.

Always carry an emergency blanket in the Winter.

If it is not windy and I’m headed to work, I use an umbrella. If it’s windy and rainy, I like to ride up certain trails with decent drainage. Nothing like riding up a muddy mountain just to get blasted off the unicycle by a wind gust. Sometimes I wear rain pants, but if I’m going to get that wet, I just wear my usual stuff. I have an extra pair of 5.10s. Boots take days to dry out.