Weight of Unicycle Matter??

Do the better unicycles have less weight, or doesn’t it matter? What are the signs of a very good unicycle. I currently have a Torker LX.

Well, at least for me, there’s a range of weight where it doesn’t really make a difference (10-13 pounds) but once you go over that I find I get tired easier. But it kinda comes down to preference, generally the lighter the better.

Weight, Matter and Unicycle Matter

I agree that in a normal range weight does not matter much. Hopping may be helped by unusually light unicycles. Hill climbing and “nimbleness” may be improved by a relatively light spinning weight.

The exception might be dark matter. Dark matter increases the gravitational attraction in spinning objects. If your unicycle is associated with lots of dark matter, that may adversely affect its performance. The effect is larger with larger objects, so a 19" will show a minimal effect, but a 36" may start to show enhanced gravitational effects, which cannot be good.

As long as you are dealing with Newtonian mass you are probably OK.

Scott

It doesn’t just depend how much weight, but where it is.

For example, because each part of the rim and tyre travels further than the frame or seat (because it also goes round and round as it goes along) a heavy wheel/tyre combination will make a big difference.

Another example: on a road uni with handlebars, if you have your bars on a long extension, and clutter them up with headlights, brackets, etc., the uni will steer more slowly because when you try to pivot on the spot, all that weight has to start moving round in a big circle, then move, then stop moving.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I have a 29 with a double walled rim and a big fat heavy tyre. It cruises much faster than my 28 with a skinny single walled road rim, and a 23mm lightweight tyre.

The skinny/light wheel will start and stop, speed up and slow down, much more readily than the fat/heavy wheel. So it’s easier to idle on the light one (lots of changes of direction needed) but it’s easier to cruise over bumpy surfaces on the heavy one (lots of momentum to smooth out minor forces caused by bumps and hollows in the terrain).

If I wished to hop or drop, I would want a light uni.

A bit of weight on the frame or seat has less effect than weight on the wheel rims. The easiest way to save 2 Pounds weight is not to take a bottle of water with you, or not to carry tools. The best way is not to habitually consume more calories than you expend.

But there is more to a high quality uni than weight. You really can tell the difference if you go from an El Cheapo to something like a KH.