Weekend Rides, Daylesford/Hepburn region, Victoria Australia

Hey lunicycle,
Looks like you’ve been getting some pretty good numbers to your monthly rides. I almost think its about time there was an Australian Mountain unicycling Weekend. I went to the last one that was organised in '04 in Brisbane by Andrew Carter and it was a hoot. I know i’m biased but i think that Canberra would be a great place to host a long weekend style event. We have the national MTB course at mt Stromlo which has such a great variety of singletrack in the one place, as well as great trails at Mt. Majura and out at Queenbeyan. Canberra has a pretty good unicycling community (ACTURS) and would be a good compromise travel wise for those people in Syd/Newcastle/Woolongong/Blue mountains/ and Melbourne. I know that Unicon is probably the next big thing for most keen riders but maybe an AMUW in 2010 would be a good idea. I’m kinda against competitions etc because of the sheer organisational pressure that puts on certain people, but having a time, set of locations, and a social event or two might be a great way to spread the Muni love.

What do you think?
mark

heya Mark an aussie MUni weekend sounds like it would be worth a shot, especially if it was social (i.e. non competitive). Canberra does sound like a handy location, though for me personally it’s never easy to get a full weekend off to attend events like that, as well as justifying the costs etc involved going interstate on top of the uni stuff going on locally.

Not really handy for interstate guys but I’ve been thinking Forrest here in Victoria would make for a fun MUni weekend location - hoping to get there before summer.

Next Monthly MUni: Sunday September 13th

Informal, social MUni rides in the Wombat Forest, Victoria Australia, second sunday of every month.

Next Monthly MUni: Sunday September 13th

Where: Wombat MTB Trail, Woodend

Meet at 11.15am at the second MTB Trail entry point car park, intersection of Finger Post Rd, Taylor Rd, Boldiston Rd, Woodend. See map below. Ride commences at 11.30am, returning to trail entry at approx 2.00pm followed by munchies at the Woodend Bakery.

Trail Notes:

Wombat MTB Trail includes over 30km of single track created by the local MTB crew. The trail is narrow, twisty and relatively flat, much less climb and descent compared to the trail ridden in Monthly MUni 03. The trail is one way traffic and is popular with weekend MTB riders, we’ll need to move at a decent speed and keep out of the way.

The trail does get very slippery in wet conditions (great fun!). Narrow tire uni’s aren’t suitable for this ride.

24″ MUni minimum wheel size recommended.

Getting There:

Coming from Melbourne? Take the Woodend Exit off the Calder Freeway, heading towards Woodend on the Calder Highway. Look out for the ‘Old Calder Highway’ signs on your left, then turn into Finger Post Road. View Googlemap of ride entry/meeting point.

Trail Pics and Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRoQwP78SIU

More info at http://unplannedismounts.com/monthly-muni-rides/

Monthly MUni 04

Monthly MUni 04

More pics etc at:
http://unplannedismounts.com/2009/09/13/monthly-muni-ride-04/

After a few days of sunny weather the MTB Singletrack at Woodend was primed to be in great condition for Monthly MUni 04! The weather gods have certainly smiled on us over the last few MUni rides.

The group gathered around numerous challenges along the way.

The end of ride photo turned into something else. What exactly? No idea!

More pics etc at:
http://unplannedismounts.com/2009/09…-muni-ride-04/

Next Monthly MUni: Sunday October 4th

Oops, October 11th not 4th

Brain fade - next monthly MUni is NOT this Sunday Oct 4 as posted above but the the second Sunday which is Sunday Oct 11.

(Unfortunately it works out to be the same day as the Bathurst 1000 which is a bit of a bummer as I usually sloth around and watch the telecast all day)

Not sure where the ride will be yet, might end up using the trails at the base of Mount Macedon again which were great fun a couple of rides back.