webcast for tallest uni attempt

So did he make it or what?

Pete

Yeah, did he make it?

We need an answer, please. Anyone have any stats? --chirokid–

Yeah, 4 am here and still up doing my report. Main thing stopping me just crashing on the bed is the piles of paper on it. 12 pages of pictures of roman siege engines, all referenced.

I wanna know if he did it!

Fool.

Run out of milk so now drinking tea with lime in it (run out of lemmon).

Sigh

Roman siege engines? 115 foot unicycle?

How oddly appropriate!

and…
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I’m wondering too. Forum members went there to watch. Those that were there are not holding up to their end of the bargain and letting us know what happened. They were supposed to be our eyes and ears.

Unless…

I see two possibilities:

1. Sem was successful and everyone went to the pub to celebrate and got too drunk to report back

2. Sem made everyone sign an NDA (nondisclosure agreement) that prevents them from divulging the outcome before the press release comes out tomorrow morning

The forum regulars who went to watch and then didn’t report back to us need to be punished when they return.

I agree with you John, those who did not report should be punished. You got me excited to hear the outcome of the attempt! Hopefully it will be obvious when we awake tomorrow morning. I do fear that it didn’t go so well because it is not being broadcast…

–Irene

its late and still no info.my latest google search only gave me this

http://www.romeoobserver.com/story.asp?storyid=1010

surely by now there must be someone on the forums who can put me out of my misery and tell me what happened with sem’s record attempt?

There was about a 2 second clip on the news last night, and from what I can tell, he’s lucky he was wearing a crane.

(very hard to see though)

that doesn’t sound good
what did they say on the news bulletin?
or where u watching the news with the sounf off and the music loud again?
:wink:

I was pretty drunk by that time, but the news reporter maybe said 5 words, along the lines of look at him, or something, no name, no spefics, it jsut appeared as though his giraffe was leaning at a huge angle, and appeared to not be anywhere near any landing platform, but it may have been.

seriously, it was like a 2-3 second clip (of the top 15 feet or so of the giraffe…pretty lame coverage)

ok, is there anyone else on the forums right now with any more news?

Well I was there, but i’m in class now… have to keep it short.

i saw the first six or so attempts… each attempt was mildly successful, he rode no more than thrity feet, since that’s all the chain would allow… It was two peices of chain held together by two tensioned cables.

the cranes and harnesses looked to be causing most of the problems. as Impressively as the uni was engineered, the hoisting company really screwed things up in my opinion. I’m not sure how much sem was involved in the layout…
He had to ride against the resistance of a rolling trolly on a suspended i beam, no starting or landing platform. he just jumped out of the “manbasket…” and held onto it till he was ready and then went for it… the trolly design looked like a disaster. metails later tonigth when i’m done getting my learn on.

rumor was circulating that guiness was under the impression that he was supposed to ride as far as the last guy (the cheater) did to break the record, but with the chain design that was impossible. So i don’t know if the record will officially hold, that would be a shame.

There were maybe a hundred people there. I didn’t recognize anyone. mingling was at a minimum because no one could bring their unicycles into the silverdome contrary to what everyone was apparently told. it was hard to tell who rode and who was just there watching.

The ride was successful! The distance of 28 feet was the longest ride. We will have pictures and video up on the site soon. Thanks to all that came out to support — Darren Bedford, Paul Fox, Jan and Emil Layne, Mike Gilligan, Dick Haines, Arron Anderson, Eric Peterson, all the RTUC gang, the Uni basketball group, and everyone else who came out to watch – and to all the people that worked hard on the project - you know who you are!

Teresa

He did it!

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wayne/0401/30/d03-50379.htm

Now I just need to wait for the pictures and video.

rode a 115-foot-tall what now?

115ft giraffe muni

well done sem!!
:slight_smile:

Did he do any hopping? Yay! Congrats.