Washed up has been . . .

Thanks John. There was a time when riding longer distances on the american river parkway and starting to ride some MUNI were in my plans, I figured we would cross paths somewhere.

When you mentioned your 45" I thought of when a few days ago a friend was over and he looked at my 29" wheel and said “that’s a big wheel”. I explained that there were people who rode 36" wheels. I can only imaging what his (or anyones) shock would have been at seeing a 45" wheel. Hell, I’m not sure the size wouldn’t shock me!

Yes, this “devasted” feeling is one I know. It came around week 12 as I realized that this was not a ‘normal’ overuse injury that would respond to some solid time away from riding.

I applaud everyone who was able to come back from an injury. It’s what I fully expected to happen at some point. I have done many sports (to list them all would sound like bragging) and the process of rest/rehab/return from an injury is one I know well. It’s part of what makes this one so hard to take. If there was some real, even if slow, progress my outlook would be very different.

Thanks.

Happy, still trying to figure that word out. But I was happy riding.

I already have plans to go back to juggling clubs and throwing some frisbee. Might try to find an Ultimate frisbee team to play on.

If I had the money I’d go back to flying hang-gliders. It’s pretty easy to be happy doing something like flying a hang glider.

BUT if the choice was to magically have the money to fly hang-gliders again or magically be able to ride with only the normal limits of being 53 years old . . .

Unicycling would win. At this point in my life, I’d rather reach some of uni goals.

Now where did I put those juggling clubs. . .

I’m trying not to say it… but I think I should… because it’s very true…I can’t resist.

“When there’s a will, there’s a way” I hate myself for giving in.

I can think of lots of things that are more important than unicycling. I’ve got good health, a good-paying job with decent benefits, a secure future, I live in one of the most prosperous countries in the world, I’m not threatened by war, I have a roof over my head and I live in comfortable surroundings with friends and a good family. I’m extremely lucky and grateful to have all these things.

I would be depressed if I couldn’t unicycle, but considering all that I have, it would be ridiculous for me to dwell on this possibility. I would find some other hobby and be thankful that I’m able to choose one. Unicycling is not the most important thing in my life, and it never will be.

I have problems with severe depression, and rampant emotions. Unicycling provides the exercise I need to release good chemicals in my body, burn fat, and make me feel better about myself while having fun at the same time (the fun part is a huge factor since I have a horrible attention span, and will absolutely give up and do something else if I’m not having fun or don’t have small goals to motivate me)

Unicycling is important to my health and well being, and that is why I ride. I haven’t ridden for almost 4 days now due to weather and overwhelming work load, and it is driving me crazy.

I am not really up-to-date on medical treatments, but would knee replacement surgery be a reasonable treatment?

Scott

Actually, except for Graston Therapy, chiropractors don’t do the other treatments I listed (depending on state laws, some do dry needling). I would search for the therapies online to see who does them in your area.

As far as finding a good chiropractor… That can be tough :slight_smile:
One that does a lot of rehab, functional movement and understands that “cracking” joints is good in instances where mobility issues are present bit as soon as every thing is moving ok, you have to control the movement through stabilization exercises.

I am glad to see you around these parts again Ezas.

Sorry to hear about the knee trouble. I have no advice only good wishes for you. :frowning:

It’s pretty important to my well being as well. I have bad insomnia and the sleep med’s give me crazy, horrible, and very realistic dreams. Also sleep on sleep meds is not very restive sleep.

The hour long rides on my 29" were enough to make me sleepy at a good time without meds. But the hour long rides seem to be what set my knee off.

You have my admiration and gratitude for sharing so honestly about where unicycle fits in your life.

Good question. But no, since the issue is not with the mechanics of the knee. I use the term knee simple since it’s easier than saying ‘the tendons that attach to my patella hurt today’.

The issue is where the quadriceps ‘insert’ into the knee caps There are four big muscles that come down into a bunch of fibrous sheaths. Those sheaths are the problem.

A - the Patellar tendon is the issue. Or as best as I can figure given my symptoms.

http://qigongweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Knee-Points.jpg

Also no insurance and I think knee replacements run about $50K each.

I’ve always like your posts. You are often the voice of reason.

I’ll gladly accept those good wishes.

To everybody, this thread has helped turn my attitude more positive. Thanks to each of you for helping to refocus my rehab into a more ‘this can work’ feeling rather that a ‘this probably won’t work’ feeling.

i’m going to need ‘can do’ to get past something as stubborn as this. I have added some changes to my routine and the results are so far positive.

ezas, you probably can qualify for an electric scooter to get around. get your doctor to write a scrip for one and then follow JF’s advice and get a self balancing unicycle. Stay with us. We could use a resident SBU expert. I forgot the name of the self powered uni that wasn’t self balancing.

Elleven years ago I broke my back and now I have partial paralysis (~ 35% in hips, glutes, & lower back, 25% in hamstrings, 90+% below the knee left side worse on all). Now I need to use custom AFO braces to walk (see avatar). About two years ago on a Muni ride in a mild UPD I stepped on the side of a mound of dirt and my left brace snaped in half. I don’t have health insuranse right now, and I can’t afford to replace it out of pocket. I found a cheep uncomfortable, unsuportive brace online, so I can still walk.

I’ve thought of making my own custom braces of fiberglass or kevlar, using my current braces as a mold (I’d now have to do the right too since it’s now close to breaking as well), but I haven’t gotten around to trying it. One thing that’s keeping me from doing this is I would have to change the design to eliminate the hinge, but I’d need more ankle flexability and I realy don’t like stretching too much:o :roll_eyes: (I have improved the flex in my achilies by ~ 15 degrees since then, now another 10-15 to go). So asside from the 5 min or less ride a couple of times a month I haven’t done any riding.

Since learning, Muni has been my sole motivation to staying in good shape, so my fitness has dwindled significantly. (When I could Muni I would do a significant amount of other fitness stuff so I could ride better and longer.)

I’m going to give a few of my ideas anyway:o

When riding you may be not keeping your knees in line w/ your feet. I noticed myself doing this soon after I learned, causing my knees to hurt (from reading here it seems common among beginners). My knees often whent in, so I had to focus on keeping them streight and sometimes exagerated and tried to ride w/ my knees going out. After about two weeks I could ride w/ my knees streight w/o thinking about it.
-I still can’t freemount because of the paralysis and every time my I push on my mounting pedal my knee would go in and I couldn’t avoid it. For me learning to freemount I bet would take a hour a day for at least two weeks and my knees could only take a few minutes of that abuse at a time, so I’ve done hardly any practive of this since.

Sometimes when people walk or run they hyperextend their leg. They have to relearn to walk and run properly w/ the help of a physical therapist. I’ve heard of people doing this for years until a PT pointed it out.

There are suplements that help w/ joints, a couple I’ve heard are glucosamine vitamin E and.

Ultimate frisby: You may want to think twice about that. steveyo was dihard into it but it messed up his knees leading him to discover unicycling.

• It seems to me the problem may be intense side pressure exerted on the knee in sudden direction changes and hyperextending the leg.
  • I think soccer would have similar problems and potential benefits. If you avoided the above, it could possibly be good for the knee.

Footbag: I think any side kicks would put stress on the knee. Sometimes when playing w/ friends I feel my leg hyperectend a bit. Comparing my footbag to minimal Uni skills makes me look like a master unicyclist :roll_eyes:

Do lots of different standing yoga balance poses. Make sure the knee stays still and that you are primarily using your shin muscles to maintain your balance. To mix things up do the more basic poses on a balance board or disc.

Strengthen your quads and hamstrings more, especially the hamstrings.

Continue w/ a daily stretching routine w/ the goal of improving flexability. I’ve heard a good target for varios problems is Standing Forward Bend w/ comfortably puting your palms flat on the floor. Also quad and fip flexor flexability - the eventual goal of Reclined Hero. Work up to these levels of flexability w/ restoratve poses. For you doing RH as a stretch would prob be bad, I’d just see how low I could go once in a while as a check of flexablility, since this move can be hard on the knees. To build up these levels I’d do supported restorative poses.

Standing Forward Bend

Reclined Hero

Edit:wow I just realized how loooong that was:o

The balancing is the part I like best. See my post below.

I got a buddy who has seen me go through quite a few leg injuries from martial arts which I gave up about 4 years ago) and he is always bugging me about getting a ‘Rascal’.

Thanks for sharing your challenges. Sincerely I mean that.

I’m without insurance myself. It limits my treatement choices. But if something looked sure enough I could scratch up some cash. What I can’t justify is say 500 or 600 dollars to end up in the same place.

I’m going to comment in line below. I saw that last picture (I do that one) and that is why I’m going to read through and see what you have to say. And clearly your suggestions are going to come from hard won experiences, which is how I feel. Since my knees rarely hurt while I’m doing something, what helps and what ‘hurts’ has been a long process of trial and error.

Thanks your recommendations.

I have rotated more hamstring curls back into my rehab. I do a LOT of standing balances, many are things we did in martial arts.

What I have changed up is what you mention. Now that my balance has gotten pretty good, I know lock my knee, and like you say use the shin more to hold my place. Another recent (and I hope beneficial change ) that in all stretches where the leg is straight, I pull my knee cap up. This is a very subtle difference from locking the leg.

I know not being able to freemount much have much suckage. But i’m jealous you can ride.

I’m snowed in for a couple of day and have not stretched a lot in the past two days, and my knees are letting me know right now, so I plan to get some good quality rehab in the next couple of days

Thanks for your long thoughtful reply. Nice to get input from someone else who has deeply considered the whole bio-mechanics thing AND has deep interest in the outcome of the work. I wish you well in moving forward with continued improvement.

I read this today and wanted to add it to the thread:

“For the first time, I realized why I loved Gymnastics so. It gave me a blessed respite from my noisy mind. When I was swinging and somersaulting, nothing else mattered. When my body was active, my mind rested in the moments of silence.”

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

I’m sure this is not news to most. And most of us at some point in our lives has done some activity that totally absorbed us, in fact REQUIRED it. For me it was tournament sparring. Oblivious to everything but watching my opponent.

Bull riders, Ice climbers, downhill mountain biking, etc. Concentration or face plant. (you would never get me on a frozen water fall ‘hanging’ from my pointy toes and an ice Axe)

But here is where I think Uni has a unique quality. As I mentioned there are sports that require your complete attention, period. And then there are things we can do with no attention at all. For most of walking . . . riding a bicycle. Once we are moving gyroscopic stability pretty much handles balance. Only in cornering are we required to compute lean angles and friction coefficients, also called ‘am I going to slip in that loose sand in the corner’?

But just riding a along no ‘balance’ required.

But when we ride a Uni, we all know there is subtle little shift of the balance. Not that anyone watching would see it, but a minute shifts of our core and pedal pressure to do this ‘balance on a point thing’, which is a pretty unique thing. Skis, skateboards, all pretty stable in comparison.

But it’s not just the little shifts, there is the ‘scan’. The scan for cracks and bumps that require a little pedal pressure, a slight lean back or a wiggle of the wheel.

Of course most of us have reached the point in riding where we can think about what we are having for dinner, are we going to have to sleep in the dog house again . . . mindless mental chatter. BUT we have to balance and keep the scan going.

I believe that this slight but constant adjustment occupies just enough of our mind that calms it. Even if you are thinking about dinner, or what movie you are going to watch, the atta boy you got at work today, you have to keep the ‘gyro’ going and do the scan.

I know for me this ‘slight’ level of stimulation is what makes unicycle such a ‘fun’ thing to do and what makes me miss ‘just riding’.

I wonder has anyone here ridden so much, for so many years that just riding along is boring? If its not Muni or Street, or practicing a new skill, you would just as soon stay at home and catch up on some chores?

I ask because when I think about going to back to riding I imagine my distance/fitness rides on the 29". Of course I think about getting back to Idling and learning to ride backwards, someday hopping up and down things like unigeezer, but the fantasy is cruising along on the 29" enjoying life on one wheel.

You know I’ve found lately that I’m actually more comfortable sitting on a uni than I am walking (even not moving, just propped up against something sitting on the uni) So it doesn’t really matter what I’m doing, at least for the moment.

I have noticed sitting on a uni forces me to have slightly better posture. But not nearly as much as when sitting on a kneeeling chair.

I was that way from day one. The sole reason why I got interested in unicycling is Muni and almost evry bit of riding was at least partly for improving my skill. When I would commute I’d take a longer route riding challenging terrain and I’d do it on my 20. Yes it’s a bit slow and it doesn’t roll over bumps well, but that’s why I ride it. Small bumps become more challenging, has little momentum, and I’m going slower and am lower to the ground, so UPD’s are less scary. I find that when I get back on my 24 Muni it’s easier to roll over bumps and maintain my momentum over series of bumps and up hills.

Twisting side to side on the uni used to make my bad SI Joint feel better.

Today my left knee gave a nice ‘ping’ to let me know not to get seduced by a few good days.