Wanted: Broken hub

I’m looking for a hub with broken flanges for a project that I just thought of. It can be ISIS, or not. It has to have a crank spindle that is in tact and in good working order (not twisted or bent).

If you have a hub like this laying around destined for the scrap metal pile, I would love it if you would send it my way. I don’t have much money to put into this, so shipping will probably be the extent of what I can pay.

Thanks,

Jerry

if you just want the spindle, use a bike spindle, you should be able to pick one up at your local bike shop for a couple of dollars.

http://www.bikeworldusa.us/Bottom-Bracket-Axle-Bolt-Type-73/M/B000YT3EAK.htm

It will be cheaper than shipping a broken unicycle hub.

jim

I might be able to break one for you.

I think you got the same idea as me, but I wont tell you because if it’s not this you’ll have my idea plus yours…:stuck_out_tongue:

The problem is getting a bottom bracket spindle long enough for a unicycle. My uni spindles are 165mm long.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a regular bb spindle that long.

Now I’m curious.

Both of you just tell me and I will tell you if they are any different.:wink:

I have a couple of bike hubs that I want to convert to uni hubs using a spindle from an old uni hub.

One idea is to make a 32 hole disc brake hub.

Sounds cool. I would have no idea how to do that.

hehehe, you dont have the same idea as me, but mine wont works until I know how to weld and until I get a welding machine…
Good luck with your thing! and sorry I dont have a broken hub for you.

My idea is going to require some welding too. I have a friend who is an expert welder who can do the job.

I want to try to braze a sleeve over the spindle with a helical thread that mates a similar one that will be fixed to the inside of the hub shell. There will be lock nuts on either side that will also act as spacer’s for the bearings. This configuration should make it so that the spindle could be replaced if it ever bent or twisted. The other thing I was thinking was to make it so that you could alternately put square taper or ISIS.

I won’t really know the extent of my plans until I get the raw materials and see where it leads.