Want to purchase good 28/29 road unicycle

Hello:

I am new to this forum but I have read through many of the recent threads looking for an answer to my question. Sorry if this has been addressed previously.

I have had a 20" Schwinn unicycle since childhood (circa 1980) but I would like to upgrade to a larger wheel for road/sidewalk use, e.g. getting across campus from my car, etc. It seems from the previous posts that a 28 or 29 inch wheel with shorter cranks is good for travelling distances on paved surfaces.

I don’t need anything fancy but would also like something that can withstand a few bumps (curbs) and can also handle a 220 lb rider.

From my shopping so far I see the Semcycle 28" XL Standard on unicycle.com, which is in my price range and seems to be well built. Can anyone advise if this has the dreaded “lollipop” bearings or if there is a better seat for this unicycle. I only have experience with the Schwinns.

Thanks for your help.

Phil

You’re in luck! This exact question is being discussed in another thread at this exact moment! Right now, the commuter Yuni seems to be the weapon of choice.
Check out that thread. Much more information.

The Semcycle 28" XL Standard has main cap bearing holders. No lollipops.

The 28" Sem XL has a weird tire size. It’s not a 700c rim. It’s some sort of weird 28" size. Tire selection is going to be slim for that size. I’m not sure how fat (how wide) the 28" tire is on the Sem. The heavier you are the fatter you want the tire. A big guy on a skinny tire (anything 1.75" or smaller is skinny) isn’t going to work as well.

Something built with a 700c rim will offer more tire selction than the Sem 28". Something like the Yuni 29er.
<http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=601>
The 29er wheel size gets you a 2.1" wide tire and a good selection of other tires.

I don’t know how well a 29er or the Sem 28" would handle a 220 lb rider. Any of the large guys have experience with a 29er or Sem 28"? How well does a wheel of that size hold up with a larger rider?

Another alternative would be something with a 26" wheel. There are lots of different 2.1" and wider road tires available in the 26" size. For example the 26 x 2.35 Schwalbe Big Apple. A 26" wheel will be stronger than a 28" or 29er due to the reduced wheel size (assuming the 26" has a good rim and a good wheel build). There are also some very stout 26" rims available that are stronger than any of the 28" or 29er rims.

I don’t have direct experience, but I did some riding with father and son Stoltzfus in Moab–both of whom are at least 220–and they swore by the durability of their 26" Hunter setups. They were high-end, with the full Profile-based wheel, but their size/weight was not an issue even in the muni conditions, which featured drops of greater-than-curb height.

Re: Want to purchase good 28/29 road unicycle

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:27:55 -0500, schroder
<schroder.rakgn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I am new to this forum
Welcome then!

>From my shopping so far I see the Semcycle 28" XL Standard on
>unicycle.com, which is in my price range and seems to be well built. Can
>anyone advise if this has the dreaded “lollipop” bearings or if there is
>a better seat for this unicycle.
Semcycles are well-built indeed and should have no problem with your
weight. The XL has main cap bearing holders that are OK. I think
Semcycle offers either the XL seat or the Deluxe seat on the XL model;
the latter of the two is generally considered more comfortable. Seat
comfort is a personal thing though. For distance riding, I prefer the
Velo KH seat over any of the two Semcycle seats.

If you prefer the Yuni II 28" as suggested by some (I have one myself
too), you might want to try and get a Suzue hub as opposed to the
standard hub which is not overly strong IMHO. Especially if you use
long cranks like 150 mm.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”

Definately don’t buy anything that doesn’t have a 700c rim. It’s criminal that people are still selling stupid rim sizes on unicycles, no bike shop would sell you a bike like that any more except as a retro curiosity.

The Yuni 29 inch touring cycle on there would be much much better than any of the semcycle options, as it can take a massive tyre. If you’re really worried about the effect of your weight on it, you might want to see if you can upgrade it to a 48 hole Mavic T219 (the cheaper heavier one of the two mavic touring rims available) and a 48 hole suzue hub.

Joe

If you’re in the US, the Yunis from unicycle.com have suze hubs which should be strong enough.

Since you’ll be riding relatively short cranks the rim is likely to be the weakest link.

Here are a few tips to avoid tacoing your wheel:
Keep the wheel True, check the Tension of the spokes.
Good Technique helps (straight landing, roll off curbs instead of jumping off etc.)
Alot of the forces on the wheel can be absorbed by the tyre, so a big cushy tyre, so don’t run your tyrepressure too high (of course don’t let it bottom out either :slight_smile: ).

Mnemonics: True, Tension, Technique, Tyre :slight_smile:

Morten

Re: Want to purchase good 28/29 road unicycle

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 03:21:49 -0500, Borges
<Borges.rbkcb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>If you’re in the US, the Yunis from unicycle.com have suze hubs which
>should be strong enough.

I was referring to the 28" Yuni (Nimbus) Commuter as offered by
unicycle.uk.com in the UK. Those don’t have a Suzue hub, or at least
that was the case a few months ago.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle”