Walking the dog while riding

Walking the dog while riding

Has anyone tried walking their dog while riding your unicycle.
I would like to try it because I have a dog. I dunno about it if I Can or not too because He’s soooooooo Powerful. So Powerful It’s a Trifecta at the races. My dog is a Whippet Part Greyhound.
He’s weight about 23Kg, He’s a Very Big small dog and he’s the same height as a Female Greyhound. Don’t believe me, I’ll try my best to put some Photo’s in the Gallery because my Scanner is out of Wack at the moment. Any Suggestion’s.

David.:slight_smile:

It’s impossible to walk a dog while riding a unicycle.

gbus.jpg

Buster!

Re: Walking the dog while riding

Not yet, but that’s been my plan all along, I need to get better at riding before I attempt it though.

Mine’s a Great Pyrenee:
http://www.flum.net/pyrre/bilder/sno9.jpg (That’s her)
http://www.flum.net/pyrre/bilder/cecilia.jpg (Other dogs, but give a better impression of the size.)

She’s strong enough that I don’t expect to stay on the uni if she pulls. Therefor I feel much better about unicycling than bicycling, on a uni I’ll just jump of if I need to and If I fall I’m not going to get tangled in the frame.

Klas

David,

I’ve walked my dog, Cosmo, on my unicycle. It’s lots of fun. I’ve also gone down some bumpy grassy hills with him on the lead but I’m really looking forward to taking him out muni-ing with me when he’s a bit more obediant. Give it a try…it’s great fun. Just don’t let him chase any other dogs while you’re riding along.

Andrew

I walk my pug while riding a unicycle!

Nikki

Please don’t tell us you RIDE your dog, Harper.

Klaas Bil

djm wrote:
> Walking the dog while riding
>
> Has anyone tried walking their dog while riding your unicycle?

That was originally my plan, but the huskies are too scared of Grendel.

> I would like to try it because I have a dog. I dunno about it if I Can
> or not too because He’s so Powerful. So Powerful It’s a
> Trifecta at the races. My dog is a Whippet Part Greyhound.

Unicycling at 40 mph should be fun.

> He’s weight about 23Kg, He’s a Very Big small dog and he’s the same
> height as a Female Greyhound. Don’t believe me, I’ll try my best to
> put some Photo’s in the Gallery because my Scanner is out of Wack at
> the moment. Any Suggestion’s.

Prong collar.
>
> David.:slight_smile:

Oderint dum metuant.
–Lucius Accius, Caligula, Cicero, and current U.S. foreign policy

before i started unicycling i thought i would be walking my dog on a unicycle all the time. but it goes back to my very uncompfertable seat. my dog is very obediante has learned tire = bad.

I walk my 2 dogs (Gordon setters) twice a day with Uni. The easiest way is on a 20" because you have the most control on a 20" and it seems to go at a good pace for the dogs.

After a few years of using my 20" I recently graduated to my 24" Muni. Originally I was uncomfortable with the Muni because it travels a lot farther with each revolution, thus making it easier to hit the dog. If you hit the dog with a Muni you could seriously hurt him/her. I don’t recommend actually doing Muni with a dog (I tried it once) - I merely use the Muni to get to the park, then I let the dogs run around while I practice trials.

To actually Muni with a dog on a leash just doesn’t work - the dog will most likely be all over the place, getting in your way. On urban type rides, you are not constrained so much as to the line you will take on flat pavement. You just keep steering around the dog(s). (The dogs become your obstacle course and you are basically working with them. On a trail, I found that it was just too much - the dog wants to sniff everything and is constantly running in your path.

As long as you feel comfortable enough with your riding ability and your dog’s tendencies, this is a great thing. Riding with a dog or two is challenging and will definitely help improve your skills.

I have a lot of fun walking(running) my dogs on my muni. One of my dogs is very fast and powerful, part sled dog, and weighs about 55lbs. I use a harness on her so she can pull without choking. All she wants to do is run, but for the most part she is good about staying on the trail or sidewalk, unless she sees a cat. I use a 6 foot leather leash and by holding the leash down low I am able to control her pull. It is a wild ride, and being pulled really changes the dynamics of riding a unicycle. While riding with some speed, I can make fast turns with her swinging wide and me leaning hard to the inside of the turn. I have also done 360 spins by wrapping the leash around my back and letting the pull “unwrap” me, just like on a wakeboard. Off road, we go in the creek next to my house and she pulls me up the side. I have not yet taken her on the narrow trails where I usually ride.
My other dog weighs 80 lbs. and is much slower. He has the tendency to suddenly stop. which has caused me a couple of finger sprains from the leash.
It all depends on the dog, and how much excitment you are up for, but it can be a lot of fun. My neighbors get a kick out of it.

Scott

I’ve walked my 70-lb Golden Retriever on my old 20-inch uni, with a Flexi lead. That’s the retractable type, so she really doesn’t pull on me - until the line runs out. :astonished:

The other dog-walkers are usually impressed, but the dogs could care less.

It’s funny though, just the weak pull of the spring in the lead will start to rotate me if I ride along straight with the leash in one hand. I have to keep switching hands to balance the torque.

Tim

Oddly enough I went to bed last night and dreamt that Harper lived on my street. I was riding down towards my house and saw Buster out playing in the road…

Here is a picture of Jeff Sloan taking his dog Diego for a little muni ride on Tiger Mountain. Even when we got to the singletrack trail Jeff still kept Diego on the leash.

It’s funny how Jeff is always smiling on the climbs.

jeffsloananddiego.jpg

S_Wallis wrote:
> I have a lot of fun walking(running) my dogs on my muni. One of my
> dogs is very fast and powerful, part sled dog, and weighs about
> 55lbs. I use a harness on her so she can pull without choking. All
> she wants to do is run, but for the most part she is good about
> staying on the trail or sidewalk, unless she sees a cat. I use a 6
> foot leather leash and by holding the leash down low I am able to
> control her pull. It is a wild ride, and being pulled really changes
> the dynamics of riding a unicycle. While riding with some speed, I
> can make fast turns with her swinging wide and me leaning hard to the
> inside of the turn. I have also done 360 spins by wrapping the leash
> around my back and letting the pull “unwrap” me, just like on a
> wakeboard. Off road, we go in the creek next to my house and she
> pulls me up the side. I have not yet taken her on the narrow trails
> where I usually ride.

You are the coolest person in the universe.

Video, please.

Scott & the Woo Crew: Sparky, Penny, and Diva; Siberian Huskies
Extraordinaire

The reason I’m waiting until my dog is a little bit more obediant is that I want to go muni-ing with him off the leash.

I’d love to see videos of those 360 spins too.

Andrew

Re: Re: Walking the dog while riding

Aw, shucks, Scott. I ain’t no big deal.:slight_smile:
I had never thought about getting a video of it but now I guess I will have to. I can see it now: “When Good Dogs Go Uni”.

Scott

Yea. I’d love to do that. One of my dogs is 11 and can’t keep up. The other is one year old. He’s a bird dog. He goes absolutely ape at the sight of a squirrel. Maybe I should figure out how to train him properly to stay with me.

Joe

Re. Walking the dog while Riding.

Thanks Everyone. Very helpful Info that was Especially Merrill, Andrew Carter & S_Wallis. I have to laugh all your Topic’s from other’s. I’m going to the Fun day hopefully in April to see Shandy (that’s his name folks and he’s a male Whippet dog) run against his brother’s and other Whippets too. We don’t do bets on Whippet Races anymore because it’s outlaw many years ago.
This one is for Medals and Ribbon’s. It’s a people’s dog because They’re lazy and takes up your lounge. A lounge lizard more likely and they do love to lay down on a double bed too. :astonished:
I’d better see what he’s doing now, probably asleep again.

David.

HEY EVERYONE CALL ME DAVID IF YOU CAN! NO OFFENCE AT ALL. INSTEAD “DJM” THAT’S MY NICK-NAME I GET ALOT ALL THE TIME. Please no offence, Thanks.:slight_smile:

I’ve ridden on my KH 20 with two dogs on leash. My dog is a docile 110 lbs and not a problem. The other dog was a black lab weighing about 60 lbs, and would sometimes strain on the leash. When a dog pulls on the leash it actually adds stability, so I wasn’t thrown off balance nor was there any safety concerns. When going up hills it was really nice having a hyper dog tugging on the leash!

I was just on a gravel path, and let the dogs off leash when we entered the woods. I wouldn’t want to be muni’ing while holding onto a leash.

byron.