I know it’s been done. I recall seeing pics where a section of the foam was cut out to hold an inner tube. I’m doing this to my Viscount but have run into qustions like how much foam to cut away? tube size? do I need a tube sock? etc. etc.
I’ve pulled the cover off and have started hoping it would be a weekend project. My backup seat is the original Torker saddle. I’d rather not go back to it if I really screw this up. Please send along any words of advise via reply or PM.
i have perfromed this opperation, with the help of an upholstrer mind;)
i dont think we removed any of the origonal foam, apart from maybe a bit near the back where the vlave needed to stick through.
i used a 12.5" inertube, but this was the wrong size, the next one up was 14" i should have used that really. my friend (the upholstrer) re covered it in denim, which was rather narly (it went all worn-look after a while:D ) we also put some low density foam inbetween the innertube where there was no inertube, which worked ok. it was ok i suppose, better than before but not all that great.
if i were you i’d get a miyata and convert that, i use the KH now and they’re comfortable enough.
I’ve done alot of searching to try to find out the best way to make a Viscount air saddle. I’ve read alot of instructions but does anyone have any pics? Specifically a pic of the proper amount and location of foam removal. Also what is the preferred tube size? Thanks for any input.
I originally used a 16’’ tube folded in four but it kept getting punctures, then I replaced it with an inner tube from a mountain board wheel stuffed in a sock which seems to work fine, I cut out the foam to fit the tube all the way to the seat base plate and then stuck some inner tube over the base plate for protection. Don’t cut out too much foam from the front as this I found was where I didn’t need the air padding but that depends on what size tube you are going to use. It’s Worth bolting on a handle if you haven’t all ready got one when you do the conversion. Then just glue back the cover using some sort of contact adhesive.
I have pictures of mine. Let me dig them up, resize and host. I used a 12" tube. In terms of how much foam to take off, I think the pics will speak for themselves. I never got to the cover. I gave the uni to my brother when I got my Summit. He finished the cover. Wow, I don’t even remember what it looked like. Let me dig up the pics. I have a study session that I have to go to tonight, but I’ll get back to you…
This one is showing the piece of duct tape I put over the tube to keep it from bulging. You can try it, but it didn’t work for me. My brother is running it without the tape right now
This is the rockin’ orange vinyl that is currently covering the seat.
The seat originally went into in a sock to keep the tube in place. My bro later covered it without the sock.
You can see where I drilled the hole. I also put a few strips of duct tape so the edges of the hole don’t cut into the stem.
My brother with the seat in its current state. You can just barely see the outline of the tube.
My original plan was to glue the vinyl down over the sock. My bro covered the tube as is and now he is holding the sides of the cover down with a strip of duct tape running from one side to the other underneath the seat base. This was a huge experiment for me and it kinda got down two ways, so if this is confusing or you don’t understand something, just ask and I’ll be happy to help.
Ok so I guess people like to do it different ways. I like mine the most though.
Remove all the foam on the top of it, leave foam on the sides though this will keep your thighs from getting really raw;) . Make sure you tape all the bolts so your tube dosnt go flat on you.
Use a 12" tube its the perfict size for less fold, the less folding the better makes for a less lumpy seat. Try to see if you can get a wider 12" tube then normal also.
Make a cover Just get like the top of it sketched out to use as a pattern. The other part is about 36x4 its kinda depends how long to make it on the top of it. Oh and eyelets are really needed loops will just rip off.
I put a kinport handle on it and a torker bumper so I had something to hold and the back bumper did fall off every two seconds. Get some bolts the size of the holes in the handle and bumpers. Before that though you have to remove the old way of how the bumpers were held on because they are now in the way of the new parts so grind those parts off. Then drill the new holes where the handle needs to get by marking or just clamping the handle on.
Everything I added